The Last Ride - Part 3

A place for stories beyond the gates of Rhy'Din
Sam A. Federov
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Last Ride - Part 3

Post by Sam A. Federov »

The white stallion's hooves kicked up a thick cloud of red dust behind it as it galloped at breakneck speed through the desert. The old man atop it gripped the reins tightly, knuckles white against them as they emerged onto that familiar flat stretch of desert rock. Heatwaves rippled on the flat horizon, taking shape gradually into that of the all-too-familiar ranch.

Federov may have taken a minute to appreciate the view. This was the last time he'd ever approach the house like this. But he couldn't. He couldn't afford to waste that time. Every second counted. Every minute that went by put Morgan's life in more danger.

As they slowed, approaching the wooden archway of Serpent's Rest, Federov spoke up to his companion behind him on the horse. His voice sounded even worse. Croaky, hoarse, wheezy. As though every breath took increased effort, and the act of speaking was tearing at his throat.

"This is the place."

Azriella held on tight to the waist of Federov as Langston propelled them through the desert landscape. Her gaze was unwavering, intense and focused solely in front of them as she was carried at that fevered pace towards the place he called home. Ebony locks trailed behind the woman as they galloped towards it, her mind racing at the possibilities that lay before them all.

The heatwaves were visible, as they were in this type of climate, but the heat didn't seem to bother the she-wolf on the back of that steed. She was used to the heat after all. Slowly, steadily, the pinpoint dot on the horizon began to take wavering form as they neared and she could help but appreciate the view herself.

As the thundering of hooves abated and they slowed their approach, Azriella loosened her grip on the old mans waist and sat up a little and away from him, admiring the view a little more now that the wind wasn't washing over her face as fast anymore.

When Sam spoke, that voice broken and weak, she couldn't help but pull away and look at him for a moment. He was worse, and she was sure the heat and dry air wasn't helping matters. She couldn't help Sam now. All she could do was do her best to help do what he needed to and be there for the rest of them. Her gaze leaving him, it found that ranch house stuck out here in the middle of nowhere. Her smile was soft, but sad as she nodded.

"It looks like a nice place." Was all she could think of to say.

The horse trotted closer, approaching the porch, when Federov dismounted.

His legs buckled when he hit the ground, falling onto his hands and knees with a groan. Panting slightly, he pulled himself to his feet, his breath rattley. Without his cane, walking was increasingly becoming more difficult. Langston turned in concern, nuzzling his soft nose against the old man's side as he clung to the saddle, catching his breath. A weary hand came up to pet the horse's neck, and he breathed out a reply to a question not spoken aloud. "I'm ok, boy... don't you worry..."

Scooting back a little on the saddle and giving him room to dismount, she watched from above as he hit the ground and wilted like a desert flower with no support left in the stalk. "Sam!" Azriella quickly hopped off then too, feet hitting the ground with a puff of dust as she went for the man to try and help him up. By the time she reached him though, he had already regained his footing and was leaning against that saddle as Langston nudged and nuzzled him out of concern.

Hands out, ready to catch him if need be, she waited patiently for him to regain his strength and his breath. Sam seemed to be ok, for the moment, and Azriella couldn't help but look past him, to the door that would lead them inside the house. Or would lead someone else out. Those chocolate colored eyes left that doorway as soon as they'd found it, looking back instead to the old man leaning against his horse. "You sure you're up for this, Sam?" He couldn't even dismount a horse without needing to recover.

Federov straightened up and adjusted his jacket, clearing his throat a little and grimacing... before looking back to her, determination etched into his face. "This old dog still got some fight in 'im, kid. I ain't through just yet. Not by a damn sight." After a pause, his gaze, too, turned to the door. He approached, limping heavily. "... Anne should be inside. Kayla, too."

That readied position she'd held herself in relaxed a little as she watched him straighten up and adjust his jacket. Her eyes watching him carefully and assessing, she nodded softly and gave him a knowing look. "I believe that." She did too. She'd known lots of people that would have given up a long time ago, and they way he kept trudging forward despite his...handicaps was indeed a remarkable thing to behold.

And then she watched still as he turned and limped towards that door. She would not follow immediately however, instead choosing to stay near Langston and raise a hand to pat and stroke that strong, beautiful creature's neck. "Yeah?" She feigned ignorance, or curiosity, or...something. She knew very well who was behind that door.

Hearing the hooves and idle chatter Anne wandered out casually. Distracted with giving Emi a trim and cleaning him up for the afternoon. Dressed in swallowing clothes of a sweater and dusty grey pants. For once not covered in head to toe with mud from drowning herself in work and distractions. There had been an unsettling tension in the air however...Anne could never quite figure out why as she popped open the front door shouting out. "Hey Pops! Have you seen my pair of clippers? Emi's been com..plain...ing lat..ely...." Anne turned her gaze upward halfway through the sentence and slowly froze. Spotting Azirella as she was quickly drenched so many emotions she was drowning. Emi seemed excited by Azriella's arrival and went to hug only to start writhing, dipping, and spasming to Anne's emotions. She hadn't talked to anyone about what had happened the last time they had meet and Anne still held a profound shame at what she had let happen.

Federov froze when he saw Anne, his features melting away to a look of sorrow and pain. After barely a moment's hesitation, he grabbed Anne in a soft embrace, holding his daughter close to him and clenching his eyes shut, as though opening them for even a second would allow a torrent of tears to flow through. A hand gently ran through her soft, red curls, as he lay a soft kiss on her forehead. He leaned down and whispered to her.

"I love you, darling. So, so much."

Standing over near Langston still, a tentative smile tugged at one corner of her lips as she watched the scene unfold in front of her. Anne had no clue Azriella would be here, that much was clearly evident. And the way she froze when she spotted her reduced that gentle tug to nothing and that almost smile faded slowly.

There was so much that had been left unsaid at the conclusion of their last meeting that the she-wolf didn't even know where to begin. What had happened after? Was it her fault? Everybody's fault? No ones? She really didn't know. She did know that neither of them had been back or tried to contact her since. That was telling, wasn't it. Or was it. She sighed, her shoulders drooping as she looked on.

Sam was obviously oblivious to the tension that had arisen, taking his newly adopted daughter within his arms and hugging her close. She could only see the back of the man, so no emotions would give her an inkling of what was happening, but when he pulled away, ran his fingers through those curls and kissed her on the forehead that smile returned. A little bit anyways. At least she'd found someone to take care of her.

Anne paused for a long moment before hugging back feeling a sense of foreboding now come to the peek. Her hands wrapping around her Pops and holding tightly. "I love you too..." Anne whispered in a horse voice her face drooping with pain and hurt inflicted by a deep worry. The shame at seeing her friend again put aside at sensing that sorrow from her Pops in his features. She looked worriedly between the two people. Though only daring glances at Azriella. "Pops...what-what's going on? Why-why is Azriella here...I don't-I don't understand." *Anne said worriedly. The tension that had been building up the past couple days was now coming to a head and she found herself asking the same old question. 'what's going on...' the question stealing her breath with fright and confusion. Quickly shoved away with a hasty distraction, though the worry ever lingered.

Federov brushed the hair from her face with a deep breath, forcing a smile onto his face. "... Maybe it's best we go inside to talk, ok? ... I..." He had to cut himself off, as a lump built in his throat, looking down at his daughter with tears spiking at his eyes. "... I have some things I need to tell you."

Azriella was there to help Sam. She had promised she would and she wouldn't leave until that promise had been fulfilled. There was Morgan as well. She was here for him too. She didn't know if she should be here for Anne or not, but, she was, in fact, here. Watching as Anne questioned what was going on, daring glances in her direction intermittently, she waited a little while longer to let Sam and Anne have their moment.

When that moment had passed and Sam suggested that they all go inside to talk, Azriella, slowly, began taking steps in that direction and would join them in the house. As she neared, she caught the tail end of those words. There were some things he needed to tell her. Had he told her anything? At all? Well, she was about to find out it seemed.

Oh how Anne caught those tears always very sensitive to pain and emotions of her loved ones. "Ok..." *Anne said in a voice choked with the tension of holding back tears. She mustered up a reassuring smile for her Pops. "Whatever it is everything will be ok Pops? I love you. We can figure this out." Anne offered more or less trying to convince them both but it was a pathetic attempt. Clearing her throat and collecting her courage she added more confidently. "I love you. We can figure this out. Whatever it is. Yea." She forced a wider smile as she nodded feeling stunned and dazed. Then as if in a dream she began wandering inside encouraging her Pops to follow by patting his back reassuringly. Azriella's approach a hazy background silhouette. Forgotten as Anne frantically tried to piece together what could possibly be wrong and play out all possible scenarios in her head on how they could solve this. "Everything...will be fine.." She whispered to herself as her eyes appeared distant and now deep in though. Sounding breathless and she mumbled to herself.

Federov nodded, her words and reassurances cutting him deeper. But he needed to be strong for her, now. He couldn't let her see tears. The old man sat her down on an armchair, and crouched next to it so he was at eye level with her.

He took a deep breath, before speaking.

