Embers

Seek the places where light meets dark, there you will find tales of inexplicably intertwined realms both near and far.

Moderators: King, Claire Gallows, Cooper Gallows

Addie
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: Embers

Post by Addie »

August 2nd, 2018

It had been readily obvious what the newlywed couple were supposed to do when sequestered away in their tent and, despite the din of the celebration rekindled back within the heart of the Dun, the young lovers weren't the type to disappoint. They rejoined the evening festivities some time later, disheveled, scantily dressed, and grinning shamelessly at the head of table the boast the best wedding repast the Clan had to offer. The alcohol flowed more and more with every toast, the singing growing louder, and the laughter mingling with the joyous heat of music and dance. At one point, during the height of the night, Romeo had leapt onto the table, fiddle in hand and with Addie and her guitar not far behind to thank their hosts with songs of their own. It left the two lovers grinning and sweating all over again, before they were swept back into the twirling, footstomping, leaping mania of it all. The party didn't truly wind down until nearly dawn, with less than half of the attendees remaining before they all stumbled off to bed.

Ro and Addie had returned to their tent after a short, meaningful stop at the altar in the nemed for something a little more private and personal. Half the afternoon was lost by the time they woke up in a pleasant tangle, stealing a little more of the heat of love before dragging themselves to the bathhouse. Their remaining few days were filled with the celebration of the beginning of the harvest season and the Masters MacKenzies, as much as the both of them could stand and more. For the big blonde bruiser it came easy and with the knowledge that the moments, precious as they were, were fleeting. The time ticked away faster that he wanted.

As their week wound down and the end of their time came to an end, Addie knew it would hard to say goodbye, and not just for Ro. In a short handful of days, she had found something that she had only barely managed to cobble together from bits and pieces back home; a family. They, the Masters and the entire MacKenzie clan alike, had welcomed her with open arms. They had given her what they could in hospitality, kindness, and food and drink and Addie wasn't quite ready to say goodbye. The night before they were poised to leave, the Jug 'n' Loaf played host to a late night of talking and laughing, eating and drinking, the whole family settled around a big table, shoulder to shoulder so that they would all fit.

"And I swear to the gods as my witness, there must have been fifty thousand tickets when all was said and done. The prize he won with it all wouldn't even fit on the way home, we had to strap it to the roof with bungee cords." She wrapped up another true story about her beau, sharing bits and pieces of the time the Masters-MacKenzies had missed in trade for snippets of his childhood. Her gaze slid to the blonde bruiser, her smile fond and her eyes sparkling. "It takes up a solid corner of my bedroom."

"Pretty soon," Ro told them and made a show of grimacing, "the girl's gonna need a whole room just for her stuffies. But I guess you've seen her smile, and when she does, I just can't tell my acushla no to anything in the world. It's the second best thing she does with her mouth." A cry of scandal went up for that (though it was mostly feigned, save for Roland nearly falling out of his seat with laughter), but the blonde bruiser was quick to throw up his hands and pacify the mob of playfully indignant women. "The best bein' her kisses, of course?"

Maybe they wouldn't notice the side-eye he gave his wife.

Through her laughter, she swatted and pushed at her new husband's shoulder before burying her face against it with a giggle and a shake of her head. "Incorrigible, Romeo, incorrigible. But he's not wrong. About the plushies, that is. There's plenty of room in the house currently, but depending on Michi and Yasmin, that could change one way or the other. I figure it's almost a given that they'll end up together long term, if one of 'em just bucks up and makes the leap, you know? If Mich moves out, then I think we'd likely stay where we are... but we can always look at somethin' down the line for the two of us and Fred."

"Everything'll happen in its time." The smile and words were panned across to his family, but his hand was making a gentle claim on Addie's. "Right now, I'm just enjoyin' what I have. Her. You guys. Everything else is just extra gravy." The smile wavered slightly as he was reminded what tomorrow was to bring, causing him to draw in a deep breath. "And we're gonna try to make it back as often as we can, however we can do it."

"It's been a lovely week..." She agreed softly, her hand slipping into his for a soothing squeeze. The coming morning would bring plenty of heartache but still she nodded in unison with Ro's remark. "It's worth the expenditure. I... I can't guarantee how often, but provided tomorrow we have no issues, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to come back. When that time comes, is there anything you'd like us to bring?"

