Maggie's Past Activities

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Maggie's Past Activities

Post by Mairead Harker »

((Originally posted 12 Dec 2012))
WinterFest Grotto & Winter Wishes Letters
Dear Good Spirits of the Winter Season,

I believe in all of you! Doesn't matter what name you have, you are the special beings of good that look after people. Not everyone can have all their wishes. Rick, Catie, and me got what we need and lotsa stuff we want. So, I asked Uncle Paddy if he could make sure all the kids in Rhydin could have a good Christmas dinner, can you help him and his crew with that?

Can you please make sure Doran and Azure's baby brother or sister gets a safe trip into the word? Thanks!

Love,

Maggie Harker

((Originally posted 14 Dec 2012))

When Maggie got the news, she shouted across the house, "MAMA! DA!" She ran to the kitchen all excited about her prize. "Santa's comin'!"

Rhiannon crouched down to get on eye level with her daughter. "When?" Rhi smiled.

"I get to see him on Friday near the Market!" Maggie's eyes were bright and her smile was gleeful.

"Oh, Maggie," Rhiannon frowned, "did you forget? We're going to see The Nutcracker on Friday!"

Maggie sighed and dropped her jaw into her upturned palms. "What can we do, Mama?? We can't disappoint Santa!"

Rhiannon pursed her lips. "I think I have an idea!" She grinned as she remembered how she and her siblings had sent their messages to Santa. "Go get your paper and pencils."

"Ok!" Maggie dashed off to gather up the supplies. She set them on the table. "Ok, now what?"

"Well, Santa is magic, right?"

"Yeaaaaaah," Maggie peered at her mother as if she was about to get bad news.

"Then you write and I'll help you send it." Meanwhile, Mrs. Harker was drawing a map and folding around something.

Maggie wrote:

Dear Santa,

I am very sorry, but I forgot that I'm sposta go to Shanasomething theater for a show with my famly!

"Mama! Can we ask him to come for supper before he goes there?"

"Yes!" Rhi grinned as she lifted the held out the travel stone wrapped in the paper map. "You promise not to be disappointed if he can't come?"

Maggie's lips pursed. "I'll try hard, Mama, but that's not gonna be easy!"

"That's the spirit!" She set the stone down and ruffled Maggie's hair.

Maggie continued writing:

Mama said that I could invite you for dinner before you go see everyone else. I hope you can come! She's sendin a special stone to help you find us and everythin! Will you please come and see us, Santa? I hope you don't mind lots, but Rick and Catie will wanna meet you, too!"

Love,

Maggie

"How's that look?" She showed off her handiwork to her mother.

"It will do nicely, I think." Rhiannon careful folded the letter. "Come on, down to the family room."

"What are we gonna do, Mama?"

"A little magic, my girl, a little magic." She flashed a wink at her eldest before heading down the stairs.

Maggie followed her mother. "Mama, you sound like Gran when you do that!"

Rhiannon murmured something and set the note, map, and stone into the burning hearth.

"You're gonna burn it?" Maggie's eyes widened. She'd never seen her mother do any fire magic. "I better get Aunt Nikki!" The child knew the story of her aunt had come to be called a fire tamer.

"No, no, it's not that kind of magic." Rhiannon's eyes closed and the paper and stone were whisked away to Santa or his current helper. "Now, we just have to hope he gets your message in time."

"Thanks, Mama!" She planted a kiss on her mother's cheek.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Re: Maggie's Past Activities

Post by Mairead Harker »

Children's Day Festivities - Apr 2013

Maggie was the opening act for the magic show. She stepped up onto the stage with her ever faithful dog, Trixter, at her side.

"Hi!" She smiled brightly and waved at crowd. "I'm Maggie Harker. I'm here today to show you some magic! And tell you a story about why we have four," she held up her right hand and counted off four fingers for the crowd, "different seasons!"

