The Faerie Godmother of Little Elfhame

Faerie tales from beyond the veil to the streets of RhyDin

Moderators: Bailey Raptis, JewellRavenlock

JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

Jewell poured herself a drink before collapsing into her cushy office chair. Onto the desk went her strappy, black highheels. Ishmerai declined a silent offer for a drink as well, taking the seat across from her. “Some of the girls sound promising.”

“Yeah..”

He smiled a little at her unenthusiastic answer. “What did you think of the girl tonight?”

The Empress shrugged, “She was okay. Said she’s had some formal training before she landed in the brothel, so I guess that should be good.”

“Magic abilities?”

She shook her head, “Undeveloped.”

He nodded. “We can work with that. At least it is better than the girl last night. I am still upset that the report we received was so wrong.”

“Eh.” Jewell shrugged. “What are we going to do? Most of our information has been right.”

“True.” He watched her as she swirled the amber colored liquid around in her glass, apparently mesmerized by it. “So.. eight girls. That should be enough to start, right?”

“It’s nine with the twins,” she corrected without looking at him.

“Nine then. Nine is good.”

She shook her head. “No. I want a finder.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The girl was certainly as beautiful as promised. She entered the room in a swirl of sweet smelling perfume and long dark hair, pausing to light a stick of incense on a table near the door before turning to Jewell with a smile. “Good evening, mistress.”

Before she could give the tie of her robe a little tug to undo it, Jewell’s hand went up. “That will not be necessary.”

The girl’s brow creased in confusion. “What then would my mistress prefer me to do?” her smile was coy and inviting, fingers tracing along the plunging neckline of her robe in a manner that was surely meant to be tantalizing.

“Is it true that you have the ability of a finder?”

The girl’s hands froze. “What?”

“I was told that you have finder skills. A half-elven mother or something like that? No need to hide your ears from me.” With a wave of her hand, Jewell pulled away the clumsy glamour someone had crafted to hide the poor girl’s ears. Her hands went up to touch them quickly, fear filling her eyes. “Don’t look so scared, Janel was it? I just want to play a little game. You see, somewhere in this room?” Jewell gestured around her, “I have hidden a very expensive bracelet. If you can find it for me without looking, you can keep it.”

The girl looked unsure.

“But more importantly: if you find it, I’d like to sit down and have a little chat with you about the possibility of me buying your contract.”

“And what would my mistress want my contract for if she is not interested in my body?”

The Empress smiled, “Something far more exciting.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The two blue-haired ladies poured over the blueprints together.

“I love the layout of the rooms for them!”

“I know! I think we could have the construction start as soon as next week if we clear everything out.”

“But you still need a place to live,” Sapphire pointed out.

“Unnggh,” Jewell groaned. “This is so annoying! I don’t want to put the girls off any longer. I promised them I would buy their contracts as soon as possible. I don’t want to leave them in that position any longer than I need to.”

“Maybe set up temporary housing?”

“I could do that,” she didn’t sound sold on the idea however.

“Or you could just make a decision already about which place you like best.” Sapphire added archly.

Jewell pursed her lips. That sounded even worse! It involved all sorts of decisions she wasn’t ready to make.

“What about putting them up in the hotel?”

“It’s not ready yet,” she replied, chewing on the inside of her cheek as she stared through the blueprints, mentally grasping for the solution. Sapphire poked her arm right on one of her dueling acquired bruises. “Ow!”

The teen rolled her eyes. “Come on. Don’t make me get Merai in here to help you decide.”

They both looked down the hall to see if the knight would appear at the mention of his name. When he didn’t, they turned their attention back to the blueprints. “Which place did you like best?”

“Weeellll,” Sapphire drew out, leaning forward onto her elbows. “The brownstone is nice and wouldn’t take a lot of work, but I think the old mill building has a lot more potential.”

The Empress nodded slowly, “Yeah. I guess the question is: potential for what, exactly?”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Jewell stepped carefully over a pile of rusted metal and bricks. The scarf she held over her face protected her from the worst of the dust, but the air was still oppressive. The thick layer of grime on the large windows couldn’t stop the July sun from dangerously ramping up the temperature. “There is still some iron in this building, though.” The Empress complained to the half dwarf contractor representing Seed to Sprout Co.

