Letters Sent

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Letters Sent

Post by PrlUnicorn »

((Thread reposted here for archival purposes. Originally posted by Marissa on Dec 18, 2016))

The following letter finds its way to Colleen just before the holidays ...

Dearest Colleen,

I am not sure how to address this letter. You have so many titles, yet none of them seem to fit, where I am concerned. Shall I call you Mother, Aunt, Gran? We are not related by blood, and yet we are family. It is confusing at the best of times, but you know all this already.

I want you to know that after all my wanderings, I have at last found my heart's desire. His name is Emrys, and he is Lycan, like my birth-father. Words cannot express how much he means to me. It is like his soul called to me, and my heart answered. We are soul-bonded, promises made beneath the twin moons, with Selene's blessing. We are living in my birth-mother's old cottage in the woods near the Brambles, where we are homesteading. Would you believe we are raising pigs? I do not know why. I cannot bear to kill them. It is quiet and peaceful here, and no one bothers us much. That is a good thing.

I would like to say that I hope this letter finds you well, but I know better. No matter what happens, I ask that you remember how much you are loved by family and friends. I know sometimes it does not seem like enough, but you are never alone, so long as you have them. You have always been like a mother to me, or at least, you are the closest thing that I have to a mother.

I visited my foster mother some months ago, and I brought Duncan and Mara safely to Rhy'Din. It was the last time I tampered with time. I know it changed some things, but hopefully for the better. Some lives were saved, while others may have been forfeit, but I could not bear leaving things as they were.

I have searched long for my foster father, to no avail. I believe he returned to his home world on Earth, and I am content to leave things as they are. I am confident Kirin will be happy where she is. My only regret is that there is no way to visit, without disturbing the past. Once again, I must be content to leave it alone and hope things turn out as they should.

I would like to visit sometime. I would like for you to meet Emrys. I think you would like him. He briefly met Rhi and Gory last night at the ball, and I think he made a good impression. Like me, he has been alone for too long. He is something of a wild thing, and though I do not want to tame him completely, he has much to learn. I must admit, I am having fun teaching him.

He has a sister in Rhy'Din. Her name is Seren Lowell, and she has become a good friend. Her mate is Lycan, too. Emrys turned him some months ago to save his life. You might have heard of him. He is an actor with the Shanachie. His name is Dorian Hadley. We are going away for a few weeks after the holidays to attend their wedding.

So much has happened since we last spoke, too much to share in a letter. Emrys wants children. I do not wish to deny him, but the thought frightens me. I am of mixed blood, and I do not know what kind of offspring to expect. What should I do? Am I worrying too much? I have no answers. I think perhaps that is a topic for another time.

Some of my belongings are still at the brownstone. I find it difficult to live there. There are too many memories there for me now, but I also find I cannot let it go. Perhaps with your blessing, we will live there someday, Emrys and I and our children, and replace those memories with new ones.

Remember what I said. Family is not only measured by blood, but by the bonds of the heart. You are loved by many, and you will always have a place in my heart and my home, as mother and sister and friend. I will get in touch after the holidays, so that we can meet in person. Until then, remember you are always thought of with love and affection.

Marissa

Along with the letter was a small package, and inside the package was a musical globe with an inscription that read "A Mother's Love is Forever", which played "Wind Beneath My Wings".
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Letters Sent

Post by PrlUnicorn »

((Originally posted Mar 30, 2017 ))

My Dear Marissa,

I am sorry it has taken so long for me to reply to you. Abby, Madison, and I had been traveling for several months. The reasons for it are many and varied including not wanting to tamper with time and possibly lose those precious children.

You may call me by any honorific you wish including any variation of mother. My children by birth call you sister, their children call you aunt. What matters is that we are your family and hold you close to our hearts.

I am overjoyed to learn that you have found someone whose heart and soul sing to yours. It is a blessing, not only to you and your lifemate, but to those of us that loved you long before he came into your life. I would love to meet your Emrys.

When last I saw Kirin, she was at peace and happy with her life. That was years ago, but I believe as you do, that she is happy where she is. While she is missed, I find great comfort knowing that she has found what she had always wanted.

As for children with this man you love, follow your heart. Had Lydia, your birth mother, not taken such a chance this family would have been missing your presence. Every child in our family is of some kind of mixed blood. Take things day by day. We will be there for you along that path.

The brownstone belongs to you, I hope that one day you will be able to create new and happy memories there.

Thank you for the beautiful gift. I have placed it on the shelves in my office with the gifts and trinkets given to me by the family over the years.

With love from one of your mothers,

Colleen
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Letters Sent

Post by PrlUnicorn »

((Originally posted by Marissa on Apr 03, 2017))

Maybe it was just the pregnancy, but Colleen's letter brought Marissa to tears, and it was a few days before she could find the right words to reply. Perhaps she should have just visited in person, but she felt Colleen needed to know a few things before Marissa descending upon her with Emrys in tow.

Dear Collie,

Thank you so much for your letter. I have been worried and am relieved to hear from you at last. I know things have been difficult, but I understand your reluctance to tamper with time. I have learned that sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone, rather than risk making matters worse. It is a lesson I have had to learn the hard way, I'm afraid.

I am sorry about all my confusion lately. You should know that I am about four months pregnant and something of an emotional wreck. My moods are as topsy turvy as a rollercoaster lately, and while the thought of becoming a mother scares me, I am excited and happy, too! Really and truly happy. I must credit Emrys for that. You must meet him! He is a wolf like my birth father, but he is also the kindest, gentlest soul I have ever met. I know you will like him, and I know he will make a good father.

You should also know that I recently found my mother's journals, which have helped me understand her better. It is confusing sometimes knowing that I have three mothers - my birth mother, the mother who raised me, and you. I have loved you all in my own way, but in truth, you are the only mother I have left. I hope you do not mind me thinking of you as such. Kirin once told me that family is not only about those who share our blood, but those who share our hearts, and if that is the case, then I am indeed truly blessed with the love of friends and family alike.

I will be in touch soon so that we can talk in person. I am looking forward to seeing you and the girls again, and I am eager for you to meet my Emrys.

With love,
Marissa

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”