"Once upon a time," Maggie grinned, "because that's how stories are supposed to start!" She gave a sidelong glance to the people waiting their turn, her aunt in particular. "What? That's how you and Mama and Da and Gran ALL start stories!" She cleared her throat. "Anyway. Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess named Per-seph-o-nee. Her Mama was in charge of all the growing things like the farmer's crops. When she was happy, all the fields were green and full of growing things. But when she was sad, the plants all died or went to sleep and snow came. That's a very bad thing because if the farmer's crops die then people have no food!" Her eyes grew wide.

"One day, the King of the Underplace ... his name is Hades." She nodded firmly. "He saw Persephone and wanted to marry up with her! So, he stole her!" She made wide and expressive arm gestures. "Then he took her down where he lived!" Maggie held out a flower in her hand. "When her Mama found out she was gone, she was very sad. The crops and plants and flowers all started to droop!." The flower in her hand slumped over over. "That is how we have fall." Maggie smiled a touch. "Some people calls it autumn!" She gestured toward a tree near the stage with leaves that were turning colors. "Leaves lose their green and turn all kinds of pretty colors."

Maggie drew in a deep breath and blew it out at the tree. The breath she released was frosty smoke just like in deep winter. The tree lost its leaves and was coated in icicles. "In Magic Duels, we call that spell the Arctic Blast." She pressed her hand against the bark of the tree. "Leafy trees don't die in the cold, they do something like bears. They go to sleep until the springtime comes again!" The child's face lit up like the brightest sun. "It's called hi-ber-nate!"

"Persephone was in the Underplace and she was veeerrrrrrrrrry not happy!" The little girl scowled and shook her head. "She wanted to go home to her Mama! She was hungry because she was told to never eat anything in the Underplace or you have to stay and never come out!" Maggie huffed and wagged her finger as if talking she was a parent talking to a naughty child. "That's just not fair, is it? You not eat then die and you got to the Underplace or you eat to not die and then you have to stay in the Underplace!!" She tossed her hands up. "What's a girl gotta do when she gets that kinda choice?" Maggie spotted a familiar face in the crowd and waved. "Maybe she shoulda hoped for somebody to come help bust her outta that place! But no one came in week and she was so hungry she finally ate seeds from a fruit called," she held out a piece of ripe red fruit, "a pommel granite!" A whispering voice came from behind her. "Oooh... ok." She jerked a thumb behind her. "Aunt Rhi 'n' Uncle Eregor said it's pomme-granite. Sounds kinda like how Mr. Porthos says the word apple," she mused aloud, "he's French!" She had a gleeful smile on her face.

"Demeter, that's the mama of the girl that was missing, she was getting sadder and sadder without her daughter! And I already told you what happened when she was sad! So Zeus hadda try to fix it because if everybody died from being hungry, they'd all be in the Underplace and nobody would be living on the land anymore!!" She set the pomegranate on a small table. "Zeus sended Hermes off to see Hades. Hermes should oughta been a lawyer because he could talk his way around anything! And fast, too!" Chuckles came from the crowd. "Hermes found out that Persephone ...," she looked behind her, "Hey, if they gave her a shorter name maybe they woulda got her out faster, huh?"

Rhiannon started giggling so much at that that she had to wipe tears from her eyes.

Maggie grinned like an imp when she heard her aunt laughing. "So, Hermes worked a deal so that Persephone would marry up with Hades and live in the Underplace for six month of the year. One month for every seed she ate. But she would spend six months with her mother." She rubbed her dog's head and before gesturing to the tree again. It was blossoming with beautiful pale pink flowers. "When she went home to her Mama, she was happy again and we got spring! When half her time with her mother was gone, the weather gets mostly very very warm, and we call it summer!" The tree was now bearing sweet red fruit. "So remember," she held up a single finger, "everywhere you look there are stories and magic! And this tree is a Yoshino Cherry Tree. It was planted," she looked to her aunt, "What's it called again?"

Quiet murmurs followed.