“There is Lady Empress but worry not! We have perfected iron removal, replacing it with sustainable materials.”

She nodded absently, turning to look at Sapphire. Ishmerai was too busy these days--training her future army of fierce, former sex workers--to accompany her. “What do you think?”

Sapphire looked around as if she needed to think it over. The blue handkerchief hid the teen’s grin, but the lines at the corners of her eyes were telling enough. “I think if you don’t take it, someone else will.”

“Fair enough.” Jewell turned back to the dwarf. “I’ll have the barrister process the paperwork immediately. We can go over blueprints in the next few weeks. I’ll also be ready for work on the house to begin as well.”

“As you wish, Lady Empress.” The dwarf bobbed his head ridiculously about ten times, gold coins floating before his eyes.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“We are going to live in the hotel?”

“Uhuh..” Jewell nodded as she breezed about her office, picking up a book here and there and looking at the cover before setting it aside.

“For how long?”

“Until the mill complex is ready.” Picking up another book, she used her thumb to flip through the pages quickly.

“That could take months!” He objected before attempting to relax his clenched jaw and speak calmly, “I do not care for this idea, Mira. Why not just rent an apartment for a time if you are so eager for work on the house to begin?”

She slammed the book cover shut and finally looked over at him. “It won’t take months!” She grabbed another book, grumbling to herself as she practically tore through the pages, mumbling, “And I’ll think about it.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Jewell leaned near the doorway, nodding at the ladies as they left the training room: “Phil have a good night. Haizea, your form is definitely improving. I’ll see if I can find that book on the techniques I was telling you about, Janel; it might be hard with everything in boxes right now. Be careful Sammy. Goodnight Lavanya.”

As the ladies departed down the hallway, their chatter and laughter drifting back towards the room, Jewell looked around. The only ones left were the twins and Judith. To the chagrin of The Empress, Aella and Calla had dyed their hair blue to pay homage to the one who had freed them from bondage. Even Jewell’s ego thought this was a bit much. She left them alone since they currently had Ishmerai cornered, flirting incorrigibly with the knight as they tried to get him to show them a particular move again. Instead, she drifted towards Judith. The woman seemed to be taking far too long to put her stuff away, casting discreet glances at Jewell now and then.

“Judith,” the Faerie greeted her pleasantly. “You seemed a bit distracted during practice this evening. I hope no one has been bothering you?”

The woman was much larger than the petite Empress--Jewell had insisted from the beginning that she was built for fighting--but seemed cowed by her presence, clutching her bag to her chest nervously. “Oh no no, Lady Empress, it’s nothing like that!”

Jewell sighed internally with relief. They had been having trouble with a few of the ladies being bothered by former clients. She had made it abundantly clear to all of them that she did not care what they did in their downtime. They could **** as many of their former clients as they wanted to, as long as they wanted to and were not doing it for money. And if the former clients refused to accept no for an answer? Well, several of them had already been visited by Jewell and Ishmerai. One had suddenly departed town with nothing but a rather vague note left for his roommate saying something about “needing some air”; oddly enough, his wallet and all his belongings were still in his room. His “disappearance” was being investigated, but it didn’t seem to be going anywhere fast.

“Is there anything you need then? Your shoes are looking a little worn out. We could always go shopping?” She tried that route but Judy just shook her head. Jewell gave her a moment, waiting, as the young woman seemed to be trying to get up her courage to say something.

“It’s just… Lady Empress, I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to be dishonest, but I was so scared and I didn’t know what to do.”

To her credit, Jewell just smiled kindly at her. “What happened, dear?”

“I didn’t want to lie to you. I really didn’t. But the other girls in the brothel, they warned me against telling you. Said I’d never get out if I did. So I didn’t, but I just can’t keep lying to you. Not to you.” Again, Jewell just smiled, her silence encouraging Judith to continue. “You see.. I have a little baby girl.”

“Oh is that all?” the blue-haired woman laughed. “Of course you have a daughter. I’m surprised more of you don’t have children running around, although I’m sure you weren’t given much choice in the matter either way.” Her expression darkened for just a moment before she was all smiles again, “How old is she?”

