The World According to Maggie

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: Mairead Harker, Eregor, PrlUnicorn

Mairead Harker
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Re: The World According to Maggie

Post by Mairead Harker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Personal Vlog - Early Morning - 12 Aug 2020

Camera opened on the office at Dragon's Gate Sword School and the sound of a door locking is heard. Maggie sat in a chair behind a desk..

Jaycy is Jaycy again! What I mean is that she's back to the person I've known most of my life. Like with so many others, it's quite an experience to see that different aspect of someone. It's not exactly like Gran and Granny Kirin, who are the same person, but shaped by different experiences. There's another bit of craziness that's normal to me, but not to others.

I still have people telling me that I should enjoy being a child while I can. What they don't understand is that I gave up the chance to do what might best be described as speed aging. I could have literally given up my childhood and teenage years to be older. But why give up that precious time, as Mama calls it, to prove a point?

Harker's Academy exists because of kids and teenagers like Lynnie Granger, Amaris, Doran, and me that didn't get a choice in the hand we were dealt. We're the lucky ones, we have supportive families and teachers around us. For every kid that went to or goes to school at Harker's that's learned how to not be burned, drowned, suffocated, or buried by the elemental magic that they were born with, there's a dozen others on Rhydin's streets that are lost in their own world. Sometimes, being lost in your own world is a good thing, like reading a good book. But isolating yourself from others because you are afraid ... Maggie shook her head. of who you are? That's not a good thing.

A couple of hours every week, I read to the kids in Riverview Pediatrics. Been doing this since the Animal Therapy Program started; I was about six. The young kids related better to the dogs than people. That's what some kids need, someone to feel safe with. All of them do, but some more than others. Dogs don't usually tell your secrets. That is, unless, they think you need help that they can't give. Gussie tells me stories, but I think she still remembers the baby that used to hold onto her to walk. I tease Dris about her stories, but she's not a tattletale. He lets me look after her from time to time or should I say lets her visit with me because we look after each other. She keeps my secrets as she always has.

Because of my talent with languages, I'm sometimes asked to translate for young children. Kids relate better to a kid. While most of them have been cases of having wandered off when a parent or caregiver was distracted for a moment, others have been far less pleasant. A couple of kids were found wandering Old Market after the Blackest Night. Tracing them back to their home, one of the Watch groups was met with a horrific sight. Father and two siblings dead; Mother and infant sister close to it. I don't know what the whole story was and am probably better off not knowing. However, I do know that there were two less faces among my visitors after the bodies were found.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Mairead Harker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:23 pm

During the week, I usually have my lunch time with Mama or Gran. There's something I have been trying to come to terms with that they understand, but a lot of people don't.

Last month, I was having lunch with Gran over at Dockside EMC and a call went out to staff for a translator for Elvish languages. I'm not fluent in any, but I can get by in a few. When we got to the ER, what looked to be the mother of the teenage girl on the gurney was losing her mind and going on about how could her kid to this to her. Mom was yelling in Common, but her daughter was speaking in what I recognized as Sindarin. To me, it's a huge red flag when a presumed parent can't understand the language their kid is speaking. Gran speaks some Sindarin and Quenya, she was married to an Elf once upon a time; she talked to the mother.

After getting the girl calmed down, I learned that the woman was, in fact, her mother, but that Mom had not been accepting of a few things. So, I called my cousin, Melly, to get a better translation. Her grandparents live in Mellor near Eldicor and she's been speaking those languages all her life. So, after a bit of back and forth, we all learned that Glóredhel, as she preferred to be called, had recently come out to her mother as transgender. Being a teenager can be rough enough, but discovering and sharing something about yourself that's not accepted by one of the people that's supposed to care about you most ... it's like riding a roller coaster backward and blindfolded. In other words, a scary ride, but unlike the roller coaster, it's not one that you can get off and walk away from. Glóredhel had no other living kin that she knew of. Knew of, that's another hmm thing.

Aunt Chelle has always kept faith with Melly's father's people. It's going to take a while to get messages back and forth, but she's trying to find out anything she can about Glóredhel's paternal grandparents or any other family she might have. At sixteen, I think if Glóredhel prefers to embrace her Elven heritage, she should be given that chance. That's her partly mother's choice, of course, but isn't better to compromise than lose your child? Felt badly for my fellow teenager. Bad enough to be on that halfway bridge between kid and adult, but to have your only remaining parent turn against you for wanting to know who you are? That's gotta be like getting kicked in the teeth by a horse! I hope things work out, in the meantime, Glóredhel has asked to stay at Sarengrave House and has been referred to several groups that are resources for teens in transition and the LGBTQ community. While that outcome isn't what the mother wanted, she wanted her son back, I think it would be better to know you still had a chance to build a new relationship with your living child than to lose them permanently. Not everyone sees the pain of the ones that haven't quite crossed over, I do. Glóredhel might or might not have a hard road ahead, but she has a road ahead.

The ones that have yet to cross over, mostly, they want their names because they have lost them. The very young are the hardest, because many are scared, they don't understand where they are or why. By working with Rachael to solve some of her cold cases, I help those kids and me. It's one less child searching and one less voice in my head. Uncle Hades has told me there's a purpose to this gift of mine and it's not in his power to shut it down. I don't want it shut down, I want to live with it on my own terms. I have seen too many people, no matter their age, destroyed by those that were well meaning and didn't understand that forcing someone to be something they weren't or not be something they were could have disastrous results. In this respect, telling me to do what amounts to shutting down my innate talents is no different than trying to force a gay person to be straight, that's not who they are. Which brings to my next thought for today.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Mairead Harker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:02 pm

I have to be careful what areas of hospitals I visit. Had I not already learned to cope with seeing spirits, walking through hospitals could be a hellacious experience, a living nightmare. The dead are all over the place and when they realize you can see them, the reactions are mixed. Some want help on their way, Uncle Hades has shown me how to help them on that path. While I'm still learning, I can help with the simple things like finding their favorite toy or something close to it. It's not all horrors; many times, there is joy in helping them find their peace. If they are still scared then Riddle and Trixter are able to guide them to this side of the Styx or into the care of guardians of other ... after places. Rascal is able to do this as well, but he's very much Da's dog and prefers to stretch out on his comfy bed near Da's office.

When those clinging to life in ambulances are brought in, I can sometimes see their spirits desperately trying to hold on, too. Accident victims fight the hardest because they want to continue. If it's not their appointed time, they look different to me. I'm able to show them they have a choice, fight and survive or let go and feel no pain. They never know who I am, they see someone different. I'm not a Reaper by any means, this is why I can only offer help to those with cords not cut by The Fates. Until my grandmother almost died in front of us in Old Market, I didn't know about that part of my gift. Pearl didn't know either. Her gifts are on a bit of a different path than mine. Some of hers are at the beginning of life, which is how she become a doula and helps mothers delivering their babies. I often think that would be easier, seeing new ones being born and getting their start. She says both sides of things have their drawbacks. I don't know, seeing the aftermath of a couple of young people that took Romeo and Juliet's story to extremes is awful. We agree that the hardest part of a loss is those left behind to wonder why.

Last night, Jaycy found me on the Isle where I was dueling with Haru and Doran. We had a very interesting chat about Grandpa and his library. I ...

The sound of student's voices entering the school could be heard in the background.

I'll get back to this later.

The camera shut off.

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”