Maggie's Past Activities

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Re: Maggie's Past Activities

Post by Mairead Harker »

Calling all speedsters! - 16 Oct 2016 from this thread

The Harker Kids arrived with a strange looking contraption that had been made from a wheelchair that had been taken out of service at Riverview Clinic. It looked more like a rickshaw by the time the trio had gotten finished.

Rick was decked out in something that looked like it was swiped off a NASCAR driver's clothesline. He puffed out his chest and looked at his crew. "Hey, they're starting soon, get a move on!" He took great pleasure in trying to lord it over his sisters that he was driving.

"Pipe down!" Catie said in annoyed tone as she used two wrenches to adjust a few bolts.

"Hey, no messing with the mechanic, little brother!" Maggie had brought along a motor with exactly one horsepower. The black colt was tossing his head. She fastened the straps and buckles of the harness to get him situated between the shafts. "You sure you can drive this, Rick?"

The youngest of the children looked between his sisters with a look that seemed to ask Why me?

Their parents were among the spectators. Albert Hall, their father's lifelong friend, was on kid detail for the day. He did a few safety checks and the Harker Mobile was on its way!

1st Annual Wheelchair Race Winners! - 17 Oct 2016 - from this thread.

A chorus of thank yous was given to Koyan as the Yamaha's keys were turned over to the trio. Maggie looked at the keyring in her hand then to her younger brother and sister in turn; grins and nods were exchanged. They had been in the race for the fun and to help the charity, but never expected to win! This prize had solved a little dilemma for them. The keys were turned over to their safety crew, Albert Hall.

Bertie had a puzzled look on his face as he stared at the keys. There was no denying he was happy to get that sweet machine to show off, but why him and not their father?

Catie giggled. "He lost his words!"

Rick chuckled. "Remember to wear a helmet!"

"Happy birthday a little early, Uncle Bertie," Maggie said with an impish smile.

"Righto! We're going to need an extra helmet!" Bertie grinned as he hugged each child in turn and thanked them.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Maggie arrived with several members of her family and some of the children from Rhydin's Big Brother and Big Sister programs. Blankets were spread out and picnic baskets were set on them. After lunch, Maggie was introducing the children to her theater family and suggested they might want to join up for Shanachie Stars when its next semester began. When Maggie spotted Lyneth, she was filled with joy. Lyneth had a way of bringing out the happiest parts of Maggie's soul. Their chatter sometimes became giggling; they resembled two teenage girls plotting something. Maggie delighted in watching Lyneth doing her big sister duties with Dylan. She offered to hold one of the toddler's hands while Lyneth held the other. An introduction to Ammy's daughter, Ruby, was in order.

Pearl had brought her fiddle and Velen his flute. The couple joined the others with musical instruments and followed along with the tune in progress. Music and dancing were languages that crossed many barriers. Humming and tapping feet could be heard along with laughter of those that had gotten up to dance.

Nicole had the day off; the bistro was closed. She used the time to join the celebration of diversity and play with the youngest of her sisters. Like her, the Littles had the graceful and gently pointed ears of their fey ancestors. They started up a game of tag that gathered in several children and adults. Rhiannon, Eregor, and their twins were among those dashing about on the grass.

Colleen leaned against a tree to watch the spectacle. She knew very well that life was not always about sunshine and finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There would always be those that preached about hatred and how their way was the best one to deal with it. There would be time later to cope with the unpleasant things, but right now, she was at peace watching the families, friends, and colleagues enjoying a beautiful day and fine company.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

The camera swung around a bit and finally Maggie came into focus. "Hi, everybody, welcome to Channel KIDS LIVE! We're coming to you from the Shanachie Theater in the West End of Rhydin. For you Swords Dueling fans, that's around the Dockside District." The camera followed Maggie as she moved toward the poster for the latest production. "You have until next Saturday to see Gremlins! This play is really good for older kids, but the Gremlins might frighten toddlers and pre-schoolers."

A voice interrupted with, "Mogwai!" The camera swung toward Sam Glenn, a seven year old student from Harker's Academy. He had a small version of a Mogwai puppet on his hand and made it wave at the camera.

Maggie joined Sam and scritched the puppet's head with a fingertip. "That's what the Gremlins are called before they get to be Gremlins. This show is scary and funny all at the same time. Mogwais are sweet and kind, but Gremlins ... " Maggie grinned. "That'd be giving away the whole show! If you ever meet a Mogwai in Rhydin, remember the three rules. Never get them get wet, never feed them after midnight, and keep them out of bright light. While you're at the theater, don't forget to try out their cafe. They have hot chocolate this time of year along with a lot of other wonderful goodies. Have fun and enjoy the show!"

The camera spun around and zoomed in on Catie Harker doing a few tap steps. "Don't forget, kids! The new semester of Shanachie Stars will be starting soon. Join up and meet all kinds of cool people! Learn a few things while you're at it!"

