Secrets of the Hall

Faerie tales from beyond the veil to the streets of RhyDin

Moderators: Bailey Raptis, JewellRavenlock

Luka Gaumond
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Secrets of the Hall

Post by Luka Gaumond »

A sixty minute drive to the north of New Haven, in a valley hugged by foothills to the south and the great mountains to the north, lay the little village of Fairfield. It was one of those villages that had slowly embraced technology but not allowed it to disturb its charm. Shops still lined narrow cobblestone streets, gas lanterns lit the town at night, and strangers were a rare sight.

For centuries, the crowning jewel of Fairfield had been the nearby country estate, Gaumond Hall.

Billie Tamblyn stepped out of her comfortable home in the gatehouse to look down the long drive towards the grand estate. In the gray morning light, the grand home's slate roof stood in contrast to the layer of snow that blanketed the surrounding world, including the vast mountainscape that towered behind it. In the years past when the house was in residence, the curling dual stairs that led to the massive oak front doors would have been swept free of snow already in spite of the early hour. Now, however, there was no one to sweep them for. The house stood lonely in the cold landscape.

It was home to Billie even though she had never been anything more here than staff. She had been born in the village to a maid and a groom of Gaumond Hall and then she herself had served as a lady’s maid, a nanny, a companion. Now…? What was she exactly? Luka paid her to ‘look after’ Gaumond Hall but there was nothing she could do. It was falling apart.

Suddenly Billie was not alone.

She didn’t need to look over to who was now standing beside her. The Uremi had visited her often enough in the past. Billie’s hands sunk deeper into the side pockets of her coat and she drew her shoulders up to bury her chin in the warmth of her coat as well. Her short spiky gray hair was hidden under a knit hat. The wild fae beside her with the windswept red locks never wore a coat and never appeared particularly cold.

“He needs to come back here,” Tsarra’s stern voice broke the quiet.

Billie exhaled heavily. “Do you think I have not tried, Tsarra? The enchantment on the house causes it to decline when a Gaumond is not living here. If he does not come back soon then I fear the house may begin to structurally decompose.”

Snowflakes swirled about them. It almost seemed that the snow became wilder and more spirited around Tsarra. In these moments, when the Uremi was quiet and only nature was reacting to her, Billie sometimes felt her moniker of ‘Tsarra the Bad’ was unfair. But then Tsarra would open her mouth and Billie would remember why she had been referred to in that way by humans for as long as anyone could remember.

Eventually, Tsarra spoke, interrupting the silence. “Neither of the idiots will survive without the protection of Gaumond Hall.”

It was a dire prediction that shook terror into Billie. This wasn’t a game. It was a sacrifice, it was service. Her temper flared and she turned her gaze on Tsarra. “You never told me there was another. Had you told me I would have--”

“What?” Tsarra asked sharply, her green eyes digging deep holes into Billie’s soul. “You would have rushed in and stolen her from her people? From her culture? From the gifts she needed to learn from them? A childless woman stealing the babe from another’s arms?”

Billie straightened her stance, lifting her chin defiantly. “Then later when she was older. She’s clearly been hurt.”

There were grown men that could not look Tsarra in the eyes. The green flecked with gold swept of fire and brimstone and pain. Billie willed herself not to lose eye contact and she thought, perhaps, there was a flicker of Tsarra’s brow, respecting that eye contact, respecting Billie’s courage. Her voice, though, was no less sharp. “The strongest steel is forged in the fires of hell. You know that better than most.”

The reminder ached in her chest and she had to look away for fear of sobbing. Billie’s eyes swept to the grand hall, drinking in the great windows and remembering what life had been like when Luka was little. She had been young then -- a young nanny running those halls after her charge. They had been the best days of her life.

“I will deal with returning Luka to Gaumond Hall,” Tsarra said decidedly.

When Billie’s eyes swept back to Tsarra to ask how she planned on completing such an impossible task, the space Tsarra had occupied seconds before was filled only with snow.
Luka Gaumond
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Re: Secrets of the Hall

Post by Luka Gaumond »

New Haven was awash in holiday spirit with its usual ritzy, monied touch. Paradeen Garden Park across the street from Luka’s New Haven apartment building had wreaths hung on every lamppost and vendors selling hot chocolate and cinnamon sticks. There were strings of lights everywhere. A pair of illuminated angels blew gold trumpets over a set of fountains in front of a massive Christmas tree. Carolers were set up in the pavilion and children were singing along.

Any year in the past, Luka Gaumond had wanted nothing to do with such a scene. But this year he had fresh eyes. Every ounce of joy on Mina’s face as she soaked in the scene was pure joy for him. He enjoyed, he realized, the simple pleasure of seeing her happy. Thus, they had spent the evening, strolling the park and taking in the sights. She asked questions and he explained Christmas and his faith while also sharing what he knew about the various other cultural winter holidays that were celebrated in Rhydin this time of year.

Eventually, though, even the hot chocolate wasn’t enough to keep them warm. The fire in the apartment beckoned and they headed back across the street to the lobby and then the elevator that would take them to the apartment building’s top floor.