"I think I got it!" Maggie nodded. "It's for the memory of Mrs. Riley Lo, who helped out lotsa kids, but isn't here anymore. I sure hope they are treatin' her good in the Underplace!" She bowed to audience. "Thank you very much!"

Rhiannon and Eregor would follow later on with their magic act.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Auditions 2013

She looked over the the application and peered at her eldest child. "Maggie, this says it's a full time job for the season. Do you know what that means?"

"There are four season, Mama! I know their names!" Maggie grinned.

"No, this means for how long the theater company runs for a year." Rhiannon gave her daughter an incredulous look. "If you really want to try this, I'll help you fill it out, but they are looking for serious inquiries."

"When have I asked to learn something that I wasn't serious about?" One of Maggie's dark brows lowered.
The application read as follows:

Company Applied for (Theater/Repertory/Ballet): Theater, Repertory, and Ballet

Name (inc. title): Mairead "Maggie" Harker, age 7

Address: Harkers' Island

Is there anything concerning your medical history or state of health that is relevant to your application? Yes*/No (*If you answer Yes please give details):

My health is good, but being a kid, I need more sleep than grown up person.

How much notice do you need to give to your current employer, if currently employed?

My job is going to school, but my teachers will work around it!

Previous training pertinent to this application (if any):

3 years of ballet lessons at New Haven Dance Academy. 1 year of piano and music theory.

Previous experience pertinent to this application (if any):

They let me be "Peter Pan" in the recital because I was the only kid that could make the swordplay look right!

I was Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" at Harker's Academy for our school play. I can sing in tune and work well with animals.

Also performed for Children's Day in 2012 and 2013. I did a magic act with my aunt and uncle.

Do you have any criminal convictions? Yes*/No (If you answer Yes please give details):

No.

Please note - The positions offered by the Shanachie Theatre are full time and salaried. Members of the Company and Band will be expected to keep to a strict rehearsal and performance schedule. Sick and holiday pay is non-negotiable and subject to duration of employment. The directorship withhold the right to terminate employment, should contractual obligations not be met.
"I need to write more, but there's no room!" Maggie blew some hair out of her eyes.

Her mother handed over another piece of paper. It was later attached to the form submitted.
To the Person Who Gets to Read This,

I really am seven years old and would like a chance to try out! There are lots of plays and things, some have kids in them. I thought it would be good for a real kid to play one instead of a grown up all scrunched down!

Thank you!

Mairead Harker
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Rhy'Din Actor Database (RAD) - 2013

Mairead E. Harker
Actress/Dancer/?

Maggie, as she's known to family and friends, was born on Harkers? Island, off the coast of Eldicor, in Rhydin to Dennis and Rhiannon Harker on St. Patrick?s Day, 2006. She is oldest of three children. Her brother and sister, Rick and Catie, are her junior by 18 months. She is currently a student at Harker?s Dueling and Defense Academy. Singing and telling stories to her younger family members awakened an interest in performing publicly. Her first opportunity was at Children?s Day in 2012 where she wove the story of Athena and Arachne into her part of a magic act with her aunt, Rhiannon Brock, and her uncle, Eregor. Maggie is the third generation of her family to participate in the Rhydin based dueling venues of Swords and Magic. She credits ballet with helping to improve her balance and footwork in these sports.

Physical Statistics

Height: 4 ft 6 in
Weight: 80 Lbs.
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Hazel, green and gold coloring

Filmography

None

Television
None

Theater

Played the role of Peter Pan in New Haven Dance Academy?s 2012 recital.
Played Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" at Harker's Academy for the 2013 production.
Performed as part of a magic act for Children's Day in 2012 and 2013.

2013-2014 Shanachie Theater season:
Susan Waverly in "White Christmas."
Narrator Two for "Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat."
Dorothy in "Wicked"
Annie in "Annie"

2014-2015 Shanachie Theater season:
Dinah Lord in "The Philadelphia Story"
Susan Walker in "Miracle on 34th Street; The Musical"
Mary in "The Secret Garden"
Brigitta in "The Sound of Music"
Peasblossom in "Midsummer Night's Dream.