Please don't say grandchildren, please don't say grandchildren, please don't say grandchildren.

"A workin' television?" It was Roland who spoke, quickly cutting off Juliet from likely saying exactly what Addie feared. Clearly, the older man was joking and Ro made a comical face at him. He smothered a chuckle into his wife's palm as he kissed it, then turned his attention back to the Masters MacKenzies.

"I can think of a few things the older folks might enjoy that wouldn't come to pieces with whatever the Change has wrought. I'll keep them in mind for the return trip. Maybe we can try for Yule; if not then, Beltane. One way or another, we'll find our way back. The both of us."

"I mean, I could print off your favorite flicks and make a flip book out of it." She offered with a wry smile for her father-in-law. That said, she felt back joking about it, if only because they were going back to a world where they had all of that and more. Technology, even Terran tech, had come so far in the past twenty years, it was crazy to think that the MacKenzies would never know what it was like. Making a mental note to have a more in depth discussion with Quinten when they got back, she offered another little nod of agreement with Ro. "Ro's told me so much about Beltane here. Rhy'din's got our own celebration... but it's mostly alcohol and fire and alcohol, you know? Not as meaningful."

"Like it was before the change." Juliet nodded. "Just an excuse for part-time pagans to drink to much and sleep with whoever was handy in the moment. I think you should come home for Beltane. It would be a lovely experience for you, along with every other holiday here." She grinned and it took years off of her expression.

"That sounds about right." Her smile slid Juliet's way before she looked up to Ro with a tilt of her head. It had always felt odd imposing on the Wyatts for the holidays, even if Raven was technically blood. It just felt like... she was messing up things for her younger self and the last thing she wanted to do was make little Addie's life any harder than it had to be. The little girl had a chance for something normal, her older counterpart intended to protect that. "If it's possible, we could definitely see about it, yeah? No objections from the Mister?"

"No objections." He gave a big lopsided smile, kissing her hand again before turning a more somber look on the assembled family. "We'll do everything we can to be here as much as possible, but..." And then Ro sighed. "We've got an early day ahead of us. Might be that we should all turn in and rest up. Gonna be a long goodbye tomorrow..."

"Loathe as I am to disagree, you're unfortunately right." She gave him a devastating pout, but leaned over to peck his cheek gently before easing her chair back from the table. From there it was a matter of a plenty long goodbye with many hugs and kisses and more hugs after that before the little clan dispersed to their individual rooms for the night. It was there that Addie joined Ro in bed, dressed down for the night and yawning into his neck as she mumbled. "I don't wanna go..."

"I don't want to either." He had settled onto their small bed a few minutes before her, slipping his arms tight around her and holding on tight. "It... brings a lot of things back and... man, I never thought I'd get to have all o' this again. But you are my home now, and right now your life is in Rhy'din, which means mine's there too."

One arm wrapped around his broad torso, her fingers grazing lightly up and down along his oblique. A little nod bobbed her head, her cheek turning just enough to nuzzle against his jaw. "Y' don't think they'd want to come with us, if such a thing is possible, do you?"

"Maybe." He shrugged a broad shoulder. "I dunno. My sisters haven't ever really known another life, least Moira and Meera can barely remember the time before the Change. Da might, he was a cowan before the Change and loved his tech, but Ma was always of the Old Religion so... maybe it's somethin' to think on and look into. We've got time to consider it."

"Other than the whole... cars and tech and electricity... Rhydin isn't so weird." She was fading fast, long since out of steam after an eventful week. "I bet they'd like Amberhelm... but I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to go. Maybe they can come visit sometime... 'm gonna talk to Quinten 'bout it after we get home. With your blessing of course... it's your fam."

"They're your fam now too, Pizza Girl. You're a MacKenzie now." He teased a kiss to her ear, murmuring. "But we can talk about it. Talk to Quinten. It's not like there's a rush. They're out of danger from the sound of things and we've got a little wedded bliss to enjoy, just you and me. But if the options there... I'd definitely like to know."