“I wish they kept the little electric lights up all year round,” Mina exclaimed, her cheeks rosy from being out in the cold and her smile brilliant, touched by Christmas cheer. She unwound her scarf from her neck and shrugged out of her coat with Luka’s gallant help. “They just make the night so much more friendly, but they don’t obscure the stars like all the other lights do.”

Luka was kept from replying by a loud POP!

They turned around, her coat dropping from his hands, to find a little fae standing in the middle of the living area. He was less than two feet tall, hardly menacing except for a wide mouth on his elfin face full of very sharp teeth and big, black, pupilless eyes. He had a hat settled between two large, pointy ears to go with the miniature santa costume he was wearing.

The creature turned about in a full circle before spotting them. He looked Luka up-and-down first before dismissing him with a slight sneer and turning to Mina. “Ahah! You have the look of a Champion.” And with that, he threw himself at Mina’s feet, clinging to her ankles even as she attempted to leap back, startled. “My lady Champion! Please please! You must help me!”

“Get the hell off of her,” Luka demanded as he stripped off his coat, tossing it aside to step closer. The little fae didn’t seem to be a threat but the sheer surprise of finding him in the apartment throwing himself at Mina had Luka’s heart pounding.

“Oh please don’t yell at him, Luka! He’s just a scared little guy,” Mina implored at the same moment as the fae looked back at Luka and actually hissed, “I wasn’t talking to you, servant. I was speaking to the great Champion of the fae. Whose beauty and magnanimity is already known far and wide!” He did let Mina go, but groveled at her feet instead, which only seemed to fluster her more. “I seek your help, Champion. My mistress is a wicked, bad lady and if I do not deliver to her the relic she desires, she will… I will…” suddenly the creature started to wail, “I will be a slave to her forever!”

The situation was so bizarre that Luka did come up short, staring at Mina and the little fae fawning over her. “No. No, Mina. I’m enjoying my Christmas right here. Send him away.”

It was a lost cause as Mina knelt down and embraced the little fae, looking up at Luka reproachfully. “But he needs us!”

“Not him,” the fae sniffed.

“Yes him. He is a Champion too. You need us both,” she scolded the creature. “Be nice or I will not help you either.” She even made a show of pushing him away.

The creature only wailed louder, “No no no! You must help Meego! He needs you! He needs both Champions. Please do not leave him to his fate!”

Mina looked up at Luka over the creature’s head, embracing him again, with a look that said, Well?

Luka tried to meet Mina’s look with a blank expression but his hold out was pathetically short. “Fine. Fine. But we will be home for Christmas.”
Luka Gaumond
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Luka Gaumond »

The next morning, they were in the car, heading north out of the city. “Well how was I supposed to know he would ask for something so unreasonable? We couldn't just not help him, but I thought he was going to ask for like… I don't know. I guess I didn't really think,” she admitted bashfully.

“Yes, we could have done just that. We could have not helped him,” Luka replied, cutting a glance from the road over to Mina. He tried to limit the number of times he did that. She was a distraction. Such a distraction. “The Arndale Caves? The local townspeople refuse to step foot within them.” The location, though, was all that the little fae would tell Luka. The object of interest had been whispered to Mina. That made him even more nervous. “Are you going to tell me what we’re looking for?”

“It's a necklace,” she responded in a bit of a huff, like she didn't quite see what the big deal was. She couldn't maintain her exasperation though when she admitted after another beat, “From the tomb of Lady Arndale the First.” Yes, she had turned them into grave robbers and had the grace to even blush a little.

Luka’s fingers tightened around the steering wheel. It was snowing again as they headed north from New Haven towards the caves. He focused on keeping his tone calm. “Do you know who Lady Arndale was?”

She chewed on the inside of her cheek, perceiving that he was more upset than he let on, but unwilling to back down just yet. “Of course not. Why does it matter?”

“Lady Arndale lived five centuries ago and was one of the most dangerous and influential witches of her day. All the research I’ve ever read suggests that no one knows where her final resting place is. If she is buried within the Arndale Caves then it makes sense why none of the locals will step foot in the caves. I can’t imagine that she was buried without protective rituals.” Luka could sound calm as long as he concentrated on the academic nature of the conversation. He tried not to allow his mind to slip into considering why he’d allowed her to convince him to drive her to such a dangerous place.

Her concentration was completely on the task ahead and the man driving. She didn't like watching the road. “Okay, so protective rituals… no big deal, right? Better than hell hounds. So we'll break through them, go in there, get the necklace, and go home.”

“Mina,” he replied with exasperation heavy in his tone. “The protection rituals would be against those who would dare disturb her grave. We are on our way to steal a necklace from the grand dead witch herself.”

She huffed a sigh, “Well I don't see what other choice we have now. We'll just figure it out when we get there. Maybe it won't be so bad anyway. Time can decay such rituals, and for all you know, you're making a big deal about nothing.”

“At some point today, I’m going to remind you that you said that,” he murmured under his breath.
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

The snow was falling heavily as they stood outside the cave, and even Mina, used to the cold and deep, drifting snow of the mountains, shivered a little as they looked into the mouth of Lady Arndale’s tomb. “Do we just walk right in, you think?” Mina looked up at Luka, unsure.