Other Works

4 years of ballet lessons at New Haven Dance Academy.
2 years of piano and 1 yr music theory.
1 year voice lessons
Several years of lessons and training with blades and a staff.

Trivia

Star Sign: Pisces, born on St. Patrick?s Day, March 17, 2006
Has a Collie dog named Trixter and works well with most animals.
Is a junior horse jumping and dressage champion.
Likes to sing.
Plays chess.
Has taken part in various civic activities.
Designed the children's play park at Hatten Point Resort where she hosted the Children's Day celebrations in 2015.
Won the Summer 2015 Duel of Swords Talon of Redwin Tournament
Is multi-lingual.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - White Christmas
30 Dec 2013 - Closing Night

Backstage, Maggie was waiting for the curtain to rise for the closing night performance. She peeked out from the side of the huge stage curtains to get a look at the audience. She had learned that once the show started and the houselights were dimmed it was harder to see who was out there. Until then, she was able to catch a glimpse of the audience. The seven year old let out a giddy little squeal when, as promised, her aunt and best friend were seated in the center section of the theater.

One of the stage crew chuckled and gently reminded the child that it was five minutes until showtime. "Uh, oh!" was Maggie's answer before she marched off to dresser room that she shared with the children from Black Cat Studios. She was singing We'll Follow the Old Man as she trekked along.

The part of Susan Waverly wasn't a principle role by any stretch of the imagination, but for Maggie it wasn't what mattered. She was having the time of her life, learning new things, meeting new people, and, for the first time in her young life, she was able to sing and dance before an audience that wasn't completely packed with her relatives. Any stage fright she might have had pretty much disappeared when she learned that her Uncle Eregor was playing a lead role. It wasn't that Maggie was prone to such moments. It was, however, just good to know someone you knew well was nearby just in case you lost your way.

For one of the last few scenes, she wore a pink dress with a lace trimmed collar. A strand of pearls, that her parents had given her for luck on opening night, were worn at the base of her neck and made her feel quite grown up. She squared her shoulders, took the arm of the actor playing Susan's grandfather, General Waverly, and walked into the scene that would end with a slam bang finish and then some!

When it was over, the young lady was met backstage and taken out for dinner. Where some children might have been worn out by all the activity, Maggie not only wasn't tired, but talked excitedly about her hopes of getting another part in future! After all, she had signed up for a year!
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Annie - Aug 2014

Opening night jitters were not an uncommon thing, but Maggie was not used to having them. She was also not used to having a title role! Butterflies tumbled in her stomach as she peeked out between the curtains that hid the stage from the view of the audience. With the theater lit up so people could find their seats, Maggie spotted some familiar faces in the crowd. She squealed with delight and waved before scampering back behind the curtain to to her place with the other girls for Act One.

She started to sing, slowly, quietly, and building it up ?
Maybe far away
Or maybe real nearby
He may be pouring her coffee
She may be straight'ning his tie!

By the time she got to the last verse,
So maybe now this prayer's
The last one of it's kind...
Won't you please come get your Baby
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

the butterflies were gone and Maggie gave a performance to remember.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Auditions 2014
Company Applied for (Theater/Repertory/Ballet):
Theater, Repertory

Name (inc. title): Mairead E. Harker

Is there anything concerning your medical history or state of health that is relevant to your application? Yes*/No (*If you answer Yes please give details): No.

How much notice do you need to give to your current employer, if currently employed? My school has worked around my schedule so far this year, so, it should be ok to do it again!

1 year of piano and music theory.
Several years of weapons training with blades and a staff.

Played the role of Peter Pan in New Haven Dance Academy?s 2012 recital.
Played Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" at Harker's Academy for the 2013 production.

2013-2014 Shanachie Theater season including the following roles:

Dorothy in "Wicked."
Annie in "Annie."