Judith seemed unable to relax at first, shrinking back at Jewell’s laughter and cringing at that brief look of fury that had crossed the Faerie’s face. It was the question that drew her back out, “My daughter? She’s just about three now.”

“What a fun age! What’s her name?”

“Daphne,” she stated shyly.

“That’s a lovely name.” Jewell reached out and touched Judith’s arm in a comforting gesture. “Don’t worry, Judy. We’re going to get you and Daphne a good home that you can enjoy together.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The joy of the ladies was infectious. Jewell’s grin was still in place hours later as she accepted a glass of whiskey from Ishmerai before he sat down across from her.

“Wow.” She said not for the first time. “I just.. I mean, did you see the tears in Lavanya’s eyes?”

“I did.” He admitted dispassionately. “You should be very pleased, Mira. I think it went well.”

“So tame, Merai!” she groaned out. “It was better than well! It was fantastic. Didn’t you see how happy they were? A house of their own with rooms that belong solely to them. Locks on the doors to keep unwanted visitors out. Any amenities they could ever want or need. I think we covered all the bases and then some.”

“Yes, I am sure they appreciate the deep soaking tubs you insisted on.” He teased her relentlessly. “More important is that, perhaps for the first time in their lives, they are safe. They have all their needs met and you have given them a level of security unimagined previously. You have saved them. They will never forget this, Mira.”

The Empress smiled. “As they shouldn’t.”

After all, she hadn’t done all of this out of the pure goodness of her heart!
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“We are very very sorry for the delay, Lady Empress.” The contractor ghosted her steps, as she toured the top floor of The Mill at Little Elfhame. “We truly are! We have done our best to accommodate your revised plans in a timely manner.”

Jewell waved away the apologies. “Yes yes. When do you think it’ll be done?”

“You could move in tomorrow if you want! There are only the tiniest details to see to now. I will have the men work through the night if need be to have it ready for you.”

“No no, that won’t be necessary.” Jewell crossed her arms, fingers tapping along her forearms as she spun about in a slow circle. There was too much to consider. Kal had acknowledged that his loft above The Line was the safest place for her at the moment. She couldn’t really disagree (not that she was inclined to anyway) since the price on her head remained sky-high. And without Ishmerai around to serve as both general deterrent and ward-maker for the new building, even Little Elfhame was not safe.

“Well Mr. Sprout,” she turned to the owner of Seed to Sprout Co., “I commend you and your workers for the excellent job you have done. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Unfortunately, I will not be moving in for a few weeks at least.”

“Of course!”

“Please let me know if you need me to make any other decisions in the coming days.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Grand Opening of The Mill at Little Elfhame

Old Market’s hottest new urban development project opened today. The Mill at Little Elfhame is a delightfully chic commercial and residential space with industrial flairs and the right touch of fey influence.

Several new business ventures--including boutique shops and restaurants--are also opening their doors today as part of the grand opening celebration. Generating the most buzz is Feygarten, a beer hall and garden. With indoor and outdoor seating (the latter maintained by localized air-warming spells, fire pits, and heating spell lamps) year round, Feygarten is sure to become one of RhyDin’s favorite watering holes.

The old mill building, previously an eyesore in the up-and-coming neighborhood of Little Elfhame, has been completely renovated by Seed to Sprout Co. The project was financed by House of Summer Inc., a local enterprise run by Jewell Ravenlock and operating out of Little Elfhame.

Commercial space is still available in the building. Several available suites on the second floor boast views of the river. Interested parties should contact Barrister Lamont at xxxxxxx Little Elfhame; Old Market.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Jewell sat alone in The Last Drop, holding an untouched cup of chai tea. Ishmerai was somewhere nearby, prowling the neighborhood most likely. He wouldn’t wander too far in case he was needed. In case she did something stupid, like have a panic attack or assault someone because they touched her.

Both had happened in the last week.

She just wanted to be alone for a little bit and brood over this morning’s conversation regarding the future of the House of Summer.

“We should consider what our next move is now that The Mill project is complete. With a friendly baron in Old Market, the time is ripe for something big if we want it.”