He pulled his scarf off to wrap it around Mina. He didn’t see her shiver so much as he felt it. That was something he was going to have to figure out later. He cut a glance towards the opening of the cave that the fae had directed them to enter.

In the summer this area was lush with green trees and thick undergrowth. Now, though, the trees were barren and the ground was covered in a thick blanket of snow. Icicles hung from the opening of the cave like a set of sharp, uneven teeth. Nothing about this place felt inviting. The feel of it swirled in his gut anxiously.

“Yes,” he replied, reaching for her hand with his as he took a step forward. “I think we walk right in.”

She squeezed his hand in response, not realizing that his anxiety was feeding her own as they stepped together into the darkness. It was thick and seemed to close in behind them with every step until it was all around them: impenetrable and menacing. Mina drew closer to Luka, slowing down as it was impossible to see their way forward. “I don’t think we should go any further without light.”

“Listen,” he replied quietly, lifting his free hand outstretched before them. He could feel the power from her pulsing through his hand and he fed off of it. “Leoht.” The orbs of light he’d created in the past were no bigger than an orange. This one, fed by their combined power, was the size of a cantaloupe.

“You can do it too,” Luka encouraged gently, confident in the thought.

She seemed less certain, hesitantly raising her hand up and putting her trust in his faith in her as she repeated after him: “Leoht.” A light flickered to life in the palm of her hand, small at first but increasing in size and brightness in her excitement and illuminating the smile she flashed at Luka.

Both smile and excitement extinguished when their combined spellwork revealed a myriad of eyes collecting further down the tunnel and coming towards them at the same moment as a wave of dark magic rippled through the cave, smothering their lights and leaving them blind to face their enemies.

“Spiders,” Mina whispered, horrified. She immediately let go of Luka’s hand so she could dig around in her small bag. “I need light again!”

Luka breathed in a sharp breath. He’d never been particularly afraid of spiders but that was an alarming number of very large spiders. His hands lifted together and he concentrated on the glow of light as he murmured the spell again. “Leoht.”

His orb was strong and unwavering this time. The force that pushed back to extinguish it was fierce but he had the power of Mina beside him in combination with his own. This time he fought. But the light meant he also saw the spiders again as the moved towards him. “They’re the size of house cats,” he murmured in shock.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got this. I’ve got this.” For some reason, her empty reassurances meant for him worked on her and reduced the shaking of her hands as she dug through her bag. She only dropped two vials to shatter onto the cave floor before she found what she was looking for. “I’ve got it!”

She uncorked a vial of peppermint oil, filling the area with its wholesome scent. Quickly, she sprinkled some over Luka first and then herself, halting the spiders progress momentarily. “Look! They don’t like it. How can we spray it on them?”

Brilliant. She was brilliant. Pride swelled in his chest. He shot a quick glance to her before returning his focus to the orb. “I’ll have to stop fighting whatever it is that is extinguishing the light but if you toss it in the air I will blow it out from us in all directions. On your count.”

“Okay.” She was so sure of his confidence in her, and reassured by his steadiness and strategy. There was no need to be afraid of the dark or spiders or anything. Luka was at her side. “One…” The spiders were chittering, enraged by their resistance. “Two.” Mina squeezed the bottle, cracking it in her hand. “Three.” She tossed it up into the air and held her breath.

“Forþ fleoge!” He put force behind his words, expanding his arms out in either direction. The light was extinguished and they were plunged into darkness. A sudden gust of wind expanded outward from their position, picking up the oil and rushing it towards the cavern walls in all directions. There was a scurry of legs that seemed to be going in the opposite direction.

“Perfect!” she cheered and wrapped her arms around him to hug him tight, somehow knowing where he was even in the darkness of the cave. In another moment though, she realized what she had done in her impulsiveness and released him.

His hand lingered on her back, rubbing a circle over her coat to reassure himself. She was okay, she was okay. “Maybe it won’t be so bad anyway,” he murmured quietly, mimicking her earlier phrasing.
Luka Gaumond
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Luka Gaumond »

The tomb of Lady Arndale, great witch of renown, was so vast that when they lifted the luminaries conjured into their hands up high, they still could not see the top of the cavern or the other side. What they could see was bad enough: The cavern sloped down from where they were standing to a still, underground lake. At the center of the lake was a small island where Lady Arndale was laid out on a stone bier.

And at the edge of the lake was an abomination guarding the underwater causeway to the tomb, bound to the service of the witch even in death. Cold radiated out from the creature, filling the cavern. A cold so deep that it would easily steal both breath and life from the pair if they were not together. Although its eye-sockets were empty, gaping holes, it still lifted its head and looked with a sick, wet, sniffling sound as if it could sense their presence.

Mina leaned close to Luka, tilting her head so she could whisper to him and hopefully remain unheard. “I don’t know what to do with something like that.” She didn’t even know what that was.