Do you have any criminal convictions? Yes*/No (If you answer Yes please give details): No.

Handwritten attached note: I had lots of fun working with the people at the Shanachie for last season and hope to do it again for the new one!
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - The Secret Garden - Mar 2015

The smell of the greasepaint, the roar of the crowd. Maggie had read that line in a book, but never really understood it until she started taking part in the productions at the Shanachie. She enjoyed it so much that she considered a change in her plans to, one day, become a teacher. It was then that she realized that everyone that she had worked with on the stage had been a teacher of sorts. It had been the members of the company had taught her that butterflies in the stomach were perfectly normal before a performance. They helped her be comfortable playing pretend in front of an audience. That's what acting was in its basic form, pretending. The difference between playing such games with her siblings was that there was a script to memorize. Stage directions needed to be learned.

While Maggie enjoyed having time in the spotlight, she also enjoyed the other roles she had played. It was the camaraderie and warm atmosphere that lived in the theater that had made the child feel like she had always belonged there.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Auditions 2015
Company Applied for (Theater/Repertory/Ballet): Theater/Repertory

Name (inc. title): Miss Mairead Harker

Is there anything concerning your medical history or state of health that is relevant to your application? Yes*/No (*If you answer Yes please give details): I'm in good health. I am nine years old, I need more sleep than some grown people.

How much notice do you need to give to your current employer, if currently employed? My school, Harker's Academy, arranged a tutor for me for last season. They are willing to do the same this season since the theater management was agreeable to that arrangement.

2 years of piano and 1 yr music theory.
1 year voice lessons
Several years of lessons and training with blades and a staff.

Played the role of Peter Pan in New Haven Dance Academy's 2012 recital.

2013-2014 Shanachie Theater season:
Dorothy in "Wicked"
Annie in "Annie"

2014-2015 Shanachie Theater season:
Dinah Lord in "The Philadelphia Story"
Susan Walker in "Miracle on 34th Street; The Musical"
Mary in "The Secret Garden"
Brigitta in "The Sound of Music"
Peasblossom in "Midsummer Night's Dream.

Do you have any criminal convictions? Yes*/No (If you answer Yes please give details): No!
Maggie had prepared the following for her auditions:

Theater Company
Song: "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked"

For her prepared scene, she chose Helena's monologue from "Midsummer Night's Dream":

HELENA: How happy some o'er other some can be!
Through Athens I am thought as fair as she.
But what of that? Demetrius thinks not so;
He will not know what all but he do know.
And as he errs, doting on Hermia's eyes,
So I, admiring of his qualities.
Things base and vile, holding no quantity,
Love can transpose to form and dignity.
Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
Nor hath Love's mind of any judgment taste;
Wings, and no eyes, figure unheedy haste.
And therefore is Love said to be a child,
Because in choice he is so oft beguiled.
As waggish boys in game themselves forswear,
So the boy Love is perjured everywhere.
For ere Demetrius looked on Hermia's eyne,
He hailed down oaths that he was only mine;
And when this hail some heat from Hermia felt,
So he dissolved, and show'rs of oaths did melt.
I will go tell him of fair Hermia's flight.
Then to the wood will he to-morrow night
Pursue her; and for this intelligence
If I have thanks, it is a dear expense.
But herein mean I to enrich my pain,
To have his sight thither and back again.

Repertory Company
The Lady of Shalott, a poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - 05 Jul 2015 - Green Room

When she was not actively taking part or stage, Maggie sometimes watched the shows from backstage. It could be hard to explain how different the show looks from that perspective. She stayed out from under foot unless she was asked to hold onto some prop or other to keep it ready for one of the actors.

Maggie grown a good foot in height since she started taking part in the Shanachie's offerings. Every day, there was a learning experience, but mostly, it was fun. Acting was hard work at times, but Maggie got lost in the game of pretending to be Susan Walker, Annie, or any number of characters. It was pure joy for the nine year old. She had a good grasp of the difference between the realities of life and the fantasy of playing someone else. There was so much more to the theater than what the audience saw. The girl was slowly learning what those things were.