“I think you are correct, Lamont. I doubt the young Lady Lirssa will interfere in anything we attempt to do. Do you not agree, Mira?” Ishmerai turned to look at his lady. She was staring out the window of her office. “Mira?”

“I was listening,” she claimed wearily as she looked to the two men sitting opposite her.

“Were you?” The knight frowned. She didn’t seem phased by the expression. “Then what are your thoughts on the matter?”

Jewell sighed and looked back out the window. “I don’t really care.”

The two men exchanged a look. “Jewell,” Lamont stepped up to the plate to try his luck, “we understand you are a bit preoccupied by what is occurring in Faerie and your more.. personal matters.” Her little burnt hands clenched into fists in her lap. “We just want to know if you have any ideas for what you would like to do next.”

A loud noise from the kitchen startled her, causing her to spill some of her tepid chai. “Damn,” she muttered, reaching for some napkins to clean it up. As she wiped off her skirt, she heard a familiar voice on the radio. Jewell glanced up at the ancient device that was sitting on the counter of the coffee shop.

Lirssa was speaking.

“Hey,” Jewell called out to the male barista. “What’s this on the radio?”

“Sounds like an interview from WHAM! 101.1FM. Pretty sure it’s an older one.”

“Huh. Turn it up would you?”

The teen shrugged and reached over, turning the dial. The Empress cradled the mug of chai tea in her hands again, sitting back to listen to her young friend chat with Yasmin.

She knew what she wanted to do next.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The rate at which her right high heel was tapping the floor had increased exponentially over the last twenty minutes. Ishmerai kept shooting her disapproving looks, and Jewell kept choosing to ignore them.

Finally, she interrupted the gentlemen. “Let’s get back to the Lirssa thing, shall we? I don’t really feel like quibbling any further over who gets what when I die.”

“Will you stop saying that!” The knight begged in exasperation.

Jewell ignored him. “If we forgot something, use your discretion Lamont. You have the list of beneficiaries. It’s not long. And you know who has priority and who I trust.”

“Of course!” The barrister made a hasty note on his growing mountain of paperwork.

“So Lirssa.”

“As I told you earlier, my lady,” Lamont explained calmly, “someone already put a bid on the house.”

In contrast, her tone was becoming sharper as the evening wore on. “I know. And I said I didn’t care. Offer them more money.”

“With all due respect, Jewell, I am just not sure if that will do it. I doubt they will accept the offer you outlined earlier.”

The Empress rolled her eyes. “Then make them an offer they can’t refuse. I don’t care how it gets done. Just do it. It’s that simple.”

“But Mira--” Ishmerai stepped in to play the voice of reason.

She held up her hand to stop him. “No. Just do it.” Jewell started ticking her points off on her hand, “Purchase the property, find out what needs to be done there and make it happen, allocate whatever other funds are needed at the other properties, and get Lirssa officially listed as an employee of House of Summer. She can even have an office at The Mill if she wants.” She sat back in her seat. “Oh and I want it all done by tonight.”

Lamont checked his watch, “Jewell, it’s already--”

She threw her hands up. “What do I pay you for? Get it done! I am not going to Faerie tomorrow still worrying about this ****, so make it happen. You both said you wanted to know what my next project is, so here it is.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“That woman down on Fire Fly Drive is giving me trouble. Do you think you can go turn on the charm, get her to soften up a bit?”

The knight stared at her.

“Come on! I’m not asking you to sleep with her. Maybe just give her one of your killer smiles. Maybe a kiss?”

“No.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“Mmhm,” Jewell nodded as she listened to the woes of Ms. Nisbit.

“I am very sorry to hear that.”

“Yes, these are troubling times.”

“I suppose it is the price we pay for living in a city free from court rule.”

The Empress didn’t show a sign or even a hint of impatience as Ms. Nisbit talked her ear off for well over half an hour. She didn’t interrupt her even though the lady was making her late for the lunch date she wanted to steal Kal away on. She accepted the awful, hard-as-rock cookies Ms. Nisbit baked every Sunday night (it was Thursday and they did not improve with time) and ate it with lots of mmmm’ing.