Its flesh had rotted off in places exposing sinew and bone. The corners of its mouth lifted in a sneer as it caught their scent. Multiple jagged rows of razor sharp teeth were exposed without any sort of order to them. Luka settled his hand against Mina’s back again. “Damn. It’s an Atropal. An undead abomination. It’s pure death and destruction. I’ve never actually seen one and I don’t have the resources with me to even consider how to kill it.

“I don’t think they speak Common.” His free hand fished in the pocket of his coat as the Atropal began to slowly creep towards them like a big cat hunting prey. Luka turned to the wall of the cave and quickly began sketching curved lines that fell in upon one another with some occasional breaks. “He’s blind but all of his other sense are heightened. He can sense vibrations. I think I may be able to trick him into thinking he’s stuck in some sort of labyrinth. It may slow him down long enough that we can get the necklace and get the hell out of here.”

Mina nodded, her heart in her throat as Luka moved even just a few steps away from her to sketch out the spell. “I know you can keep it contained while I’m going to go get that necklace.” She was eyeing the lines and angles, watching the Atropal move closer to them and trying to find the best way around it. Then she ducked down a little, ready to run, the little orb of light in her hand just enough to guide her steps. “Tell me when.”

“Go. Now,” he said firmly to Mina, briefly making eye contact with her. He wasn’t sure exactly what he wanted to portray with that look. Perhaps his confidence in her, perhaps his desire for her to stay safe, perhaps his wish that they were sitting in front of a fire playing board games. In response, she flashed him a smile: everything is going to be okay. Then she dropped over the edge into the pit and Luka’s hazel eyes moved back to the labyrinth he’d drawn in chalk on the cavern wall. He splayed the open fingers of his right before it and then pointed his left hand towards the Atropal. “Quaerite in proposito iter.”

The chalk outline glowed briefly before shadowy walls grew around the Atropal. The being roared an angry noise as it bounced off those shadow walls, trying to find the next opening. Luka concentrated on keeping the spell in place against the forces within the cave that were eager to snuff out magic.

As Luka triggered the spell, Mina moved quickly, knowing how difficult it would be to keep the Atropal from following her. She could feel the dark forces at work in the cave, trying to smother even the little light she had in her hand. “Stay lit,” she whispered to it. “You are bright and brilliant.” Her encouragement seemed to work for now, helping to maintain the steady glow as she half skidded, half ran down the embankment that ended at the water’s edge. Then she held the light aloft, locating the causeway hidden a foot or two beneath the water. Mina dashed out towards the island at the lake’s center without event a glance over her shoulder. She had no doubt that Luka would keep the beast contained.

The slick, algae covered rocks slowed her progress across the water as she slipped and fell once, managing to catch herself on hands and knees, and then a second time when she wasn’t so lucky. Her left foot went out from under her and Mina splashed loudly into the water, gripping the edge of the causeway so she did not fall into the fathomless depths of the icy lake where unknown creatures and monsters surely lurked. She sprang back up to her feet quick as possible and reignited the light in her hand. Trembling and now thoroughly soaked through, she made it to the island and scrambled up the rocky crag on which the witch’s brier was built. Breathing heavily, she held her flickering light aloft to illuminate the eerily well-preserved body of Lady Arndale as well as the heavy chain and amethyst pendant around her neck.

Without thinking or hesitating, she reached for the necklace and screamed in surprise when the corpse’s hand came up to grasp her wrist. Her light went out as she struggled to pull free of the witch while refusing to let go of the necklace, “Stay dead! Stay dead!” she shouted over and over again. The witch went oddly still long enough to allow Mina to finally tear herself away from the body, prize in hand.

She threw herself heedlessly down the rocky island, struggling to produce more than a pale, flickering light at the water’s edge as she tried to find the causeway again. “Leoht. Leoht. Leoht! Come on, damn you! Light up!” That seemed to do the trick and she found the edge of the causeway just as Lady Arndale broke through whatever had kept her still and began to descend from her bier. “Luka, I’m coming! I think she’s coming with me.” Mina tucked the necklace into her coat and ran back across the causeway, only slipping once as she breathlessly repeated to herself in a whisper, “Don’t slip, don’t slip, don’t slip.”

Concentrating on keeping the Atropal bouncing off shadowy walls taxed every limited resource Luka had. He could hear his grandmother chiding him in his head for not taking his magical training seriously. He hadn’t. He hadn’t wanted to be a Gaumond. He hadn’t wanted anything that came with it. This was the first moment he regretted that. His hand kept extended towards the Atropal but the other reached for Mina as she came closer.

“Come on, Mina. Come on. We’ve got to get out of here.”

She stumbled when she reached the edge of the lake and again as she climbed to the top of the embankment, her feet and legs frozen, but she kept going because at the top was Luka calling to her. She practically ran right into him, but found her energy renewed by even that brief contact.

“Can you keep it off us?”

Nothing was coming to mind. He exhaled heavily. There was a vibration under their feet, a distant roar that was beginning. “I don’t think so. We need to run.” He let his hand fall and the confused Atropal lulled about trying to regain its senses. The scream of, “THIEVES!” from the croaking, raspy voice of the long-dead witch only provided great impetus for their escape.