The Grey Lady had been seen backstage following Maggie and the other children during "The Sound of Music." She was a friendly spirit that sought to comfort people. Maggie was glad of that, not all of the restless departed were as easy to get along with.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Jun 2015 - Sound of Music

Maggie had enjoyed playing the part of Brigitta and acting as stage mentor to her younger sister. Mostly, she liked being surrounded in the warmth and joy projected by her fellow cast members. With the exception of some of the newcomers playing the Von Trapp children, they were familiar to her. The biggest kick for her was watching her friend, Lyneth, playing the role of Gretl. Olivia Gates had done a fine job in the role, but Maggie had a soft spot in her heart for her friend. Fliss and Robert were new to her. Maggie thought Lirssa was a perfect fit for the part of big sister, Liesl. It was little odd to have her BFF Doran acting as her big brother, but he had gotten taller recently.

Before the performance one night, some of the kids had gathered around to listen to DJ Zazzy Yas's broadcast.

Catie Harker was all ears as she listened. "Hey, she's talkin' about us!" A moment passed before she said to her sister, "Mama is famous?"

Maggie chuckled. She was used to her mother having had dueling titles. "To some people, yeah, but to us, she still Mama."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yasmin wrote:The Acting Authority: ?The Sound of Music?

Cate Harker played the second youngest daughter, Marta. If you recognize Cate?s Harker name, yes, she is the real life sister to Mairead Harker, who played the next daughter in line, Brigitta. Little Maggie is quite the thespian herself. Keep in mind, just this season, she has done The Secret Garden, Miracle on 34th Street, The Philadelphia Story, and Mamma Mia! There may even be more. I think Maggie must have helped her little sis out, because both siblings were excellent. I think performing is in this whole family?s genes. I say we give full credit to their mother, Rhiannon Harker, famous for Harker?s Dueling and Defense Academy in the Old Temple District.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

WHAM! 101.1FM Presents: Live at the Shanachie - 05 Dec 2015

Maggie's Introduction:

Merry Winterfest, everybody! I'm Maggie Harker, one of the guest performers at Shanachie Theater. I'm currently playing Martha Cratchit in "A Christmas Carol." I brought along some friends from school including my sister, Catie, and my brother, Rick, as well as some of the students in the Shanachie Stars to share one of my favorite winter holiday songs, Winter Wonderland, with you. Ok, everybody, introduce yourselves!

((Song on the video starts at about 2:45))
WHAM! 101.1FM Presents: Live at the Shanachie - 05 Oct 2015

Les Misérables

Maggie's Intro:

Hi everybody! I'm Maggie Harker, one of the guest performers at the Shanachie Theater and member of the Shanachie STARS program for kids! InLes Misérables, I get to play Cosette as a little girl. She has a very hard life and lives with people that treat her badly. She never knows her father and her mother works herself to death to try to pay for Cosette's room and board.

The song you're going to hear is called Castle on a Cloud. It's about Cosette's wishes and dreams for a better life. She never gives up hope.

When the song ended, Maggie added with excitement in her voice: Come over to the Shanachie and enjoy the shows!

((The link is to the version of the song from the film; sung by Isabelle Allen. ))

Shanachie Theater - 01 Oct 2015

Eyes closed, Maggie paced back and forth in the green room. She wore a mob-cap to cover her hair and fit into the period setting of the play. "Les Miserables" was a classic novel, but it wasn't a book that Maggie had read. At least not yet. She waited for her cue as she listened to the dialog and music in progress on stage. Before Maggie step on stage, snagged up the bucket and brush. She was to be cleaning the floor as she sang, "Castle on a Cloud."
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Peter Pan - 15 Nov 2015

Maggie had recently been gifted with a tomahawk by Harris D'Artainian and took it to the props master at the the theater to ask him to make a wooden one for the show. When Princess Tiger Lily of Never Never Land made her debut it was with tomahawk in hand and ready to do battle with Hook and the pirates.