"... Anne..." He sighed. "... I'm sick. You know that... And in the last few months, without those potions... it's gotten a whole lot worse." His hands came up to gently grasp hers.

Azriella ventured into the house after them, quiet for now. This was Sam's time and she would let him have it. Just inside the door, she found something she could lean against and did so, crossing her arms in front of her and tilting her head as she watched and listened to the explanation begin to unfold.

While that was going on, Azriella happened to notice some movement out of the corner of her eye and glanced over. Seeing Emi, dipping and swaying with the hold Anne's emotions had over him, he peeked a few fingers over her arm and waved a little wave at him and giving him the best smile she could muster with the extenuating circumstances.

"I-I know that but... You're standing and walking. Eating-eating just fine..look see-" Anne squeezed his hand that collected hers. Tears tumbling from the pools in her eyes as she grimaced trying to maintain her smile and giving huffing breaths. Her grandfather's face as he lay dead from the very same disease...how he deteriorated so quickly and became so horrendously...it hurt Anne to think about as she stared at her Pops and shook. Her family she had finally found it and part of it was leaving. Anne denied it all with a shake of her head. "Your grip is as strong as ever. Yo-you'll be fine Pops! We can find a way to heal you! We still have time." Anne swallowed back her tears and dared a glance to Azriella. "That's why Azriella is here right to help you? She has always been..." The tears came in earnest now as the sorrow became too much to bear. He was going to explain how now was his time wasn't he... "...such a good person...I love you Pops." Anne choked as she looked down at him bitter tears streaming down her face.

Federov's façade of composure and comfort melted away at the sight of Anne's tears. He leaned in and hugged her tight, holding her close to him. "... It's alright. It's all gonna be ok, darlin'... you're gonna be fine..." He clenched his eyes shut into the hug as he continued speaking.

"... Featherston's got my boy. Morgan. I have to go save 'im. But... I can't promise you I'll come home safe."

The brief and subtle greeting to Emi was fleeting, her gaze returning to Sam and Anne as Anne desperately tried to make sense of what was happening. Tilting her head, a forlorn look crossed her features as she watched. Anne said that Azriella had always been a good person, and she was here to help. Scenes passed through her mind at hearing that. She was a good person, or tried to be, and just because she wanted to help didn't mean she didn't mess things up more than she fixed them sometimes.

Thoughts of herself faded though, when she heard the words she knew would come from Federov. Now he was telling her about Morgan and who had him. Then those fateful last words where he said he may not come home from this. She didn't know if that was true, but, truth or not, she knew they would hit Anne harder than they would most.

Anne took in a shaky breath as she nodded feeling comforted by her Pops' words and tried to calm herself down. She always assumed the worst and in this moment was kicking herself. Her Pops was always an able man he would save the day and everything would be just fine. Anne somehow convinced herself of this as her tears stilled and she nodded. Forcing herself to forget why he brought up his cancer now. As she regained the ability to speak she wiped away at the tears confident that this was something she could damage control as she jumped right back into denial. "Well let me help Pops? I mean we can solve this...we have people and family. We can get you home safe and find a way to cure you." Anne nodded and the thrusting of Emi slowly calmed as he regained some motor functions over himself flapping a leaf in Azriella's direction. Not trusting of himself or Anne enough to give a hug as she was panicking and that might cause an accidental impaling.

Federov pulled back a little, his hands squeezing hers. "That's why I'm here, kid. I need you." He paused, a guilty look on his face. "... An' I don't want you to be in danger. So that's why Az is here." Federov turned his head towards her briefly, offering a smile before turning back. He sighed, and looked at the ground. "... Y'see... it's in the Wilds. An' we think there's gonna be an ambush. We thought..." He closed his eyes again, a wave of uncomfortable guilt washing over him. How could he ask this of his own daughter? To put herself in danger for the sake of a boy she'd barely met? "... We thought you might be able to warn us." He looked up at her again. "Warn us when they're comin'."

Azriella continued to watch and listen with a thoughtful ear. Amid the conversation, her eyes slid to that little flapping leaf waving in her direction and she smiled again, softly. She'd missed him too.

Attention going back to the two when Anne started to talk, she nodded along, agreeing until the very last and her head stilled and what glimmer of a smile remained, faded. There was no curing the Russian. Not that she was aware of, and as far as she knew those attempts had failed, or at least ceased, not having had a request for her blood in quite some time.

When Sam started speaking again, brown eyes shifted to him and offered a smile in return to the one given and she pushed off of that wall. Unlacing her arms, quiet steps carried her over to where the two were. Just as she arrived, Federov's eyes closed and he looked down. Laying a hand at his shoulder gently, she patted him in reassurance before taking another step towards the chair Anne sat in. Slipping onto the arm of it, she reached down and laid her hand upon Anne's shoulder and managed another smile. Gaze sliding to Sam briefly, she nodded. "I'll be there the whole time." Then it was back to Anne with another nod. "Right?"

"Don't look like that Pops we are family remember? I ain't going to let my family face danger alone...after what you done for me and your support. I'm so grateful for you-you have no idea how much you mean to me Pops and I mean that. To be apart of this family...I'm so proud to be your daughter." Anne lifted her chin and nodded stiffly trying to hold back the proud tears that threatened to fall. "I want to be able to return the favor. Protect you for once..." Anne coughed as her throat slowly became too tight to speak as she spoke that sentence. Pausing as she recovered herself and now it was her time to look guilty and ashamed as Azriella placed a hand on her shoulder. Sparking further commentary. "...to do something right. With these abilities that I have for once and for someone so important in my life. I'll protect you this time Pops." A sad gaze was given to Azriella's hand on her shoulder one filled with regret and hope. Then Anne nodded with a weak thanks.

Federov felt like he was about to cry, and yet he was smiling. Smiling as he stared into her eyes. Proud of how far his daughter had come. That scared, timid young lady was now standing up to protect someone she loved, consequences be damned. "No..." He said, softly, placing his hand on her cheek. "... It's me who's prouda you, kid."

All of a sudden, the old man's face fell. The colour drained from him as he looked up behind Anne, his expression hardening.

It was a somber moment for all three it seemed. Anne proud to be Sam's daughter. Sam proud of her for how far she had come and Azriella there to support both and help them through this trying time.

Looking down over the two of them, Azriella happened to glance over to Sam when his expression grew grave and the color drained from his face. Tilting her head at the sight, she slowly followed his gaze and then saw the other that Sam was looking at now. "Oh." She felt like she should get up and move away seeing the expression on the girl's face. Give them some space to work out whatever that was between them, but time was short and she remained where she was, for now.

Kayla was standing in the doorway, having heard the whole thing. Her expression was neutral. Emotionless. Though in a way, behind the eyes, she looked... lost. Drained. In a quiet voice, she spoke up.

"You're going away again, aren't you."

Anne nodded to her Pops giving him a genuine smile and turned to look at Kayla. Her face became sorrowful and full of pity as she looked at her sister. Thinking it best to let her Pops explain further before she interjected and siding more with Azriella for the moment. Though if she thought she could help she would speak up. For now she waited. A feint sigh escaped Anne's lips as she turned back to her Pops and gave him a soft, kind smile. Her hand reaching up to clasp the one placed on her cheek and give a reassuring squeeze. It was obvious he would need the strength to Anne to work through this with her sister.

Unsure of who this new person, one thing was for certain. They both knew each other. Looking behind the chair to Kayla as she stood in the doorway, Az slowly looked back to Sam, side eyeing him to see what his reaction was before looking back to the girl. Then Anne sighed and turned to look back at the woman as well. She seemed to know her as well. When Anne turned back towards Sam, so did Azriella, a bit confused but everyone seemed to know the woman but her. If she only knew that she could have been killed or seriously injured by the girl once upon a time her reaction might have been a little different. But still she waited.

Federov stood up, taking a few steps forward and looking at Kayla, still staying reserved. He didn't answer her directly, but the look on his face seemed to give one. His mind was swimming, as though he was almost scared to show emotion in front of her. For fear that his biological daughter would only reject it.

Kayla crossed her arms, biting her lip and looking down at the floor in contemplation. Quietly, she spoke up again, her eyes closing. "I'm coming with you."

"Absolutely not."

"Try and fucking stop me."

"Pops..." Anne sighed turning where she remained seated in the chair and gave Kayla a long look into her eyes. Thinking of the day her family home caught fire and what she would have done to save her parents. Her parents weren't good people in the way they treated her...but she still loved them. Even now she wished she was able to do something to prevent that. Thinking and wondering what could have possibly been done. "Please let Kayla come...if she didn't and something were to happen..." Anne stood and clasped her hands together as she peered between the two a few tears streaking down her face without her noticing. "She may never...forgive herself...and um...if that's the case.." Anne looked up to Kayla now to see if her words rung true with her. "...I would never wish that fate on anybody..." Anne nodded and paused to gather herself.

Oookay! That was Azriella's cue to rise up off the arm of that chair and take a couple of steps back. When Federov stood up and moved towards the girl with that look on his face that was all she needed to know. Ex wife maybe? Girlfriend scorned? Nope. That exchange screamed daughter. Or...Well, she'd let this one play out until somebody said it out loud. She wasn't about to guess. People were shot for less. She would, incidentally, like to see that big Russian try and fucking stop her though. She always did have a morbid sense of curiosity.