Luka’s hand slid down into Mina’s and he tugged her into a run in the direction that they had come. Light, fresh air, life. He needed to escape this cavern of death with her and find all three.
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

The bony, silk clad skeleton of Lady Arndale stopped at the mouth of the cave unable to follow. Whatever protections had woken her, kept her within the confines of the cave. Luka didn’t breathe a sigh of relief yet, though. His and Mina’s boots continued to crunch over the icy snow on the ground as they clambered towards Luka’s car.

Suddenly the Atropal appeared, shoving aside Lady Arndale’s bony form and wiggling out of the mouth of the cave. The huge, grotesque form twisted unnaturally as it shoved itself through. The spell that had kept Lady Arndale in the cave did not keep the Atropal in. He growled incomprehensible words at them as he began to follow.

Luka unlocked the car door, releasing Mina’s hand so she could run around to the passenger side of the car. “Get it, get in!”

She was barely inside, practically pulling the car door closed on her legs, as she shouted at him, “I’m in! I’m in!” It wasn’t a moment too soon as the Atropal threw itself at the car, which rocked forward under its massive weight. “Drive!”

The four wheel drive SUV was large but the impact was still enough to cause Luka’s body to lunge forward and then slam back in his seat. His foot mashed on the brake and he hit the button to start the engine, moving his foot from brake to gas. The tires slipped for lack of traction before catching and the vehicle bounded forward down the road.

Luka glanced in the rearview mirror as the SUV moved down the road. The Atropal was confused by the sudden movement and the difference in smell. He remained in place stunned for a moment before he began looping after them like a horrific four-legged dog-creature.

“Are you okay?” he asked with a glance to Mina.

“Fine,” she reassured him absently even as she shivered uncontrollably. Her eyes were locked on the side-mirror, her fears only enhanced by the little, type-written message that “objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear.” The Atropal was close enough! She did momentarily tear her attention away from the abomination closing in to the Champion at her side, “Are you?”

“Yes,” he replied, turning left onto the main road to head further north rather than turning right back towards New Haven. There was a confidence and assuredness to the way he drove on these roads. “But, perhaps, you will listen to me in the future when I warn against an escapade as too dangerous?”

“Of course, Professor Gaumond,” Mina tilted her chin up just a touch and looked at him defiantly, concern withering. While she already found herself depending on Luka’s intelligence and his ability to think clearly and to be strategic, it was also infuriating to have him always so right. “Next time, we’ll just send the poor creature on its way to be enslaved forever so that we can sit in front of the fire, safe and sound and free.”

She went on despite the fact that they were currently being chased on a snowy road by a soul-eating monster. “Even though I still don’t see what the big deal is. Everything worked out just… fine.” She tapered off as she looked in the side-view mirror and couldn’t see the creature anymore. Twisting around to kneel on the seat, she looked back. “Shit.” It wasn’t behind them anymore.

This did not seem like a good thing.

There was only one thing to do. There was only one hope. He mashed down on the gas, praying for traction over the snowy roads. “We just need a couple minutes more. Just a couple minutes,” he murmured, his fingers tightening around the steering wheel until his knuckles paled.

“Where are we going?” she craned her head around to check out the windshield as the scenery blurred past them before looking out the windows, desperately seeking a sign of the abomination.

He purposefully didn’t answer the question. “Where is the Atropal? We need to confuse it. We need to buy just a little bit of time. Roll down your window. Do you like fireworks?”

She narrowed her eyes and actually pushed him forward so she could lean behind him to look out his window before pulling back with a hiss. “No, not mine. This one,” she tapped on the sunroof urgently. “Open it, open it! It’s up there.” The road hugged a steep cliff that towered over them and she had spotted the Atropal above them, running alongside the car.

He hit the button and it began to slide open. “You say ‘Forbærne Ácwele’ with as much force as you can muster and think of fireworks. Imagine them leaping from your hands. You are the Uremi’s Champion. You can do this.”

The SUV bounced past a sign suggesting that a right turn would take them to Fairfield Village but he continued on down the road as it narrowed. A short stone wall ran on either side of the roadway as they raced forward.

“Okay, fireworks. Think fireworks,” she repeated as she stood unsteadily on the seat, her right hand on Luka’s shoulder to both steady and reassure herself as she poked her upper body out through the sunroof. She kept saying the phrase over in her head as the wind whipped at her hair wildly, waiting for the right moment.

Not yet…

The Atropal burst through the tree line and leapt towards the SUV. Mina kept her right hand on Luka, holding her left up palm forward towards the Atropal, but she waited until it was almost on top of her and the car, waited until she could feel its aura of death and an icy cold stole over her, before roaring the words of the spell at it, “Forbærne Ácwele!” Fireworks shot from her hand with a crackling boom, throwing her back into the cabin of the vehicle while the Atropal soared away from the car, badly singed and burned.

“I think…” she gasped out, “I think that worked.”

“For a moment, probably,” he replied with a relieved exhale. There before them were expansive iron gates that blocked their path. Yet, Luka did not seem to be slowing. Beyond the gates, a magnificent old house emerged standing regally at the base of the mountains. “But it will be enough.”