A crunching sound echoed in the mic. "Zhis cookie ish really gooof."

Maggie turned the camera to point at the cookie cruncher, her brother, Rick. "Caught ya!"

The camera faded to black, but much giggling ensued along with "Hey, you oughta share!" could still be heard along with running feet.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Day of Thanks - Nov - 2017

Catie and Maggie Harker, just a bit shy of their teenage years, were very busy young ladies. They spent their holiday break between the Shanachie Theater and helping out with the Day of Thanks. Maggie was up to her elbows in dishwater when her brother came in with the next stack to be cleaned.

"How's Catie doing with the gift bundles and food baskets?" Maggie said as she tugged the latex gloves higher up her arms.

"She's got help and a distraction. Uncle Rick is out there playing his guitar and Aunt Chelle's helping with the clothes bundles. One of the knitting guilds just brought in a crate of wool stuff! The kids from school made quilts." Rick look pleased with himself. "I learned to sew the parts together. The layers are another ballgame."

"I made some squares out of our old blankets. Gran said they'd make good baby quilts." Maggie washed and rinsed half the stack of dishes as they chatted. "Mama took some of the kids up to the art room to make their own blankets."

"There are a lot of people coming in. I have to get back to bussing tables." Rick gave his older sister a warm smile. "Doing this stuff makes me glad we have what we have."

"Me, too," Maggie said quietly as she started on the pots and pans.

Meanwhile, Pearl and Velen had gone over to Stardreamer Manor to take part in the festivities there.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Auditions 2017
Company Applied for (Theater/Repertory/Ballet/Band): Please include a preference to be a regular or guest performer Theater and Repertory. Would like to continue to be a guest performer.

Name (inc. title): Miss Mairead Harker

Address: Currently the Cardinal Inn, normally Harkers' Island.

Is there anything concerning your medical history or state of health that is relevant to your application? Yes*/No (*If you answer Yes please give details): My health is normally very good.

How much notice do you need to give to your current employer, if currently employed? I'm currently a junior high school level student at Harker's Academy. My school works with me regarding my theater schedule and volunteer activities including visiting and helping with activities at the children's wing of Riverview Clinic. I take part in other community service projects such as magic shows and various performances for Children's Day.

Previous training pertinent to this application (if any): Music theory, dance (including ballet, and tap), gymnastics training, and weapons training.

Previous experience pertinent to this application (if any): Acted in school plays, dance recitals recitals, member of the Shanachie STARS, and several years as a guest performer at the Shanachie Theater. Most recently, I have been involved with on the spot reporting for Channel KIDS.

Do you have any criminal convictions? Yes*/No (If you answer Yes please give details): No.

Please note - The positions offered by the Shanachie Theater are full time and salaried. Members of the Company and Band will be expected to keep to a strict rehearsal and performance schedule. Sick and holiday pay is non-negotiable and subject to duration of employment. The directorship withhold the right to terminate employment, should contractual obligations not be met.

For her musical piece, Maggie chose "Learn Me Right" from "Brave."

Her monologue was from "Anne of Green Gables."

Mrs. Lynde, I'm extremely sorry I behaved so terribly. I've disgraced my good friends who've let me stay at Green Gables on trial, even though I'm not a boy. I am wicked and ungrateful, and I deserve to be cast out forever. What you said was true; I am skinny and ugly, and my hair is red. What I said about you was true too, only I shouldn't have said it. Please, Mrs. Lynde, forgive me. You wouldn't be so cruel as to inflict a life-long sorrow on a poor orphan. Please. Please, forgive me.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Auditions 2018
Company Applied for (Theater/Repertory/Ballet/Band):Please include a preference to be a regular or guest performer

Theater - Regular, Ballet - guest (would like to be in the Spring Gala, please)
Regular was scratched out and guest written in next to theater. Edits were made in careful printing.

Name (inc. title): Miss Mairead Harker

Address: Harkers' Island

Is there anything concerning your medical history or state of health that is relevant to your application? Yes*/No (*If you answer Yes please give details): No.

How much notice do you need to give to your current employer, if currently employed?

I'm still a junior high school level student at Harker's Academy. My school works with me regarding my theater schedule, sports, and volunteer community activities.

Previous training pertinent to this application (if any):

Music theory, dance (including ballet and tap), gymnastics training, and weapons training.

Previous experience pertinent to this application (if any):

Acted in school plays, dance recitals, member of the Shanachie STARS, several seasons as a guest performer at the Shanachie Theater, and a reporter for Channel KIDS.

Do you have any criminal convictions? Yes*/No (If you answer Yes please give details):

School detention doesn't count, so, no.

P.S. where do I apply to be an usher or help the crew?