Keeping a watchful eye on the two, wondering when all hell was about to break loose, she looked to Anne as well. Listening to her words, she tried to make out who this girl was to Sam, but Nope! again. Twas a mystery!

"And if somethin' does happen? To her?" The old man was turned to face Anne once more, a panicked look on his face. This was too much. All the fear and worry of today, and now he had to think about losing Kayla, too?

"Sam." She stepped forward, arms crossed over her chest.

"... Dad."

Federov turned immediately. Dumbstruck. His mouth hanging open slightly as he stared at her. It had been the first time she'd called him that in years. Decades, even.

"Let me. Please." Her eyes betrayed that she knew more than she was letting on. A solemn pleading, a wall of tears blocked behind an impenetrable wall of repression.

Anne in her time here living with her family never once heard Kayla refer to their Pops as Dad. This caused Anne to be taken aback and it was then she knew her words were right. Not only that but she knew the dread so acutely well. She stepped forward and without a word gave her sister a comforting hug. Looking to her Pops with a silent plea as her face scrunched up in sorrow over the overwhelming events of the day. One second everything was fine now...everything was just not right. She leaned on Kayla and patted her back wanting to give words of comfort but unable to say them as her throat ached. Trying so hard not to cry and be strong with her sister.

Federov locked eyes with Kayla wordlessly, only looking away from her gaze when Anne joined her. He looked from one of his daughters to the other, then, in a quiet, shocked voice, he relented.

"... Ok." He nodded. "... Ok. Yeah."

"I won't let that happen, Sam." Azriella took a step forward, looking at Sam and then to Kayla. Heard the name! She didn't know the woman but...Op! Dad! There it was! She'd protect his daughter with everything she had. With that word though, she watched Sam turn around and look at her like he'd seen a ghost. With the initial confrontation and what was going on now, it wasn't too hard to figure out there was a past there. A bad one at that. Now it seemed, on the surface, to be a turning point. It was a shame that it had to come now though. Of all the times it could have, it had to be now.

Judging by the look on Anne's face and the way she went to Kayla to comfort her, Azriella's summation wasn't far off the mark. It occurred to her in that moment that, while the scene may have been touching and Sam was making progress with both of his daughters, there was a son missing from this picture. Looking back to Sam, she bit her lip. She didn't want to be the one that had to say it, but someone needed to. "If we're all going we should probably get to it. God only knows what Featherston has done to Morgan by now." Oh she could guess, and if there was a bullet in that boy like there had been in Guddesk there wouldn't be much that would be able to stop her.

He closed his eyes, taking a deep, raggedy breath. She had to word it like that, didn't she. He fought to calm himself, to keep the images that were conjured up from that turn of phrase out of his head.

He opened his eyes, and looked back towards Azriella, and nodded. He turned to his daughters, locking eyes with Kayla. "Alright then..."

"Let's ride."
Sam A. Federov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: The Last Ride - Part 3

Post by Sam A. Federov »

It had taken them a few hours to ride in from the desert, and that had Federov worried. Azriella's words echoed in his head, as though bouncing off the inside of his skull and jarring his brain. "God only knows what Featherston has done to Morgan by now." He was once again sat atop Langston with Azriella on the back, while Kayla rode alongside on one of the other horses they had, with her sister in tow.

As they entered the woods, Federov exchanged tense glances with Kayla, neither of them speaking for the entire trip other than a brief introduction for Azriella's sake.

"Alright," Federov started, finally breaking the quiet. "Leave the horses here. We continue on foot. Anne, keep a look out. Az, Kayla, watch her."

As soon as they had arrived, Azriella slipped off of Langston. Looking up to Sam, she nodded. "Got it." Moving a little closer to Anne at his instructions, she looked at the woman. She was different than she remembered. Anne could be emotional at times sure, but this, she'd never seen this before. She gave her a nod as well. "I'll be right here to whole time, okay?"

Federov dismounted, pulling both of his revolvers out of his holsters and keeping them at the ready. He gave Langston a light thwack to his side and a whistle, and the horse galloped off to safety. The old man took the lead, walking with an extremely pronounced limp. By now, he looked almost like a zombie. Blood vessels visibly on his greying, sunken cheeks. Bloodshot eyes, staring blankly in front of him. His breathing was hoarse and raggedy, each breath sounding painful. As though inhaling tore at his flesh each time.

Kayla followed suit, dismounting and sending the horse away. She pulled an AKM from her back, sticking close to Anne with her eyes on the treeline on either side of the gravel path.

Anne held her rose bush Emi in her hands as Kayla maneuvered the horse her crystal eyes already darting from every tree, bush, and blade of grass. There was already some sort of gossip of something unfamiliar lurking in the woods shrouded in shadow and ambiguity. It was obvious Anne had switch over to some other part of her mind in survival mode and full of adrenalin, all action. "Thank you Azirella.." Anne gave her a lingering gaze filled with guilt and regret. It could be seen she was shaking with the tension, her eyes ever so slightly hazed over with a milky white. Hair filled with a light static though ever so slight a shift most would over look it as she made her way down the gravel path whispering in hushed tones to the trees primarily. "Hello...why yes that is strange. That's why I am here actually. Muhum..yes those men took someone dear to my Pops...somewhere over...you're not sure...ok..." Anne nodded and gulped nervously making herself small next to her sister. Then looked to her Pops to explain in a nervous voice. "We are close but...they aren't as certain over here about exactly where. Just a general direction..." Anne gestured up the road with a shaking hand which she quickly hid. Emi's thorns growing in size as he twitched.

Azriella had an intense dislike for most weapons. Guns in particular. In this instance though, she didn't bat an eye towards the ones Sam wielded nor the one Kayla produced. They needed all the help they could get. Both horses sent away to safety, Azriella started following along after Sam but never let Anne leave her sight as they started moving forward as a group.

When Anne looked over at her, offering her thanks, Azriella nodded and managed a soft smile in return. "Of course," she replied. The smile faded as quickly as it appeared however. They would talk about past thing later, for now they all had to keep vigilante and aware. Listening and watching as Anne started conversing with the trees, Azriella came up behind her and gently placed her hands on Anne's shoulders. Eyes watchful, looking out at the trees and plants surrounding them, she leaned down and whispered into her ear. "I'm gonna get ready. Just in case."

As the three of them moved on, ever searching, ever watchful, Azriella fell a little behind as she began to shift into the other form. Eyes phased to the different colors, clothes flexed and eventually ripped as her body grew. Fur sprouted and eventually broke through while muzzle grew and teeth elongated. It only took her a few moments to completely shift anymore, and soon enough, the form of the seven foot tall, all black wolf was trailing along behind them. Nose to the wind and eyes searching about for signs of the ambush they all knew was coming.

Federov didn't turn around at the sounds of the transformation, still limping away in front with his pistols raised. He scanned the area ahead of them, frowning. "Keep yer eyes open..." His voice sounded even worse than his breathing did. "They could come from anywhere."

Kayla, meanwhile, was very distracted by the transformation. Sure, she'd heard about it from Anne, but it still was enough to make her wide-eyed, and make her grip that rifle tighter.

Anne jumped as Azriella touched her shoulder not expecting the touch and so focused on her task and the danger. Anne gave Azriella a small nod and nervous laugh. "That's probably a good idea..." Then promptly went to ignore the transformation, too familiar with her were-friends to consider it odd. Seeing the tension adopted by Kayla Anne grasped her shoulder and gave a reassuring smile. Letting out a shaky breath as they continued forward annoyed and inconsistent murmurs filled the air from the nature around them. The lumbering trees taking their sweet time in explaining what disturbed them. Anne's face scrunched up in concentration as she tried to make sense of the maddening and overwhelming jumble of words and gossip. The wind disturbing the tall grass and making it hard to hear Anne made a noise of strain as her face crumpled up worried she might miss something. Then she heard a give away from one of the nearby trees and her eyes snapped alert in that direction as she tensed for action and mouthed the words the tree spoke. "They-they are hiding right!" Anne gestured into the thick brush nearby and a few other directions. Then gave a wild look to her Pops as her face bloomed with panic. Now waking up from her denial and dropping into stunning realization. This was dangerous and they could all very well die. All of this happening within seconds giving barely any time to react.

Kayla softened at the touch on her shoulder, and stayed behind Anne. A good thing, too. Because she was the first one to hear Anne's mutterings. When she shouted it out, Kayla's face drained of colour and she locked eyes with her father.

Federov's eyes went wide briefly, and his hands went to his guns.

"GET DOWN, ALL OF YOU!!"

He spun around, drawing both pistols with a twirl as gunfire erupted from that direction, small arms fire peppering the ground. Federov's revolvers fired rapidly, his wrists and arms snapping from point to point, black-dressed masked men falling in a red mist as soon as they broke cover. The old man fired his guns empty as he dashed towards a tree, cowering behind it to reload.