She winced, pushing off the console and turning around on her seat, still breathing heavily. That had taken a lot of energy even with Luka at her side. Suddenly, she leaned forward, “Luka… the gates.”

“They’ll open for me,” he reassured her as if the gates themselves had a mind of their own. He was right on that, it seemed. Almost as soon as he said the words, the gates began to open as if pulled by unseen hands. Behind them, the Atropal was looping closer again. As they passed through onto the grounds of the estate, the gates swung shut behind them.

Luka braked hard, drawing the SUV to a stop and then twisted back to watch as the Atropal threw himself against the gates at full speed. The iron withstood the impact and the air around the gates burst with color, tossing the Atropal’s giant frame like a rag doll. The beast whimpered before trying again only to meet the same fate again.

“Thank God,” he murmured under his breath as for a third time, the magic of the gates drove the Atropal back. With that third time, the beast rose with a look of confusion. It shook its horrific head and sniffed the air as if trying to remember why it was even there. Then, as if the chase of the last twenty minutes hadn’t happened at all, the Atropal turned from the gates and wandered back in the direction it had come from.

Mina, watching the Atropal turn and flee, sank low in her seat, eyes closed. Her one hand found Luka's arm, grateful that he was still there with her and that he was okay, while the other hovered over her heart as it raced wildly. Despite what she had said earlier, the chase had been harrowing. “That was close. But why did it stop?” She looked up at him. “Where are we?”

When she looked around though, she didn't really need to hear the answer he supplied.

Luka’s eyes moved from the gate to the towering manor before them and a weighty exhale slipped free of him. “This is Gaumond Hall.”
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

“Luka.”

Had it been anyone else, Luka would have ignored the voice calling his name. But it was Billie. His grandmother’s companion. His former nanny. She had taught him love. Every good and honest trait in him had been taught by Billie. He stopped at the base of the main staircase which spiraled upward. The iron banister was ensconced in garland and cream ribbon in celebration of the holiday.

Billie hurried down the stairs. Wisps of her hair fallen from a neat chignon framed her face and a frown was creased across her lips. He realized, suddenly, that she was beginning to go gray. When had that happened? She seemed far too young for that.

“I have to go back to school, Billie. I cannot stand being in the same house with that man,” Luka hissed under his breath.

Her sharp look told him to keep his voice low. There was always staff wandering the halls. She stopped two stairs from the bottom so she had a height advantage from where he stood at the base of the staircase. “It is Christmas and that man is your father, Luka, and while you may think at the grand age of eighteen you have the world figured out what--”

“I certainly do not think I have the world figured out but I cannot put up with another minute of him.” There was a hesitation before Luka dropped his voice even lower, a pleading quality taking hold. “Why are you still here, Billie? Leave. Just leave.”

The comment caused Billie’s bottom jaw to harden and her shoulders to square. “You have no idea what you are asking of me.”

“Of course I don’t because you tell me nothing,” Luka replied in a low growl of frustration. He turned on his heels to head for the door.

Her voice lifted as he walked away, his boots echoing through the entry hall. This time, though, he did not turn around. “Luka. Luka, don’t do this.”

“Luka… Luka!” Mina called to him, increasingly concerned. When he finally focused on her, she smiled in relief but then made her request again: “Can we go in? I'm a little cold.” She was really more than cold, she was freezing. As the adrenaline of the fight and flight wore off, Mina found herself huddling in the front seat of the SUV, soaked, shivering, and exhausted.

Her voice finally ripped him from the memories and he cleared his throat. “Right. Of course. I’m so sorry. Let’s get you inside and see what state the house is in.”

“It looks lovely,” she insisted. And old and broken, but she didn’t add those parts. She’d seen old crumbling castles and estates high in the mountains where she was from. Gaumond Hall wasn’t so different.

Once Mina got out of the SUV, she rubbed her hands together to try and get some warmth back into them before offering one out to him, somehow knowing that he was conflicted about being here. “I think I ruined your scarf,” she offered as a means to distraction. He had wrapped it so nicely around her earlier, but now it was soaking wet like everything else and limp around her neck.

Her hand was taken and he tucked their combined hands into his coat pocket for warmth as they moved for the snow covered front steps. The scarf was so far from his mind. “Did you see what happened? It looked like it forgot even why it was after us.”

“It felt like strong, old magic.” Mina glanced around them as they crunched up the snow covered stairs to the front door, “This whole place does, Luka. And even though I know Lady Arndale and that thing are still out there… I don’t know. It doesn’t seem to matter here.”

“Gaumond Hall is very old, strong magic,” he murmured reluctantly. He lifted his free hand to lay it against the door. The hinges creaked and yielded to him. The double doors opened to allow them entry. “It begins to fall into rapid decline when a Gaumond is not in residence.”

“And none of your family live here now?” It was an easy conclusion to reach after just a brief glance around.

“No. My parents have passed. I am the master of Gaumond Hall and I chose not to live here,” he replied. Chose. It was a decision in the past. He wasn’t sure he would continue to make that choice. Mina was safer here than in an apartment in New Haven.

The doors swept shut behind them and he guided her further in. The furniture was covered, the flooring had water damage, paint was peeling. It looked like no one had lived here in fifty years, not five.

