Withdrawals?

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Withdrawals?

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

(( Originally posted on Jun 03, 2017 ))

It was a lovely Saturday morning. Breakfast of pancakes with apple butter and a splash of syrup was set before each place. The toddlers climbed up into their booster seats and were ready to go in hands first before their mother reminded them of the lessons with forks and spoons. They weren't quite ready to solo with knives, yet, so she cut the pancakes for them.

When Eregor joined them, Rhiannon had some news to share. "I've decided to withdraw my challenge for Dockside." Gory was cutting his pancakes as he looked at her with a curious expression. Before he could ask why, she filled in a blank or two. "There are more important things than dueling. So," an impish smile appeared and a twinkle lit her eyes, "when you add the math, get to five, and realize we'll need more chairs at the table in a couple years, you'll have the answer." It was a bit of a riddle like her faery kin might have made, not a lie, but not the whole truth.
"The definition of hero never included anything about age." RDB
Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: Withdrawals?

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

(( Originally posted on Jun 03, 2017 by Eregor))

Eregor enjoyed riddles, but the connection to her withdrawing her challenge took him a microsecond longer. "Add up to fi- ohhhhh!" Setting down the knife, he turned to face Rhi fully, a broad smile on his face. "Not a hypothetical question, then. You know that there are options, if you want to press the challenge."

"There will be other challenges, a chroi. I'm not retiring, after all." She reached up and tweaked his nose. "I considered the options, but... this feels like the right choice."

"Well, you know I'll support your decision. And I'm sure E will be grateful for the respite." A chuckle filled the kitchen as he speared a piece of pancake, dipped it in just enough syrup, and held it out to Rhi for her to snap at it. "Have you told anyone else yet?"
Rhiannon Brock
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: Withdrawals?

Post by Rhiannon Brock »

(( Originally posted on Jun 03, 2017 ))

"No, not yet, I figured you should be first after me." She gave him a wink, licked the syrup off her lips, and slowly chewed the pancake. "I had considered asking Uncle Heph about specialty armor, but that's just not for me. Besides, I'm not leading troops into battle." A strange picture of the children in oversized flopping helmets filled her mind. She couldn't help but laugh.

Eregor knew how his wife's mind worked and joined her laughter. "Somehow, I don't think an army of five is going to be plundering all of Rhydin."

Two small heads turned toward them with gleeful expressions. The clashing of silverware being used as weaponry sent both Rhi and Eregor into parental mode. The twins were cleaned up and set on their feet. It wasn't long before squeals of delight and thudding of pillows against each other were heard from the playroom.

Rhi shook her head and smiled thoughtfully. "The one thing we shouldn't hope for is a quiet home."

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”