Kayla, meanwhile, took this opportunity to grab Anne by the shoulders and tackle her to the floor. With no cover whatsoever, the two were completely exposed, relying on the other two to provide a distraction and covering offence. Kayla pushed up to a crouch, doing her best to suppress the treeline with her automatic rifle, though she clearly wasn't as skilled with a weapon as her dad was.

Walking along behind the group, those heavily padded feet were surprisingly quiet as she loped along. Tall, pointed ears twitched and flicked in this direction and that. Every sound was accounted for and multicolored eyes scanned the tree line, every so often going back to Anne and taking any cues from her she could.

The she-wolf had heard the panicked murmurs as well and feral eyes squinted at each spot she pointed at. A low, guttural growl rose from somewhere deep in the wolf's chest that sounded like the creaking grown of old tree as she strained to see forms hidden in the brush.

It all seemed to happen at once. Sam yelled for them all to get down as gunfire erupted from his revolvers and the tree line in unison. Flinching slightly at the sound, Az moved closer to Anne and watched as bullet littered the dirt and puffs of red mist erupted from the forest. Sam emptied his weapons into the opposing men and then dashed behind a tree to reload. Anne and Kayla however, having no such cover, hit the ground and then Kayla was up in a crouch, offering return fire. The ammunition in those weapons offered all parties a distance that the wolf couldn't cover, however, she wasn't about to do nothing. Moving over towards the downed pair, she positioned herself between them and the offensive fire in a way that allowed Kayla to return fire but any stray bullets that came there way would hit her first.

Kayla tackled them both to the floor with tact as Anne should have done but was just a frightened little bunny rabbit didn't do. At the very least Emi was ready and as soon as the two hit the floor he had Anne in his vines as thick as a city light post. Careful to keep the thorns surrounding them small so as not to scratch them as he watched Kayla's back and blocked the fire with his vines. Tossing a few here and there aside. The very trees themselves seeing Anne and recognizing her from frequent visits to see Sylvie started raising their roots to trip some of the men with guns up. They wouldn't kill but that didn't mean they weren't up for some mischief. The one tree that complained about the man being too heavy and alerted Anne dropped him like such unwanted trash. Emi seeing Azriella try and take bullets lunged his vines in to protect her from harm. Anne coward underneath Emi and covered her head. Fiercely closing her eyes and trying to remain calm which was a nearly impossible task. She could feel the darkness already closing in on her as her eyes began to turn a dead white and her hair began to float. She coughed roughly at the dirt being thrown in the air and the shouts. Emi's veins encouraging the group to move to cover seeing Sam move.

Federov had reloaded by now, and the brief respite the goons had was quickly broken. Seeing his daughters being fired upon, the old man seemed to fly into a rage, diving out from behind cover and walking into the woods, into enemy fire as his revolvers moved like a blur. Not one bullet missed, the Russian rushing forward to shoot a man up from his chin through the top of his head, then grabbing his body and using it for a shield as he took out three more.

Kayla was now securely protected by both Az and the vines, and propped herself against the makeshift vine wall. Closing one eye, she popped off rounds at a steady pace, suppressing those near her father and covering him as he cut his way through them like a field of wheat.

As soon as Azriella had stepped in front of Anne and Kayla, a stray bullet caught her in the top of the left thigh and there was a yelp as she faltered but didn't fall. Before more bullets could do more damage she saw those massive vines shoot past and then in front of her, shielding her from the brunt of the attack. Protective vine wall in place, she looked back towards the pair to make sure none of them had been hit.

The tides had already been turned in their favor. The trees and plants joining in the fight as one man was dropped and several were upended or weapons torn from their hands. Seeing that Anne and Kayla both were ok, Azriella went to turn back towards the tree line. As her gaze arced in that direction, she happened to see Sam, weapons reloaded, duck out from behind that tree and start walking towards the wall of offensive fire.

Brutally disposing of the men one by one, Kayla too started picking off attackers one by one as well, her aim improving considerably with the help of Emi's vines. Sam on the move and Kayla playing sniper, Azriella spared a glance back towards Anne. Her hair had begun to float as if underwater and the wolf knew exactly what that meant.

Sam seemed very capable in dispatching their foes, as did Kayla. Taking advantage of the cover fire and the protective vines, Azriella moved for Anne, quickly scooping her up in her arms and making it over to the tree where Sam had found cover earlier.

Suddenly, as quickly as it had started, the gunfire ceased. Federov lowered his guns, approaching one of the hired goons who was crawling away. The last man standing. It seemed a stray bullet had caught him in the leg, instead of killing him. Kayla, most likely. The old man looked back towards the group, huddled together in a mass of vines, then back to this man. He sighed... and reached down to help him up. Limping, the masked man looked at him in shock, silence falling between them, before Federov tilted his head in the direction of the forest. The young man took off, without another word.

Kayla cautiously got to her feet, panting and lowering her rifle before spotting Anne and rushing towards her. "ANNE!! Anne, are you ok?!"

Hearing the constant murmur of sarcasm from Emi was the only thing helping Anne hang onto any semblance of herself as she struggled for a breath. Her blacking out was not something any of them need right now. Uncertain if that side of herself would go on a nonsensical rampage and hurt the people she loved. The trees nearby starting to droop and shutter as Anne could no longer hold off her emotions from over flowing letting out a scream of terror. The sudden falling branches slapping a few of the men and knocking some out. Emi faltering in his quickness to defend as his movements became unpredictable and not his own.

Only calming slightly a Azriella took Anne in her arms and hastened her away. She turned over in Azriella's arms and spat out a red substance as she appeared dazed and confused. Anne's blinking becoming heavy her eyes losing focus as she gasped gripping onto Azriella like she was her lifeline. Emi now regaining some composure and refocusing on covering Kayla and Sam as he sent a man flying and snatched a few weapons to chuck them hurling in every which direction. Making sure to protect his precious roots from harm having learned his lesson the first time around.

Then the firing stopped, the remanences of war floating on the air as downed men groaned their last gurgled breaths. The red smoke from the disturbed dirt choking the air. Emi quickly darted over to Anne's side and slapped her cheeks with two vines as she gurgled and choked. Her eyes somewhere else as she struggled to sputter out words. "Don'-don't leave me-ple-stop. Don't go-" Anne took in a deep troubled breath as her eyes darted around seeing ghosts, fire, screams, and red-red blood. The nature still drooping and stumbling. "Do-don't leave me alone...y-you can fit through the window-please..." Anne spat up more of the earthy red liquid smelling of mud as one hand gripped at her aching shoulder. Hearing Kayla scream out to her those eyes narrowed in her direction though not seeing her as liquid ran from the corner of her lips. "I can-can't see you through all the smoke-" Anne took a deeper breath as she appeared to be fighting to regain consciousness in the present.

By now, Federov had also noticed, and had rushed over to Anne's side. He stopped beside her, and reached down to grab her hand. "Anne... Baby... Anne, are you ok... it's me, it's your dad- Anne!"

Azriella had reached the tree quickly, those long, powerful legs propelling her forward despite the gunshot wound in her thigh. Anne safe from the remaining gunfire, Az bent down and gently laid her on the ground, though stayed close as Anne gripped and held onto her fur. Kayla was first, screaming for Anne and asking if she was ok. Emi was second, pushing his way through her own vines and past Kayla before slapped Anne's cheeks and fighting to keep her on this side.

Kayla and Emi more than enough attention for the sputtering woman, Azriella dared a glance in Sam's direction just in time to see him nod towards the forest and send the last remaining offender running off, away from them all.

As Azriella scanned the trees and bushes one last time, making sure there were no more stragglers or well hidden troops waiting to attack, Sam also made his way over to the crowd that now seemed to be gathering around Anne as she fought for consciousness. With Sam, Kayla and Emi around her, checking and attending to her, Azriella stepped away to give them all enough room. Hopefully it would be enough to keep Anne here and the other at bay.

Anne could see a swarm of people like blobs and muffled shouts as she roughly shook her head and sat up. Narrowing and widening her eyes a she tried to understand what she was seeing. The ambiguous figures surrounding her sounded familiar past the screaming in her head. Sort of relieved when the larger blob took a step back it's largeness even more unfamiliar. In her daze she was able to make out her Pops' words and the stubble nuances of his face. Anne took in a wheezing breath as she coughed up more liquid blocking her pipes squeezing the hand that held hers and blinking several times. Her endless blue eyes returning to her and her hair returning to her shoulders. "Pops..." Anne said as more of a question then looked around to the other people through squinted eyes. Only to look back to him again. "You...everyone is ok? I'm sorry...I just..." Anne gave a sigh of relief and weakly hugged her father as she grabbed her sister into the embrace. Emi now seeing Anne was fine hastened over to Azriella and his vines started studying her for injury as the others worked on Anne. He swayed over as he assessed Azirella's wounds.

Kayla leaped into the hug, clutching her sister closely. "Oh, god... I got so worried... Anne, are you sure you're- Dad?!"

Federov had backed away sharply from the hug, wincing and clutching his abdomen. He was panting wheezily, and pulling his hand away revealed a slowly expanding redness on the white shirt underneath his jacket. Groaning and clenching his teeth together, he tightly fastened his jacket, and secured his gun belt tightly around his waist over it, to keep pressure on the wound. Now a lot more pale, he managed a weak chuckle. "... Seems I ain't as good as I was, huh..."