"Plenty of time to figure it out... I just... I haven't seen you this happy before, I wanna give this to you as much as I can." She mumbled against his skin. Another sleepy little yawn was stifled, just barely, before she kissed his neck, his jaw, his cheek, and finally his lips for a long sweet moment before withdrawing to settle in against him. "But for now... sleep."
Addie
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: Embers

Post by Addie »

August 3rd, 2018

The first light of dawn had yet to crack over the Cascades when Romeo and Addie had gathered with a select few outside the gates of Dun Juniper to say their goodbyes. There were tears and laughter, shoving and hugs (the newly minted Addie Masters MacKenzie rivaled her handfasted man for how many she received), mumbled fondness and promises that would have to be kept. The big blonde bruiser had been given his first taste of home in over a decade and be in the seed of nostalgia or one of addiction, it all but guaranteed that a way would be found to come back someday. In a moment of mischievous charity, Ro produced a box from a previously hidden cooler bag and held it up if offering to Juniper MacKenzie and his parents. As oldsters, it only took a few blinking moments for them to understand.

The box itself was sealed cardboard in a glossy chocolate brown but it was the logo on the side that drew a collective gasp from those who had been adults before the Change. The image was a slanted rectangle of red-ring white, its bold blue letters very firmly stating the word 'SNICKERS' across the field. At the top right corner on one of the box's walls, a bold white '48' marked the number of candy bars on the box. It was every bit worth the wave of nostalgia that brought smiles to their faces, earning another round of hugs and blessings before he was finally released.

Somehow, some way, they left with less than they arrived with. Romeo's pre-planning and shopping had paid off in droves, offering more than just the candy in the form of far more practical sundries. But the Snickers? Those were worth the smiles if only because it was a (literally) sweet way to remember them both. Once they finally let him go, it was Addie's turn once more to be swept up in hugs and kisses and promises to return. Quinten would likely give her one hell of a look when she returned but it would be worth it if this was the reaction next time they came back. Addie couldn't remember a time Romeo had been happier. When it was finally her turn to be released, she stepped back and slipped an arm around Ro's waist, leaning her head to his shoulder. They had to go, time was running out whether they liked it or not... A lift of her chin brought her gaze up to Romeo's profile. "Time check?"

"Time to go." He answered her with a smile but there was already a wistful touch to it, a mouthful of sadness that denied him further words. Instead, he waved one last time to the others, caught a kiss blown by his mother, and then turned them towards the road east. The reins for his horse and the packhorse were held loosely in one hand, the other arm around Addie as they started the final leg of their journey. Romeo drank in their surroundings as they went, recommitting certain things to memory and filing newer ones away. His expression cursed whatever it was that caused the Change, denying him the use of a camera so that all the more memories could be taken home with them.

"We'll see you soon, I promise." It was as good as the vows she had given Ro the night they had been handfasted and with that, she let Ro lead the way. It wasn't far and truly not necessarily to make it back to Rhydin based on what Quinten had said which helped. But she wasn't sure how they would take them simply disappearing before their eyes or if it would be particularly traumatizing to do so. It was likely better to be a little bit further away when they made their final departure. For a few moments she gave Romeo his silence, plenty of time to commit it all. When she broke it, she did so with a gentle nudge of her hip to his. "You doin' alright?"

"Yeah," he replied with a sidelong smile and a squeeze of her opposite hip. "Just gonna miss them as all. If they didn't already have their lives so firmly established here, I'd steal them away to Rhy'din... or I'd find away. But this is their home. Mine's wherever you are. We'll be back."

"Wouldn't that be nice?" She said softly, managing to lean up on her toes even as they walked to brush a fleeting kiss to his jaw. The motion gave her ample opportunity to glance over her shoulder as Dun Juniper began to fade beyond the thickening trees. "I've already got a few ideas for what to talk to Quinten about. I'd... I'd like to see if it might be viable for them to visit, you know? Even if it's short like our visit here... would that... would that be okay?"

"You know," he mumbled as she drew back from the kiss. "You keep bein' this amazin', you'll never get rid of me. You know that, right?" It was enough to make him pause beneath the rise, Dun Juniper all but gone as he gathered her up in his arms to kiss her right and proper, one of those ones that lasted a little too long to be anything but perfect. Ro was smiling against her lips when he withdrew. "I think you know the answer, acushla."

"Wellllllll, baby, I hate to tell you... but that little thing we did in front of all those people? It means you can't get rid of me now. I'm officially like stripper glitter." It was good for a grin against his lips. Already she could feel the shift the aether around them, their departure looming imminently. "It would be a pretty big culture shock... for your sisters especially but to a point your parents too... but I'm gonna see what we can do. They're mine now too, you know."

