Faerie tales from beyond the veil to the streets of RhyDin

Moderators: Bailey Raptis, JewellRavenlock

JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

Thursday, 10 March 2016

Madness seedings!” Sapphire practically shoved the newspaper into her face.

“Stop stop, I can’t read it that way!”

The teen flattened it on the table for her instead, smoothing out the wrinkles it had inherited as she waved it around. Impatient and bursting with pride, she pointed right to the top of Monk division for Jewell.

“You’re shitting me, right?”

“Language,” Sapphire chided, laughing.

Jewell grabbed the paper right from her and held it up real close. “Unbelievable.”

Sapphire shrugged as she took a seat at the table, “Not really.”

“Where are you on here?” Grey eyes cast about for the teen’s name.

“Ramirez Division, number thirteen.” She smirked. “I guess they don’t recognize greatness when they see it.”

She looked over the edge of the paper at her. “Then how do you explain my number one seed?”

“Duh.” She rolled her eyes. “You’re sleeping with a division leader.”

“Good point.” Jewell went back to locating Sapphire’s name and her round one opponent. “Oh.. Rakeesh huh?”

“Isn’t he a Lion Turtle or something?”

A furrow formed in Jewell’s forehead. “What the hell is a Lion Turtle?”

“Language!”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Friday, 18 March 2016

“What do you think?” She set her new toy on the table before them: a scepter fit for a dueling Empress.

Ishmerai looked unimpressed but Sapphire went right for it, grabbing the weapon up and turning it over in her hands. “Ooooo!”

“I should have asked Kruger to make me my own along time ago. I’ve missed using the Old Temple one. It gave me such style!”

The knight snorted. “Because that is clearly what you have been missing in life.”

If it was, the scepter certainly had it. Tiny sapphires wound their way around the shaft of the weapon while a much larger one was caged on top. It was all so very blue!

“It’s pretty but I bet it could do some damage too, huh? ” Although not very wide around, it was certainly heavy enough when Sapphire held it across her palms. She tightened her grip and gave it a swing at the air.

“Yeah.” Jewell accepted the weapon back from her. “Pretty sure I could bash someone’s head in with it.” The sudden grin said she rather liked that idea. “Fancy some practice so I can give it a try before Madness?”

The teen nudged Ishmerai towards her. “I think your knight should handle this one.”

JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Sunday, 20 March 2016

“Mira, you have been practicing all day.”

“Mmhm.”

“Perhaps you should rest a bit?”

“Nope.”

“Your match is in three hours. You need to get cleaned up.” No response. “Sapphire made dinner. She wanted me to come get you.”

“I’ll eat later.” Jewell spun her new scepter about in her hand before swinging it with enough force that she almost dislodged the practice dummy’s head from its body.

“She made your favorite.”

“Later. I’ll eat later.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Tuesday, 22 March 2016

“I can’t believe we’re both out of Madness.”

“Yeah well,” Sapphire shut the oven and turned to face Jewell, wiping her hands off on her jeans, “maybe you should sleep with the referees next time too.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Friday, 25 March 2016--3:00am

“I ate too many pancakes,” she whined. “I think I’m gonna barf.”

“For the record, I warned you that you were going to feel ill.”

“Nah, it’s probably because Uncle Matt backhanded her twenty times.”

“I think it was only four,” the knight corrected.

Sapphire shrugged. “Close enough.”

Jewell groaned. “Which one of you is gonna hold my hair back?”

“Not it!” Sapphire shouted.

Ishmerai frowned. The teen grinned in response. The knight had not gotten the hang of that game yet.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Monday, 28 March 2016

“Are you going to summon her?”

“Maybe when we get there.”

“I think you should.”

“She’s busy.”

“You miss her.”

“But she’s busy.”

“Rayvinn will come anyway.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Saturday, 29 April 2016

“I need you to stay in the house tomorrow night.”

“What!? I have to stay in the house while you get to go to Beltane and do Mother knows what with god knows who?”

“Just stay in the house.”

“This is epically unfair!” Sapphire threw the dish towel on the counter. “Beltane is the coolest night of the year. There’s even going to be a party right in Little Elfhame!”

“I know. And you can go out later in the week to enjoy whatever it is you want.” Jewell paused. “Just not tomorrow night.”

“What the hell am I supposed to do instead?”

“You can have friends over here. Have a fire in the pit on the patio. Drink. Eat. Play your guitar. I honestly don’t care as long as you do it here.”

“And Merai will be here to watch me, I suppose?”

“Yes.”

Sapphire groaned. “You are so unfair.”

“I know.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Saturday, 7 May 2016

“But what is the real reason?”

“Issssh-merai!” the lady groaned out, covering her face with her hand. “That is the real reason. We were really really drunk.”