Az let Sam and Kayla look over and check on Anne for now. They were more than enough now seeing that Anne was starting to come out of it. Watching for just a few moments longer, making sure nothing suddenly changed about the situation, Azriella looked down as vines moved over to her and starting patting her down, checking for injury.

Bringing a clawed hand down slowly, she very delicately and gently took the vine closest to her thigh and guided her to where the wound on her leg was. When that vined touched it, there was a tiny wince and Azriella looked over to where the bulk of Emi's body was and nodded, confirming that he'd found it.

Federov took a few steps backwards, watching the three of them regroup. Or... four of them, counting Emi. He sighed, his face falling as he seemed to deflate, slowly sliding his guns back into his holsters. He looked at Kayla, a forlorn, defeated look in his eye.

He whistled loudly, and hoofbeats could be heard in the distance.

Emi seemed rather worried indeed, those pats growing in urgency having found the hole left by the bullet in her thigh. He seemed to dip and sway in front of her as vines searched for any other possible wounds the she-wolf might have sustained. He thought he'd possibly found another before he felt a fur covered hand smack at that leaf gently, batting it away. When she looked up at Az, if she did, she would see the stern look in the wolf's eyes as she glared at him and just shook her head.

Anne's eyes shot over to Azriella as she heard Emi's indication that the she-wolf was hurt throwing her into a dizzying despair. Then when Kayla shouted out to their Pops Anne's eyes screamed over wildly wide to her father as she took in a gasping breath of shock covering her mouth as the tears began to fall. "Pops...no, no, no, this-this wasn't suppose to happen. I-I was suppose to protect you but I-" Anne trembled as she fought back the sobs that threatened to rip through her. "I should have..." Anne whined and held Kayla close as her eyes stared at the bloodied hand and wound. Hearing the whistle her eyes shot to focus. "We-we need to get you to a hospital Pops-we have to go we have to go now!" Anne shouted as she made move to stand. Emi wrapping a vine and apply the pressure to the right wound this time on Azriella.

Federov shook his head slowly as Langston turned the corner, Kayla's horse following with him. "No, I... I cough, cough d-don't think that'll be necessary, darlin'.... cough, cough" Hacking and spluttering, clutching his chest, he leaned on the horse for support. After a moment, he caught his wheezy, laboured breath and spat some blood out onto the ground. He tightened the saddle on Langston, and gently pet the horse's neck, turning towards Anne. "... I think I... I gotta go have a little chat with Mr. Featherston. Before I get much sicker."

Kayla was frozen in place. Her mouth open, not able to form words as she watched her father pack up and get ready, as though he was just riding off like any other day. But she knew. She knew what was going to happen, and she could do nothing but watch. She couldn't move. She couldn't breathe. She tried to speak, but not even a whimper came out. She felt tears spike at her eyes as she stared at him.

While Anne pleaded for Sam to get to a hospital, Kayla stared dumbfounded at her father and Sam readied himself to face Featherston and rescue Morgan, Azriella had slipped to the other side of that tree they had been using for cover. Absent for a few moments, she would emerge from behind it wearing a new pair of jeans and finishing pulling down a different shirt. There was a small red stain on the left pants leg and as she walked by Emi she swatted softly at seeking vines before moving closer to Anne, Kayla and Sam.

Emi kept berating Azriella with worried caresses as she wandered back to the group. Flinching occasionally as his advances were rightfully denied.

Anne's crystal blue eyes filled with tears darted between her sister and Pops as she grinded her teeth the sobs tumbling through. Then her mind narrowed and now it was only her Pops and her no one else existed as she charged forward. "I-I'm not letting you go alone-I can't-I can't you'll...NO!" Anne shouted firmly stepping in front of Langston as she scrambled up clenched fists at her side. Never looking more child-like in her life as she protested in her innocent and naïve way. Plunging herself so firmly in the depths of denial this entire time and still refusing to see the light of this situation as the tears clouded her vision. "You-I'm not letting you leave me...NO! No more people will leave me! Not anymore! I'm not letting you go alone!" Anne screeched out the final words with such a ferocity she stunned even herself as she stumbled back a few steps. Listening to that final word echoing off the trees and sending birds flapping away in the otherwise empty world around her as she could only see it as now. Then she whispered that word to herself as the denial began to slip into reason.

"Alone......."

Anne murmured to herself as she felt the walls closing in around her. Eyes never leaving her Pops slumped over Langston as she stammered out. "I-I'm scared Pops...I'm scared-" The anger in her face melting away to crocodile tears. She wasn't ready this couldn't be the end. Anne thought to herself still trying to keep the treadles of denial wrapped around her eyes as she clung to hope.

Federov clenched his eyes shut, letting Anne yell, and stand in front of his horse, and just waiting for her to calm down. This was all too much... too much for him. Those last words cut into him like daggers, cold in his chest as he opened his eyes and walked forward, slowly.

He placed a hand on her cheek, gently wiping away her tears with his thumb.

"I'm not leaving you, Anne. I could never leave you." His other hand grasped hers. "... Because I will always be with you. Right by your side, forever. I promise you that." Tears silently fell down his cheeks as he pulled her into a soft, gentle hug, petting her hair. "... It's alright, kid. It's ok... Everything ends. An' it's always sad. But everything begins again too. An' that's always happy." He pulled back from the hug to look into her eyes, echoing himself from hours before.

"Be happy, Anne. For me. Just... be happy. An' I'll take care o' the rest."

"I'm not ready-I'm not ready...there are so many things we still need to do together! I need more time....I don't want things to end I need you Pops..Kayla needs you and I need you-this isn't right..." Anne said through her tears, her words spiraling down letting the tears be wiped away as she abruptly hugged him to her. Her face beat red from trying to not cry in so many moments this horrendous day and Emi's caresses now abruptly stopping as he twitched and jerked violently. The flood gates opening as Anne finally accepted her grief in full.. "I can't-I can't let you go off and..." Anne squeaked a painful sound where the word should have gone as she clutched onto him. Deaths icy fingers yet again stealing from her such precious family and it made Anne feel wretched to succumb to that realization. His skin already clammy and growing cold and grey in her arms as she held him. His pulse slowing like the screech of a chalk board against Anne's ears as she sobbed. "Let me come with you please...I can't let you go off and...all alone...no..." Anne gave a loud sniffle. Emi shifted his weight towards the two as if just now realizing the gravity of this situation himself.

He held her to his chest, letting her get her tears out as he fought back his own. He couldn't let her see him cry. Not now. He leaned down to place a kiss on her forehead, and rested her against him. "... I won't be alone, Anne. I know you'll be right there with me. All of you will. But if I bring you, then he'll kill Morgan. An' I can't let that happen, ok?" He was trying his hardest to keep his voice calm and smooth and comforting, as his breath became shaky.

"But I-I can help-he-he'll never have to see me? Nature can protect you and I-I don't even have to be next to you?" Anne offered in what she knew was a fruitless attempt to get those precious last moments being helpful to her Pops for the last time. Anne let out a sigh of defeat before a response was even given. "I'll...I'll be happy for you ok Pops...it won't be easy...without you." Anne let a sob escape and she wrapped her arms more firmly around him. "But...I'll try ok?" Anne sniffled as she looked to Kayla now with her shimmering blue eyes before continuing. "Kayla and me will make you so proud...you'll see." Anne mustered up a smile at that.

He looked down at her, tearful eyes meeting hers as he forced a smile. "... You already make me proud, Anne. So proud." He broke, his voice starting to shake as tears fell. "... I couldn't ask for... for anyone better. You... You brought out the best in me, Anne. And if you want to do something for me, do one thing. Just this, Anne."

He held both of her hands in his as he broke down, sobbing through his words. "... H-Have a good life, Anne. Do that for me, ok? H-Have a fantastic life..."

Anne swallowed waiting for the words on bated breath and nodded fervently as she took in sucking breaths past the sobs before the words were even uttered. Large tears flying off in all directions as she nodded and bit into her lip. Sobbing now as he spoke those words and feeling the bitter bite of sadness as she swallowed yet again that bitter pill the world forced down her throat. "That is the one thing...the one thing I can do to give back for everything you have given me. This family who loves me and a home that welcomes me. Of course I will...of course...Kayla and me we will do it together." Anne sobbed as she cried with her father for what would be the last time. This was indeed the end.

Federov held Anne in his arms, and turned to Azriella, tearful eyes surveying her face for a moment, before he spoke up. "Az... Thank you. For everything. You... You're a good person. And a better friend." He gently let Anne go for a moment, and took a few steps forward until he was facing her. He pulled her into a hug, closing his eyes and whispering to her.

"Take care of Anne. Please."