"Glitter is like herpes. You're not like herpes. I'll settle for makin' you my personal forever stripper, though." He dropped a kiss to the side of her neck and hugged her tighter, content to linger in the embrace as they talked. All things considered, might wanna think baby steps. Let's get back here a few times first. It's a nice break from Rhy'din. There's more for you to see... then we'll see about a little field trip the other way..."

"Well you still aren't getting rid of me." She countered, tilting her head to one side. "Baby steps... right... I'm just... all of this kinda got me thinking about what the future holds. We've got so much ahead of us and... having a family, a real family like this? It's..." Sigh. A happy one. "It's more than I could've asked for. I always wanted a sister, you know? Michi and Miz are like my sisters... but I know when it comes down to it, they've got their own things and their own fam and such... I just... yeah. You know."

"Got our whole lives ahead of us, Addie," he told her with another gentler kiss. "And plenty enough time to decide what we want to do with them. I'd say, all things considered, between Miz and Mich and your ma and Henry and what we've got here, we're goin' pretty alright. Nothin' to do now but to build on it."

"It's a good foundation, isn't it?" Though her mouth was busy with his, her senses were on high alert, giving her a slight head start when a whole different Change occurred. Her arms slipped around him fully, holding tight though it shouldn't have been needed. "Hold on to the horses, yeah? We've got... I'd say a minute and a half. You wanna kiss me again?"

"It is and... yes I do. Since it's the only thing worth doin' right now that we can do in ninety seconds or less." His grip on the reins tightened in his left hand, his right arm tightening around her. The kiss he pressed to her lips was every bit as fervent as the one on their wedding night. Practice always makes perfect.

Perfection wasn't quite a good enough word for what it was when his lips met hers. Call it the jump from Earth to Rhydin, but she nearly felt her knees give and by the time she steady, she was giggly and flushed in the cheeks, her fingers curled tight into the back of his shirt. Earth faded and in its place was Rhydin, the very spot upon which they had departed a week prior, awash in an azure glow that ebbed as reality became more... well, real. Even then she kissed him, soft and slow until a deep clearing of a throat behind them called her attention away from his mouth.

"You're both in one piece, I trust?" Quinten was there to meet them, expectant in the once over he gave them both. It left Addie grinning like a schoolgirl, glancing up to her newly minted husband and back to her grandfather.

"No problems at all... it was... everything we could have hoped for and more."

The whole reality shifting was almost as unsettling as it had been the first time, but it was easier with the distraction she provided. The taste, the smell, and the feel, it stole the queasiness away, with the kiss that followed threatening to coax the pair into repeating one or more of the escapades from earlier in their relationship. Well, until Quinten ruined the moment. Addie grinned and Ro laughed, turning a big lopsided smile on the older man.

"I don't think I could have asked for a better vacation..."

Their answers seemed to visibly relieve the man, the tension bleeding out of his shoulders with an exhale. "Vacation... experiment... I'm glad it proved positive either way. Surely the two of you wouldn't mind debriefing me on your week? I know that... your mother," his gaze rested on Addie with an almost uncomfortable shift, "has been eagerly awaiting your return and would like to hear about it as well."

"Well..." She was about to answer him when he threw in the two bits about Raven. Her brows lifted and she looked up to Ro. "Whatcha think babe? You up for it?"

"Tell you what," Romeo drawled and cracked a deep yawn. "If you can spare me and Addie enough time to get a proper shower and some real caffeine in us, I don't see much wrong with us all getting together to have a chat about our trip. Pretty sure there's a few things each of you will be interested in or excited about. Sound good?"

"I suppose I'm amenable to that." Quinten nodded after a moment before gesturing the way he had come from and the way they had taken to arrive there a week earlier. Addie clapped her hands and let out a little laugh.

"Yes, caffeine. Real caffeine. And a real shower. Let's say... mom's in an hour?" She offered, trading looks between her beau and the Youngblood Patriarch. The latter nodded once more.

"An hour then. I trust that you'll be fine getting back from here?" It was rhetorical at best if only because he was gone a moment later, nothing more than a voice on the wind. It left Addie grinning back up at Ro.

"What can we do with an hour?"

"How about tw-- damn." Quinten was gone before Romeo could offer his counter proposal. "That's not nearly enough time."

He began tugging Addie in the direction of home with a determined looks. "Dude clearly doesn't know what we do in the shower..."

Return to “Through the Never”