It was in Mina’s nature as a healer to get to the source of the issue, to keep pushing until the wound was exposed in order that it could be addressed and healed. But she let Luka off the hook for now, not questioning his decision to live in a little apartment in New Haven instead of this grand estate. Even in decline, it was enough to make her marvel and gape, looking around at everything in wonderment. She finally gasped out in a whisper, trying not to break the spell upon the place, “Oh Luka, it’s like a…”

“Castle from a fairy tale,” Saria agreed. She emerged from a doorway, looking like a Christmas dream in a red gown trimmed with white fur.

“My lady!” Mina immediately went to kneel, awkwardly pulling her hand joined with Luka’s down with her, but it was stuck in his pocket and he didn’t seem eager to give it up. “Luka,” she hissed at him.

The fae’s laughter filled the empty halls, bringing with it a warmth unknown to them in years. “Rise, dear one. I have come today not as your goddess but as a friend, bearing a gift for both my hard working Champions.”

Luka was not kneeling and he did try to keep Mina on her feet as well. Goddesses. It made him nervous that Mina put the troublesome trio of fae on a pedestal. “Fae gifts come with strings attached. It’s how I wound up your champion in the first place.”

Mina stood, though reluctantly, and looked aghast at Luka at his response. Saria only smiled. “Yes, very true my young Champion. But was that not too a gift in its own way? Or would you prefer your friend act as our Champion alone so that you could be free of such… strings?” She did not wait for his response. The fae knew the answer. She could read it in the sudden paleness of their faces and the way Mina instinctively drew closer to him less he disappear. “But since you are wary, I will let you in on a secret.”

Saria leaned in towards the pair, her smile taking on an impish quality not normally seen on the good fae of fate. “The suspected strings attached to this gift are two-fold, dear Luka. A thank you and an incentive. I am so thankful that you are both here, safe and sound, and wish for you to remain so as trouble and danger increase.” She spread her hands out, “There now. Will you accept my gift, Luka? I know sweet Mina will without question.”

Luka’s fingers tightened around Mina’s hand in a sharp squeeze to reassure himself. She was safe here. She was safe here. Nothing else mattered. “We will accept the gift.” The Uremi didn’t get to speak for Mina. She had her own voice. Though, he knew what her answer would be.

The stunning fae simply smiled lovingly once more, understanding the unspoken statement in his acceptance. Then she brought her hands together in front of her, pressing them palm to palm, before opening them like a lotus flower now filled with a shimmering, gold dust. “Undo the past, make it fine, restore this place to another time.”

A wind whipped through the hall, picking up and scattering the powder from Saria’s hands. Everywhere it touched, time receded and the estate went through a rapid restoration: dust disappeared, furniture straightened itself, walls were repaired, and damage was undone. The improvements spread until the entire building was sparkling like the day it first opened with the arrival of the original Gaumonds. There was more though: bells and ribbon; illuminated angels and artfully decorated Christmas trees; bows, presents, and mistletoe. Roaring fires crackled in a hundred hearths, and soft lamps and chandeliers mimicked the magic of candlelight.

“For you, my dearest ones. Let the present wash out the past. Rest. Rejoice. Now is a time for rejuvenation and thanksgiving.”

With one more puff of golden dust, Saria was gone.

Mina looked up at Luka, her hand still tucked safely within his own. “Luka… I think she made it so we’d be home for Christmas.”
Mina
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Mina »

After a rather emotional few days and taking a break for Christmas, Mina and Luka were back on the job. She had assured him that she knew where to find the little house fae named Meego in order to deliver the necklace stolen from Lady Arndale’s tomb to him, but when the directions brought them to a busy pizza parlor in Old Market, she felt a little taken in. “I think this is the right place…” She cast a glance aside at Luka and then repeated with more surety, “This is the right place. We’re supposed to just go inside and ask for him.”

Luka has followed along with Mina without complaint. A walk through Old Market with her wasn’t a bad way to spend an afternoon but their destination caused him to lift a brow. “Inside the pizza parlor?”

“That’s what he said,” she responded a tad defensively. Mina still felt guilty for dragging him through the whole adventure in the first place. “Maybe he’s enslaved to the owner?” Stranger things had happened in RhyDin! “We’ll just go in and check. Besides, it smells good.”

Perhaps knowing it would likely drive him crazy--there could be hidden dangers lurking in the pizza parlor!--she lead the way inside. Fortunately, it was just a dumpy little restaurant with bench seating, formica tabletops carved up by a million teenagers, sticky floors, old ceiling fans, and a display case stuffed with different kinds of pizza next to an old cash register. Mina made a face at the floors as they crossed them but quickly switched her attention to the pimply young man behind the counter that greeted them. “Welcome to Pavlos! What can I get you two?”

He caught the door, holding it open for Mina and then giving a low growl as he followed her through. The smell within made his stomach grumble in request. He kept close to Mina’s side even though everything about this place suggested they were not in the right location.

“We’re looking for Meego,” he said to the kid behind the counter.