Azriella had been silent, simply watching as Sam and Anne had a final, heartfelt moment together. When the old man turned and looked to her, she quickly brought a hand up and drug a finger across the corner of her eye, wiping away a tear that had managed to escape the other that pooled in her eyes. Managing a smile through the sadness, she nodded a couple of times. "You are very welcome, Sam. And thank you." When he let Anne go and turned to her, her brows rose up in the middle and eyes went a little wider just before he pulled her into a hug. She returned that hug gratefully, her arms wrapping around him and squeezing gently while her eyes squeezed shut and two more tears found release and came streaming down her cheeks. She knew this was coming. Everything he had said pointed to it. It didn't make it any easier though.

"I will, Sam. Don't you worry. I will."

When her father let go it was all too soon. He was still here walking, talking even, and already she missed him so deeply it left an ugly unbearable pit in her stomach. Her arms going to hug herself until her crystal eyes pooling with tears looked over to her sister and she went to her suddenly. Throwing her arms wide as a loud and unbridled sob escaped her trembling lips. Anne hugged her sister to her fiercely as she admired her Pops trying to remember every detail with a frantic urgency. Afraid she would forget his face, his voice, and the way he walked. What made her Pops her father, those little details that would soon escape her memory and she knew it. How wretched that made her feel-to be robbed by the passage of time. To forget faces, voice, of loved ones. Such precious things it was a curse for the mind to forget.

Kayla barely seemed to notice when Anne hugged her, though she had the presence of mind to gently hold her sister. Her eyes were fixated on her father's, and now... he was looking back at her.

Federov slowly turned to face Kayla, allowing tears to stream down silently. Neither of them said a word to each other.

Until Kayla very slowly let Anne go, and took a few steps over towards him. Trembling and shaking, all of a sudden she was that same lost little child again. And in that moment, through a choked sob, as her hand game up to gently press against his wrinkled cheek, Kayla Vincent Katriah Federov said something that she had never said before in her life.

"I... I love you, Dad."

Federov's mouth opened silently, at a loss, unable to form words, and in that same moment, they embraced each other. Sobbing into each other's arms. Father and daughter once again. For the last time.

Azriella watched Sam turn to his daughter, then looked back and forth between the two. When Kayla released Anne and took that step towards the man, Az watched with rapt anticipation as they both neared each other. Then Kayla said told him she loved him and a hand came up to cover her mouth as more tears spilled forth and streaked those cheeks. It was heartwarming, and heartbreaking at the same time, and she remained silent, letting them have their moment.

At those words Anne's face that was maintaining some sort of semblance of composure fell completely apart her mouth going to open, but no words coming out. Going to nod instead as she caved in on herself gasping for air. That was the last straw for Anne as she crumpled to the floor now sobbing uncontrollably as she was gutted by Kayla's words. So simple but so very painful and true. It hit Anne like a ton of brinks as she looked between the two from her position on the floor.

Federov pulled back from the hug when Anne fell, and Kayla rushed to her side. She wrapped her arms around her sister, letting her cry into her shoulder as she looked up at her dad.

"Go." She tried to force a smile on her face. "... I'll take care of her. You go."

"I love you Kayla...I love you Azriella..."Anne sniffled through her tears. "We all love you Pops. We'll all see you again...one day..."Anne continued to cry into the support of her sister forcing her gaze away and unable to watch him as he went.

Azriella's attention went to Anne when she collapse onto the ground and then Kayla rushed to her sister's side and held her. Hearing both of their words, she turned to Sam and agreed. "Go, Sam. Go get your boy. We've got this." Going over to where Anne and Kayla were, she knelt down beside Anne opposite Kayla and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I love you too, Anne." Then she looked up again and smiled, those tears still filling her eyes but understanding.

Federov nodded, looking at the three of them in turn, before getting atop Langston. He took a deep breath, looking down the path ahead of him as far as he could, until it bent in the undergrowth. He looked down from his horse at the three of them with a smile. "... I love you too. All of you."

With that, Langston started trotting towards that gravel path. From his bag, the old Russian gunslinger produced his hat, and with one hand, he placed it firmly atop his head. His hand went down to the locket around his neck, clutching it tight for a moment as he looked up to the sky and muttered to himself.

"... Just you hol' on now, Becky. I'ma comin'."

With that, he face forward, and grabbed the reigns.

"HYAH!!"

The great white stallion reared up on its hind legs, silhouetted in the orange sunlight beaming through the trees, before they both took off.
Sam A. Federov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: The Last Ride - Part 3

Post by Sam A. Federov »

As he rode through the forest, he felt the light of the waning sun against his face, illuminating the path ahead of him in gold and orange. His horse powered onwards as his mind raced. Voices, flicking in and out of his head.

"You can't change what's done, you can only move on..."

"... Thank you, Gramps. You're good people."

"... I see you as a good man. Troubled, perhaps. And one with quite the past... but a good man. Righteous, you are not. Godly... no. Good? Yes..."
A single tear came to his face as he looked down at Langston as they rode together, petting his neck.

"You know what, ol' boy?"

"... I think I did ok."

The trees eventually cleared, then. Slowing down, Federov emerged into a clearing. He stopped, staring down what awaited him,

A dirty, dingy old log cabin.

He slid off of his horse, and drew both of his pistols, approaching cautiously.

"... FEATHERSTON!! ... I'M CALLIN' YOUR COWARDLY ASS OUT!!"

The door to the cabin burst open, and out came a shiny silver gun barrel first... then the person whose head it was pressed against.

Morgan stumbled at the shoving of the man, an arm around his neck and hands bound behind him. His feet could not move as quickly as he was being shifted, not tightly bound but rather loosely shackled to allow for some for of shuffle walking. His head rolled limply on his neck, hair soaked in sweat and messy, as if having been used as a way to pull him up to his very feet. This, perhaps, wasn't quite as disturbing, really, as the rust red stain that started at the waistband of sweatpants, dried blood soaked nearly down to mid-thigh. His abdomen had been hastily wrapped in gauze and bandages, but there was the softest stain of pink starting to blossom from quick movement.

Pale, yet somewhat fevered, the acrobat was weakened, and leaned back against the ex-agent, effectively a human shield. He looked up to Federov with dull amber eyes, and tilted his head, giving a soft sound. Whether it was meant to be words, it was hard to tell behind a fresh application of silver duct tape.

The sight of Morgan in this state hit the old man like a freight train. His eyes locked with Morgan's, shock and horror on his face, before he immediately raised both of his pistols, hands shaking behind the triggers, glaring at the man who was slowly emerging from behind. "You rat bastard..."

With one arm around Morgan's neck, occasionally shifting and kicking his weight to better position the boy, and the other holding a gun to his head, came Featherston. The grimy, dirty grey hoodie was a far cry from the sleek, ironed FBI uniforms of the past, and so were the wide, bloodshot eyes and the manic grin. "Well, look who decided to finally show..." His grin widened as he pressed the barrel of that pistol harder against Morgan's temple. "... Come to, uh... appeal to my better nature, is that it? Eh? ... Maybe beg me to show some mercy?"

Morgan grunted as he was moved around like a rag doll, and winced as the barrel was pressed into his temple hard enough to push his head to the side, his eyes shutting tight. At the very bottom of the tape, a small smear of fresh crimson was starting to appear.

Federov wasn't looking at Featherston at all, his eyes focused on Morgan. Every mark, every bruise, every smear of blood made his whole body shake with anger. He was furious. He felt more alive now than he had in years.

His eyes drifted to the duct tape on Morgan's mouth, and the slight streak of red. His gaze drifted up and locked with his.

He looked back to Featherston, taking a step forward. "... He's just a boy, Mike. Let 'im go. He's done nothin' to you. This is between you an' me. Nobody else."

"JESS DID NOTHING TO YOU, ASSHOLE!!" Featherston's eyes were wider now, his knuckles white against the handle of that gun, his finger twitching dangerously against the trigger. "YOU TOOK HER FROM ME!! WHY SHOULD I TREAT YOU ANY DIFFERENT, HUH?!"

Morgan flinched once more, eyes again focusing, barely, on Sam... and the young man started to shake. His knees buckled, and bound hands reached behind him as if to steady, to grab anything they could, maybe a thigh, or to get caught in a pocket, gripping tight. A weak sob came from the acrobat, but no tears fell from his eyes.

Perhaps he was simply too weak to stand on his own, now taxing heavily on the man's arm as he tried to retain his grip around a skinny neck.

When Morgan collapsed, Featherston wrenched him up by the neck, half-strangling the poor boy to keep his shield upright. "I don't fucking think so... you're staying awake, you little shit..."

Federov's finger twitched around the trigger, and he exhaled softly. Not close enough. He took another slow step forward, trying to close as much of the distance as possible while Featherston was distracted.

"He can barely stand up, you evil bastard!! Just let 'im go, an' we can sort this out like g-gentlem- cough ... cough, cough." Federov stumbled a little, very nearly falling himself, before regaining his footing and spitting some blood out onto the floor.

Featherston grinned, locking eyes with the Russian. "... What's the matter, old man? You feeling alright?" His grin widened.

In the jerking movement, there was a strangles noise that came from Morgan, and he took the opportunity to wrench his head to the side, smearing blood across the man's forearm as his jaw tightened. Tape caught briefly on the fabric of the grey hoodie, and he righted himself weakly, seemingly concentrating on standing up, though he seemed to be swaying, still gripping at Featherston's leg, as if it were the only thing keeping him upright. He looked back to Sam, and his brow furrowed deeply, as if pleading.