“Again, my darling Ms. Nisbit, I can only offer my sincerest apologies that this wanton vandalism and theft happened to you. It really is inexcusable.” Before the old woman could start reiterating her woes once more, Jewell asked, “How much was it that they took from your till?”

“Oh dear, oh my,” Ms. Nisbit pushed her glasses back up her nose. “About 500 silver. You see, I only go to the bank on Wednesdays and this happened on Tuesday night so--”

Jewell gestured aside and Lavanya stepped forward, handing her a bag which The Empress then extended to the shop owner. “This should more than cover your loss, Ms. Nisbit. Also, I will be sending the boys over later today to fix your window and clean the graffiti off your storefront, all right?”

The woman was so flabbergasted by this gesture, she was actually speechless.

“They will also be planting some new flowers in your window box.” Ms. Nisbit just nodded numbly. “Unfortunately, I must be going now. Please make a note of any further trouble you encounter or if the boys do not clean up very well. Ishmerai will be by later tonight to make sure everything is to your satisfaction.”

The mention of the knight seemed to wake her up. “Oh yes! Yes of course! Thank you Lady Empress!” The petite woman grabbed the Faerie’s hand and kissed it. “You are a blessing to us.”

Jewell had to accept a whole bag of cookies before she was allowed to finally depart. Once outside, she handed off the bag of inedible treats to Lavanya.

“Maybe Spartacus will eat them,” the freckled blonde offered with a grin.

“Maybe.” Jewell agreed. “I want you to work with Janel tonight. Find out who did this,” she gestured at the graffiti marring the storefront. “Feel free to make them cry.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“I don’t care that it’s over a week away. I want the girls out on patrol in threes starting yesterday and until a week after the festivities are over.” Jewell tried to rub away the goosebumps that had just cropped up across her arms. “The veil is already thinning.”

“I know.”

“Then why aren’t you more concerned about this?”

The knight frowned. “I am just unsure what you are trying to defend yourself against.”

“I..” Jewell started and stopped. “I don’t know. Everything! Nothing? I don’t know. All I know is that this is my neighborhood to protect. This is mine. It’s all I have left. And I’ll be damned if anyone touches it.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The calendar on her desk featured a sun soaked beach during the month of June. Jewell studiously avoided looking at it. Instead, she shuffled through a tall stack of paperwork.

Initial numbers from the gala.

Requests for purchases from Beyond the Veil.

Foundation projects that wanted a signature of approval from a board member.

Contracts for Hydra and a list of possible team names.

A report about someone not paying their “community association fee”.

Ideas for participation in the Midsummer Festival.

A list of names of girls who might be a good fit for House of Summer.

A note from Faerie clearing her family of any blame in the attack on Sapphire.

She crumpled that last bit of paper in her fist as she sunk back into her chair, high heeled feet swinging up to rest on top of a letter of complaint someone had sent her. Grey eyes flitted over to the calendar. It was marked up with appointments and meetings. Running an empire was busy work. Her whole afternoon was booked.

But that’s not why she stared at it now just as hard as she had avoided it before.

On the bottom corner of Monday, June 6th, was a little red dot. There were almost a dozen little red dots that she added to every calendar she purchased. They were warnings. Promises. “This day will not be a good day,” they said.

The red dots signified birthdays and anniversaries. They told her when someone was born and when they died. They reminded her when her house burned down and of days she would never really forget anyway.

This particular dot quietly informed her that she would have been married to Stephen Kidd for nine whole years a week ago. It had been easy to ignore it last Monday. It had been easy to ignore it as she took care of Sapphire. It had been easy to ignore it as she rushed to make sure the gala went off without a hitch. Hell, it had been real easy to ignore it as she spent most of the weekend with Kal.

It was not so easy to ignore now. Sapphire was home. The gala was over. Kal had work. And so the little dot stared at her. It drilled into her brain loss and hurt. It meant every mistake she had ever made and every foolish notion she’d ever had.

Running an empire was busy work, but there were some perks too. “Merai,” she called as she stood up, fleeing her office without a second glance to the unfinished paperwork. “I’m going out.”

Return to “Beyond the Veil”