The kid blinked, shrugged, and shouted through the window back into the kitchen. “Hey Meego! Two hummies out here looking for you.” There was a clatter of pans and some shouting from the back as the kid turned to look at Luka and Mina, affecting a sudden tough guy stance which was ruined by the greasiness of his hair and the redness of his chapped skin, “You two aren’t here to cause trouble, are you? Cause this isn’t the kind of place you want to be causing trouble in.”

Luka turned to scan the room in baffled curiosity before turning back to the kid at the cash register. “I promise no harm will come to this alcazar of fine dining.”

Mina elbowed him and smiled sweetly at the young man, “What he means is we want two slices of pizza and like… all of those.” She pointed to the garlic knots.

“Right. Sure.” He shuffled to get their order together, throwing two slices of pizza in the oven.

While he waited, Meego came out of the kitchen. He was still wearing his santa costume, though it looked a bit worn and rather sad now. When he saw Mina, his face lit up and he came dashing out from under the break in the counter, “My Champion!” He threw himself at Mina’s legs like he had on their first meeting, clinging to her, “Have you come to save poor Meego?”

“Yes, we have.”

“Ah yes, of course. The other Champion.” Meego peered up at Luka, releasing Mina to offer him a short bow. Then he was looking up at Mina again, “But where is the necklace, oh prettiest of Champions? Meego must have it! Yes, he must have it soon.”

“I have it,” she reassured him. “But first, Meego… what are you doing working here? You told us that your lady was going to enslave you forever.”

“She is! She is! Meego works many jobs, but Lady Tsarra said--”

“Tsarra,” Mina echoed, turning to look at Luka.

The truth of it all came spinning towards Luka at once. It wasn’t a coincidence. It wasn’t a fucking coincidence. The mission that had just so happen to be so close to Gaumond Hall. The chance that they would have to flee some sort of spell from the enchanted cave was high and, of course, he would immediately turn to the safety of Gaumond Hall when he needed to keep Mina safe. He hated that he had been so predictable more than anything else.

“Well, for fuck’s sake,” he huffed, reaching up to rub at his forehead. “Meego, why do you work so many damn jobs? Why are you running around doing favors for the Uremi?”

Meego had seen the way they both reacted to Tsarra’s name and panicked, “Do not tell Lady Tsarra that I said her name! It wasn’t Lady Tsarra. It was… oh Meego can’t lie! The Uremi offer Meego and many other fae protection. But we are in their debt. And there are still bills to pay, and Cory’s boss,” he smiled at the kid behind the counter who was really giving them dirty looks now, “Cory’s boss is kind and good! We make him pizza.”

Kind-hearted Mina completely ignored this entire explanation, looking at Luka instead. “I don’t have to give him the necklace,” she said and meant it too. She did not feel so charitable now that she knew Tsarra was involved.

“I’m pretty sure Cory’s a shitty boss and Meego would think anyone who doesn’t beat him for not making pizza fast enough is a good boss,” Luka said in reply to Mina, doing little to lower his voice so Cory didn’t overhear. “What other jobs do you have, Meego?”

“You must give me the necklace! Oh Champion! Do not be so cruel.” He threw himself at Mina’s legs once more and started to sob. “Meego must work so many jobs. Pizza all day. Dishes at night. And then shoes for the shoe maker. And pastries for the baker. And then more pizzas. And then the Uremi call and they need Meego to do this and that, and he does it! Whatever they ask. But he could not get the necklace. Not without the help of kind, wonderful Champions.”

Mina sighed, trying (unsuccessfully) to harden her heart out of annoyance at Tsarra by watching Cory blatantly burn their pizza.

Luka exhaled heavily, shooting an exasperated look at Mina as if it were all her fault. Then, he dropped down to a crouch before Meego to put them more at eye level. “Meego, I own Gamound Hall. It’s a big estate that I’ve neglected a bit. Mina and I want to make it more of a home but we need more staff. You will be safe there, no one will ask you to work too much, and you will have a nice warm bed in a room of your own. What do you think?”

Mina had rolled her eyes at that look from Luka, but she couldn’t suppress her smile when Meego launched himself away from her to cling to Luka instead. “Oh good wise Champion! You who are so much better than the other Champion who wished to not give the necklace to Meego.”

“Hey!”

He shot Mina a look before fawning at Luka more. “Yes yes! I will come cook for you and make shoes for you.”

“Let’s get you back to Gaumond Hall then and hope that the cook doesn’t thwap me upside the head,” Luka said with a flash of a grin as he rose to his feet. He lifted a hand to Cory after tossing some money down on the counter. “Forget the pizza, Cory. We’ll just take the chef.”

“But I wanted--”

Cory was glowering at them and reaching for something under the counter, “I told you two not to cause trouble in here!” It turned out to be just a broom, but he did wave it menacingly.

Meego pulled at Luka’s pant leg to get him to move for the door, happy to leave Mina behind if they could.

With an amused laugh, Luka reached out an arm to draw Mina in to his side and left the restaurant with his bizarre little family. And although she had not gotten her garlic knots, Mina couldn’t help but smile at Luka and remind him, “I told you everything would be fine.”

Return to “Beyond the Veil”