Federov grunted as he straightened up, his breath hoarse and wheezy. "... I feel just fine, asshole." His grip tightened around his pistols as he caught that look from Morgan, a blink being the only acknowledgement.

"You don't have to do this, Mike. You really don't." He took a step forward. "... I can't change who I was in the past. I can't expect you to forgive me for what I done neither. But killin' me... killin' an innocent boy... it won't solve nothin', you understand?" He paused, taking another step forward, the two locking eyes. "... It won't make you feel better. An' it damn sure won't bring Jess ba-"

"SHUT UP!! DON'T YOU FUCKING SAY HER NAME!!" Featherston took a step backwards, his hand now shaking around that gun handle, his grip loosening only the tiniest bit around Morgan's neck.

"How would you be any better'n me, huh?! If you killed that boy, how would you be any fuckin' different than me-"

"DON'T FUCKING COMPARE ME TO YOU!! YOU SACK O' SHIT!!"

Morgan seemed to gasp for breath when that grip was loosened, eyes widening as he stumbled back a step with the man. The grip on a leg faltered, and one hand fanned out as if to regain grip, fingertips fluttering over the mid-seam of pants. There was a small sound of tape tearing away from skin as his jaw pulled, mouth opening with a small spatter of blood. Lesson one from Mallory Maeda: Blood made for the most powerful magic. See how it loosened tape! And Lesson two... He rolled his head back to red on Featherston's shoulder, trying to pull his own skull away from the barrel of that pistol, then fingertips twitched, still fanned out over a crotch as he grunted.

"You suck."

Lesson two: When in doubt, go for the dangly bits.

A reddish flash seemed to break loose from his palm, enacting that very lesson.

Featherston stumbled backwards, his grip faltering on the still-shackled Morgan, hands still around his gun as he almost collapsed, shot backwards in pain. With only a split-second to react, he raised the gun, pointing it at Morgan-

When Federov tackled him to the ground. He successfully smacked the gun out of his hand, sending it clattering across the floor, and pinned him down, raising both his pistols.

Featherston grabbed his wrists just as he fired, the bullets hitting the ground by the Ex-Agent's head. They rolled sideways, one of the guns falling from their grip and being swatted away by Featherston before Federov could grab it.

Morgan tumbled to the ground nearly as soon as he was let go, dropping first to his knees, then rolling to his back. While the struggled, the acrobat struggled, shifting and curling and grunting in the pain it caused him to do so, that red blossom growing slowly on the bandages on his belly as he lifted his legs and threaded his body through his bound arms like a needle. Immediately, he pulled the tape from his mouth, spitting blood from a mouth with cracked lips, smeared crimson and spotted with the remnants of older blood. He tried to scramble up to his hands and knees, panting heavily and clutching at his belly.

Federov's other gun also flew out of reach, and the two grappled on the ground. Federov swung down hard, raining fist after fist after fist. There was a sickening crunch as Featherston's nose was broken, blood starting to seep everywhere, until Federov's fist was caught.

Featherston countered with a hook that sent Federov stumbling to the right, and almost immediately he was coughing and hacking up a storm, retching and spluttering blood as he groggily pushed himself to his feet. The two circled each other, fists raised, until Featherston dived in.

The Russian took a series of hard punches to the sides of his head, rocking him on his feet and sending spats of blood flying in every direction. He was soon tackled, where his head and chest were pummelled some more, each shot to the body sending a splash of blood from the gunslinger's mouth, until he caught one of the shots, grabbed Featherston by the scruff, and headbutted him, sending him sprawling off to the side.

A few metres away sat one of Federov's guns. He tried to push himself to his feet, but... he was too weak. His arms gave way. Then his legs gave way. And then he was crawling, crawling towards that gun, bloodshot eyes staring at Morgan, who was within reach of it. His voice came out as a croak, airy and wheezy and gargled. Barely sounding human.

"M-Morgan... th... th... guhn!!"

Morgan looked on with wide eyes as the two struggled, his wrist at his mouth, lips pulled back and teeth working their way through the thick plastic ziptie... He was almost through, when Federov called out to him... Of course, now that he'd been instructed to grab the gun, he had no choice than to grab at the thing. For if he didn't... Featherston would. That's how it always went in movies, right? He lunged forward, and fumbled with the piece, settling on his knees and holding it up. Really, it was an unwieldy thing. He hated the way it felt in his hands, trembling with a soft metallic clatter as he pointed it directly at the Ex-agent. Hopefully.

Ohgodohgodohgod.

Federov reached out, just as Featherston was getting to his feet. With all his effort, he shouted out, the effort of which tore at his throat... "TOSS IT!!"

His eyes ticked from one man to the other, and he... Did exactly what he was told. He didn't want the fucking thing, anyway. He underhand tossed the gun toward Sam, nearly falling to his face in the process. And then he immediately started gnawing at that zip tie again, scooting back on his knees to a much safer position.

Federov caught it in mid air, spinning around to point it at the agent-

Only to get kicked square in the face and sent onto his back, coughing and spluttering, his breathing coming in gasps and irregular choking gulps of air.

Featherston, limping, walked over and picked up the gun with a grin on his face. He took his time, slowly walking over until he was standing over the old man, smiling from ear to ear. "... Goodbye, Sam. I'll see you in Hell."

He raised the gun, and pulled back the hammer-

Snap went the ties, and there was the smallest breathy huff of triumph from Morgan, who looked up the moment Featherston kicked Sam in the face. His breath caught in his throat, and he held up his hand, as if to stop the man.

"NO." He bellowed, though it tore at his throat to do so, ached in his belly at the sheer force of the word. Fingertips curled, and again there was that flash, more red than pink, a furious gout of energy that left blood trickling in a single drop down his unwounded palm. The crackle of energy was aimed much steadier than he could ever hope to pull off with a firearm. Never had he felt such anger. Such hatred. Never had he ever before had a way to focus it before. Everything, every bit he could muster, was put into that word. That single cantrip.

Just as the trigger was pulled, Featherston was blown off his feet and backwards, soaring 20 feet through the air and crashing into the wall of the cabin. He collapsed in a heap beside it, a small stream of blood pooling down his forehead. He slowly pushed himself back up to his feet, not entire sure where he was-

Morgan grimaced to watch the man fly back, but not in empathy. His panting grew labored as he stood, his shoulders heavy as he shuffled, jingling, toward the man, the blooded palm held out toward him. So many things he could say. So many quips, so many... but nothing went through his head other than the rush of blood. Pain fueled the drumbeat in his ears, and the stinging of sweat in his eyes only spurred him on.

"Fuck you." He growled through gritted teeth, and another crackling bolt of energy surged forth from his palm, just as red, just as angry as before. "FUCK YOU."

Featherston had only time to widen his eyes, before the bolt hit him.

He smashed right through the wall of the cabin, and through the back wall after that. His body soared another 20-30 feet, landing with a sickening crunch in the rocky river nearby.

There was a moment Morgan nearly followed to make sure the man was dead. To blast again, and again, and again... his blood screamed for it. His heart sang for it. But his body... he slumped, and let his head hang a moment, before he turned away from whatever heap was left in the bed of the creek... back toward Sam. Quickly. Quickly. He dropped heavily to his knees beside the man, shaking and panting. He didn't even notice the tears streaking through dirt and blood down his cheeks.

Federov's eyes were only barely open, blood and dirt and sweat coating his face as he struggled for air. Weakly, a wrinkled hand came up and rested against Morgan's cheek. He smiled, struggling to speak, his throat not quite able to handle the effort. "... Morgan... my boy... you're ok..."

His eyes narrowed slightly as he let his gaze flicker over the old man, and he leaned down to shift him up from the ground, and into a more seated position against him.

"I'm okay... I'm okay, old man." He sounded as if he were trying, maybe, to reassure the both of them. Say it enough, it becomes truth.

Federov leaned his back against Morgan's chest, his eyes drifting up over the treeline ahead of them at the darkening sky. He looked up at him, a weak, wrinkled hand gently wrapping around his. "... I... I ain't so sure about me though, huh..."

Blood was pooling on the dirt around them slowly.

Morgan wrapped his arms the best he could around Federov, attempting to stabilize his body, and his breath hitched, eyes wildly flicking to the ground, and then to the man in his lap. He could feel the warm blood seeping through the fabric of his pants, and whimpered. "No... You're okay, too. Okay? I can heal you, okay? You're okay. You're going to be okay. You're not gonna die here. I'm gonna heal you, and we... We can go to the Magic Man, okay? Get you some more of that shit he made." His fingertips were pressing into bloody fabric and flesh, and a pink shimmer was desperately seeking to staunch, to heal.

"Morgan..."

His hand closed around the one trying to heal him, and he looked up, shaking his head.

"... It's too late."