Having been read the Peter Pan story, that Harker children each had a favorite. Rick, of course, had dreams of flying like Peter Pan. Catie had always loved the character of Wendy, who had gone off on an adventure and returned home to grow up and live a so called normal life. Maggie had been fond of Tiger Lily, who was brave and lived an adventure. More than any other role, Maggie had put her full heart into this one. To some, Tiger Lily might have been a lesser character in the tale, but to a little girl that understood that stars shine even when people aren't looking, Tiger Lily was a guiding light.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Response to Marketplace Violence - 06 Oct 2015

Most people had no idea who or how old Maggie was. She tacked up the following notice in various places in the Marketplace including the corkboard in front of the Cardinal Inn:

To the Citizens of the Old Market District,

For some time, the Marketplace and its surrounding area have been rather peaceful, but this afternoon, someone decided to change that. Whether next of kin is found or not, my family and I will see to it that a proper burial is arranged for the body of the poor soul that was sacrificed.

Troops from the Duchy of Navarra, southwest of Rhydin, have been placed on alert and will be en route to aid Governor Ilnaren and serve as back up to the emergency services in Old Market.

Mairead E. Harker
Baroness of Old Market

Baby Baroness or not, she took public service seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summer Party - 15 Jun 2016
More Storm News from Old Market - 24 Jan 2016
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Shanachie Theater - Auditions 2016

Company Applied for (Theater/Repertory/Ballet/Band): Theater and Repertory. Would like to continue to be a guest performer.

Name (inc. title): Miss Mairead Harker

Is there anything concerning your medical history or state of health that is relevant to your application? Yes*/No (*If you answer Yes please give details):

How much notice do you need to give to your current employer, if currently employed? I'm currently a middle school level student at Harker's Academy. My school works with me regarding my theater schedule and volunteer activities including visiting and helping with activities at the children's wing of Riverview Clinic.

Previous training pertinent to this application (if any): Music theory, dance (including ballet, and tap), gymnastics training, and weapons training.

Previous experience pertinent to this application (if any): Acted in school plays, dance recitals recitals, member of the Shanachie STARS, and several years as a guest performer at the Shanachie Theater.

Do you have any criminal convictions? Yes*/No (If you answer Yes please give details): No

Maggie's prepared song was "Rise" by Katy Perry. (( This version is more tailored to Maggie's vocal style.))

Her chosen monologue was from the character Emily in "Our Town."

(softly, more in wonder than in grief) I can't bear it. They're so young and beautiful. Why did they ever have to get old? Mama, I'm here. I'm grown up. I love you all, everything. - I cant look at everything hard enough. (pause, talking to her mother who does not hear her. She speaks with mounting urgency) Oh, Mama, just look at me one minute as though you really saw me. Mama, fourteen years have gone by. I'm dead. You're a grandmother, Mama. I married George Gibbs, Mama. Wally's dead, too. Mama, his appendix burst on a camping trip to North Conway. We felt just terrible about it - don't you remember? But, just for a moment now we're all together. Mama, just for a moment we're happy. Let's look at one another. (pause, looking desperate because she has received no answer. She speaks in a loud voice, forcing herself to not look at her mother) I can't. I can't go on. It goes so fast. We don't have time to look at one another. (she breaks down sobbing, she looks around) I didn't realize. All that was going on in life and we never noticed. Take me back - up the hill - to my grave. But first: Wait! One more look. Good-by, Good-by, world. Good-by, Grover's Corners? Mama and Papa. Good-bye to clocks ticking? and Mama's sunflowers. And food and coffee. And new-ironed dresses and hot baths? and sleeping and waking up. Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you. (she asks abruptly through her tears) Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute? (she sighs) I'm ready to go back. I should have listened to you. That's all human beings are! Just blind people.

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”