Please note - The positions offered by the Shanachie Theater are full time and salaried. Members of the Company and Band will be expected to keep to a strict rehearsal and performance schedule. Sick and holiday pay is non-negotiable and subject to duration of employment. The directorship withhold the right to terminate employment, should contractual obligations not be met.

Maggie chose a monologue from Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland."

ALICE: [Angrily] Why, how impolite of him. I asked him a civil question, and he pretended not to hear me. That's not at all nice.
[Calling after the White Rabbit] I say, Mr. White Rabbit, where are you going? Hmmm. He won't answer me. And I do so want to know what he is late for. I wonder if I might follow him. Why not? There's no rule that I mayn't go where I please. I--I will follow him. Wait for me, Mr. White Rabbit. I'm coming, too! How curious. I never realized that rabbit holes were so dark . . . and so long . . . and so empty. I believe I have been falling for five minutes, and I still can't see the bottom! Hmph! After such a fall as this, I shall think nothing of tumbling downstairs. How brave they'll all think me at home. Why, I wouldn't say anything about it even if I fell off the top of the house! I wonder how many miles I've fallen by this time. I must be getting somewhere near the center of the earth. I wonder if I shall fall right through the earth! How funny that would be. Oh, I think I see the bottom. Yes, I'm sure I see the bottom. I shall hit the bottom, hit it very hard, and oh, how it will hurt!

For her prepared song, she chose, "Girl on Fire."
-------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Note from parent:

Mataya, after reviewing the application Maggie submitted to the Shanachie for this season, I find it necessary to employ the old putting the foot down maneuver. She has resubmitted it and edited as needed. As I am sure you are aware, my daughter sometimes bites off a bit more than she can chew. Due to other commitments, I had considered completely prohibiting her from participating this year, but she enjoys her time at the theater a great deal be it on stage or behind the scenes. Banning the activity would be counterproductive and potentially lead to destructive activities instead of having a much needed creative outlet. Regardless of the some of the things she has been learning like manipulating time, it doesn't mean that her adolescent body is ready to cope with the toll it will take in trying to use it for everyday purposes.

The term guest can seem very limiting to a child. After all, we as adults sometimes have guests in our homes that we would prefer to put in hotels and see as little as possible during their visit. I'm attaching Maggie's school calendar for this year to help in making decisions as to where she might be most useful to the company. Her formal classes are from 8AM-12PM M-F as is the case for all high school level students. This goes from September until the end of May. While the school has a summer enrichment program available, the months of June-August are vacation time for most students. The majority of citizens in Rhydin celebrate winter holidays during December, the school adjusts accordingly with a closure that's generally between 15 Dec and 10 Jan depending on how the holiday dates fall during the week. Spring break is two weeks around the time of Easter and Passover.

After a parent and child discussion, it seems Maggie was under the impression that to continue being a part of the annual Spring Gala that it's necessary to declare the desire to be a guest performer in the Ballet Company. I hope that I've dispelled her of that notion since she took part previously without a formal commitment.

Sincerely,

Rhiannon D. Harker
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Maggie was delighted to have a block of tickets in her hands. Some were for the kids in the pediatric unit of Riverview. After a brief chat with the management, she got the OK for a live feed to be set up for people in the city's hospitals that wouldn't be able to attend. It was going to be a wonderful weekend!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((From Riverview Clinic))
She headed for Riverview right after getting the tickets for a Friday evening circus performance at the Vivant Theater. Crews from H&H were awaiting the approval to connect the live feed for the weekend shows.

Maggie waited to speak with the Chief of Staff or her receptionist. Anya had been sent a quick text earlier by Rhiannon Harker to give her a head's up about her daughter's plans to help bring some much needed cheer to the patients. Precautions could be taken for the chilly weekend weather that was predicted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

((From the original thread))

Opening night was a big event for those that enjoyed the theater and other performances. Maggie Harker was helping with seating for wheelchair bound pediatric patients from Riverview Clinic. It wasn't the easiest of tasks for someone of her petite size, but the Vivant Theater had ramps and ready access to help things move along. When the house lights went down and the spotlights turned upward to capture the artistic beauty and athletic power of the performers, most eyes were on the show. Maggie's, however, were closed as she concentrated on her surroundings. It would have been a few brief moments to anyone watching her, but to her, it may have seemed like forever.

There had been rumors that Lirssa was gone; crossed over, passed away, dead. The words weren't what mattered, the loss of someone she was fond of was another matter. Lirssa's spirit could be felt in this place. It wasn't the kind the pre-teen had grown used to seeing or sensing. Not the images of the dead with things undone and not like the Grey Lady at the Shanachie, who often looked after the cast and crew. This was something different. This was a wave of loving and strong energy; the spark of life essence that had been so much a part of her friend.

Maggie's eyes opened. Excited cheers, clapping, and expressions of awe surrounded her. Joy, happiness, that's what the circus was supposed to be about, wasn't it? And family, that was the biggest thing, the performers were a family.

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”