The acrobat gave a choked sob, and his lips pulled back as he grimaced, his entire face tightening, screwing up in pain. "I have to try..." he whimpered, but another shimmer did not come from caught fingers. His head dropped forward as his arms snaked around Federov. Another hitch of breath, and he tightened his grip. Somewhere, he knew there was a truth. Even if he healed Sam, even if he knit wounds and stopped the bleeding... It would afford him nothing more than a death far more agonizing. his body tilted, and he started to rock back and forth, sobbing quietly. Barely, he managed to speak, a soft squeak, high pitched and desperate. "I have... to try..."

Federov smiled up at him, squeezing his hand gently. "You've done more than enough, boy... much more than enough." He paused. "... I'm proud o' you. So very proud."

Morgan's spine nearly collapsed beneath the weight of his own grief as he bent over the old man, his fingers gripping at the lapel of the vest he wore, his face burying into the collarbone as he cried softly, still rocking gently. "We were supposed to go fishing... We were supposed to... I was gonna take you to the ocean... We..." he took a deep, shuddering breath, and pulled his face away, looking down with a sad smile, head tilting.

"You did too. You got a lot of people that are gonna miss you, old man. A whole ass family. You're not alone, see? Not anymore."

Federov turned his gaze to the treeline once more, watching the sun dip lower in the sky. He smiled. "... No. No, I suppose not."

There was a moment of silence, before Federov spoke again.

"You're my son, Morgan."

He looked up at him, clutching his hand. "... You may not be blood of my blood, but... I know a piece of me lives on in you... and I know I didn't do much of any of right, but... I'm damn proud that you're my boy." His other hand clasped around his, opening it, and placing a small metal object in his palm.

There was the smallest sound that was somewhere between a laugh and a sob as the man spoke, and a long sniff. Somewhere, he felt the metal being pressed into his palm, and his gaze lowered from Sam's face to whatever it was in his hand, smeared with blood and dirt... With no clue as to where it had come from, anymore. He did not hesitate in his next words. "I'm... I wish I could have saved you... I'm gonna do my best to keep making you proud, old man." There was a tremor to his voice as he spoke, and his gaze moved from the object back to Sam's face, fingers clasping around it. Whatever it was, it could be inspected later. There were more pressing issues.

He paused, grimacing as he turned to face away, looking at the treeline once again. After a minute, he spoke up.

"Be kind. Always be kind. Remember that hate has no value, but love, in any form, is priceless. Don't be cowardly or cruel, and if you ever are, always make up. Always find something to laugh at. Because there always is one." He groaned, shifting his weight slightly. "... Oh, and never ever eat pears. They dribble all down your chin, it's gross. Write that one down, it's important."

He couldn't help the stuttering laugh at the end, and shook his head. "Okay, okay. No pears. I promise. Unless they're really juicy. I don't mind a little dribble on my chin." Okay, so he had to get one last quip in. He sniffled again, and pulled Federov closer, in a tight embrace. "Thank you. Thank you for..." Well. Not everything needed to be spoken aloud. Not every thought needed to be blurted into the universe. He leaned forward, and his hands started to pat at pockets, perhaps looking for a flask.

He laughed, but it quickly turned into more bloody coughing. With a groan, he lay back, his hand once again softly wrapping around Morgan's, his voice coming out as a hoarse, wheezy croak. "I'll always be with you, boy... always... remember that. Anytime you need me, anytime you feel alone. Just look. An' you'll find me."

As he said that, the sun started to set over the horizon, beams of red and orange dashing the sky like a palette, orange clouds dashed against the darkening blue sky, as each leaf on the tree was silhouetted black against the vibrant sky.

Morgan nodded wordlessly, pressing his lips together tightly as he did so, sniffling heavily. "The lake. Maybe we meet at the lake, yeah?" Like he'd actually be able to meet with the man there. Like this wasn't reality. Make plans. "We can catch that big ass bastard that keeps eating all our bait." He was babbling, he knew. But the silence was too painful.

Federov didn't answer.

Morgan's shoulders shook, and he looked down to the man's face, one hand reaching up to wipe a bit of dirt from his cheek. Pointless, he knew. Grey hair was pushed from his forehead, and the boy curled forth again, cradling the man's head and breaking down completely, rocking as he sobbed. He ignored the ache of his legs beneath him. He ignored the throbbing complaint of his abdomen. Shackles around his ankles no longer seemed to be biting so terribly. Everything seemed to be numb, but for the tumultuous knot that had settled in his chest as he rocked a dead man to eternal sleep.

Slowly, quietly, from behind, came the gentle padding of hooves on the undergrowth.

The acrobat didn't seem to notice, caught in his sorrow. Instead, there was the softest plea. "I wanna go home... I wanna go home... Mallory..."

Kayla slowly dropped from Langston's saddle, walking over slowly, her eyes wide, her mouth open. A sharp exhale left her when she saw him. Unmoving. Eyes open and glassy. Blood pooling and drying underneath him.

"Was he happy?"

She suddenly spoke up, her voice barely above a whisper as she fought to keep the tears in. "... In the end, was he... was he happy?" She bit her lip, starting to tremble.

Langston, confused, trotted over towards Morgan. He poked his head down, and ever so gently rubbed his soft nose off of his master's chest. He didn't understand why he wasn't getting up.

Morgan paused, and looked back, giving a small nod. "I tried... I tried, but... I couldn't save him. I'm sorry..." he shifted from beneath the body, and stood shakily, drenched in blood and trembling as the horse nuzzled Sam. "I couldn't save him."

She shook her head, a single tear breaking the dam and falling down her cheek. "... Nobody could."

Morgan was missing.

It had taken Mallory a little while to realize that. After expecting to see him. After a call that was not returned. After six more.

After Seeing him, in pain.

There were wolves padding their way through the Wilds, with sleek black fur and blood red eyes, but they did not harass any beasts they saw. Certainly not the likes of Langston. They searched by scent—

—until the plaintive cry of their master’s name, from one who has fed their power with so many secret offerings, vibrated across the threads of Fate.

Three wolves padded out of the treeline, laid down flat, and looked from the small gathering to the empty space between them, expectantly.

A few moments later, the witch appeared. There was blood in the palm of her left hand and fear and fury in her eyes, until she saw what there was to see... and heartache took their place.

Kayla's eyes didn't leave his face. She had to force herself to look away, when Langston approached her. She turned to him, silently wiping the first specks of tears from her eyes, then... she walked over, and undid his saddle, letting it fall to the ground.

She walked back to his front, pressing a hand against the beast's neck, then petting his nose.

"Go on now, boy."

After a moment, the horse turned, and trotted off into the wilderness.

Morgan looked to The wolves, and sniffled, then to Sam, and Kayla... slowly, he stepped away, backwards. Another jangling step. He felt that thrum, the energy in the air with Mallory's arrival, and turned to her, holding up his hands, palms up. Beseeching? His feet stumbled, and he lurched toward her, barely catching his step for as small as his strides were forced to be. Perhaps he wanted to run. But he could only take those stuttered steps. He took a deep, shuddering breath as he tumbled toward her, and gave a small, childlike cry, plaintive and nearly incoherent.

"Mamaaaaaaa..." perhaps he'd broken, somewhere. Perhaps he had lost his mind. But there, where a young man should be, was only a trembling boy at the end of a very short rope.

Kayla did not notice Morgan or Mallory or the wolves. No. No, instead, she slowly crouched down next to the body, and gently lay her father's head in her lap. She brushed the hair out of his face, and with two fingers, gently closed his eyes. As her chest shuddered, fighting back sobs, she whispered with a forced smile.

"You can rest now."

“Shhh. Shhh, babe... shhh...” It was nonsense shushing, comforting noise as her hands placed themselves restlessly on his shoulders, his back, his hair. She held him to her shoulder and looked around. He was wet with blood. He needed help.

She cracked her lips to speak to Kayla, but saw her tending to the body... and understood that the remains of the man Morgan wept for were in good hands already. Her question answered before she could ask it.

“I can take you to Riverwatch — to me and Eri’s — okay?”

"Where's Featherston?"

Kayla didn't look up when she asked the question, though her voice was raised, now.

He sniffled, and nodded to Mallory, barely hearing the question, though it did register. He seemed to be parsing through his own clouded mind, eyes dully looking to the ground. "I killed him. I killed him. He's dead, and I killed him." He pointed shakily to the hole in the cabin, past it, to the river, then dropped his arm limply. Quietly, he added. "I wanna go. I wanna go. Everything is sticky, I wanna go..." He started murmuring, wiping bloody hands on fabric soaked, unable to properly clean them.

Kayla followed where he was pointing, looking out the two holes and towards that river.

Whatever she saw there, she said nothing. She simply blinked, and looked back down to her father.

“I need to go.” She did not know who Kayla was, still, but she would explain that much. She stilled Morgan’s hands quietly, and smiled down at him. Achingly. Then she tensed her left hand as she drew her right arm around his shoulders—

—and they disappeared in a crimson flash.

The wolves fanned out, sniffing along the ground and at the air; but eventually they, too, were called home.

When that crimson light flashed, and she was finally alone with him, she broke. She closed her eyes, as loud, heavy sobs came through, and soon, she was wailing. Screaming at the sky as she held the body of her dad.

She'd told him she loved him.

Return to “Beyond the Gates (shared)”