The knight shook his head. “No. I simply do not believe it. I have seen you drunk before, Mira. Many times. You have never impulsively formed a marriage alliance--”

Jewell rolled her eyes at the term and immediately regretted it as the world spun around. She folded her arms on her vanity and buried her head against them.

“--despite the involvement of any number of eligible men and women on these occasions. I want to know what you and Raye are up to.”

“Fine.” She sat up, bloodshot eyes glaring at him. “Maybe it wasn’t just because we were really drunk. Maybe it was because I’m one of the only people she can trust. And maybe.. maybe I trust her enough not to leave me too.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Monday, 9 May 2016

“Why didn’t you want to accept the squireship with Baroness Ellisa? She’s nice.”

She shrugged. “I’m already training with you every morning. I didn’t want to add anything else to it.”

“But we do magic.”

Sapphire wrinkled her nose. “Yeah. But sword fighting isn’t my strong suit anyway.”

Jewell smirked. “Well duh. That would be the point of being a squire then, no?”

“I guess. But Fists is the only sport worthy of my real attention.”

“You sound so much like Harris. It’s creepy.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Friday, 15 July 2016

Dawn came to RhyDin.

“Yes, Merai?”

He hadn’t wanted to interrupt her while she meditated, but when she opened her eyes and twisted around to look at him, he stepped forward. “I hope you were not too cold last night.” She shook her head no as she turned back, eyes open now to watch the golden light play on the nearby rooftops. She had insisted on sleeping outside. Again. The Pit was only two nights ago. She needed more time.

The knight had piled blankets on the neighboring chaise lounge, but the weather was too warm to warrant their use and they sat there, folded and untouched. “I suppose the alcohol probably kept you warm enough. What was it that you were drunk on this time?”

“Bourbon. I think. I don’t remember. Tucker just kept refilling my glass.”

“Was it the space?”

“No.” She shook her head. It had been uncomfortable being in the Inn, but that hadn’t been the real issue. “Brian Ravenlock is dying.”

He took a deep breath. “I see.”

“Yeah.”

“What are you going to do?”

Jewell straightened her posture. “I am going to finish meditating to try and clear my head. I am going to have a chat with Lain this morning if she’s awake. And then I think I might see if Kal is still away working later.”

“Ahh. Your favorite distraction.”

She smiled. “The best looking one, at least.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Wednesday, 27 July 2016

“Where did you go to lunch?” he asked The Empress as she took a spot on the couch opposite him, red high heels discarded on the floor so she could curl her legs beneath her.

Her smile turned sly, eyes downcast as she smoothed her dress over her legs. “We stayed in.”

“Of course you did. I am guessing he did not take it too badly then.

“Oh no.” She laughed. “He seemed pretty upset.”

The knight shook his head. “Do I even want to know how you won him over?”

She tilted her head. The red lipstick she had applied prior to leaving for The Line was long gone; her blonde hair was decidedly more tousled; her dress was a bit rumpled but at least all the buttons were done now; and her face was still a little flushed. “Probably not.” She admitted with a smirk. “It took him a few minutes but he uh.. eventually came around.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Wednesday, 27 July 2016

“Surprised to find you home,” the knight remarked as he passed his lady on the way to the refrigerator. Ishmerai appreciated the mix of magic and technology when he was able to pour an ice cold glass of water for himself.

“Meh. I was tired.” Jewell admitted, swinging her bare feet back and forth far off the ground as she sat perched on one of the kitchen barstools. Ishmerai had already kicked her high heels aside in the foyer. “How’re the streets?” she asked before shoving another heaping spoonful of ice cream into her mouth. She must have found the biggest spoon in the house, and she was using it to steadily devour an entire container of vanilla ice cream with cookies mashed up in it.

“Quiet.” He took a spoon out of the drawer and gestured at the ice cream. “Give me some.”

“No way.” She picked it up and cradled it to her chest. “Get your own.”

He rolled his eyes, venturing back to the refrigerator. His voice was muffled as he had to dig around to find ice cream for himself. “How did you do tonight?” He didn’t need to ask if she had fought. There was still blood across her face and arms.

“Enh.” She made a noise through a mouthful of ice cream, waiting to finish that particular bite before answering. “Took me a while, and a few sips of that nasty tasting leaf juice, to calm down enough to get in a ring. Then I was mostly fine. Even tried a few of those new moves I've been practicing with Kal.”

“That is an improvement,” he observed, leaving the fridge and leaning on the counter across from her. He did not ask which moves in particular she was referring to.

Jewell stared at the container of ice cream he had taken: strawberry. She loved strawberry. “Yeah. I guess.” He was opening it slowly, taking his time scooping out the first spoonful. “I just.. it bothered me that the pit was..” It was agonizing watching him bring the ice cream to his mouth. “Oh fine! We can trade.” She shoved the cookie filled container at him before grabbing the strawberry away as he laughed. “Such a brat.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Thursday, 28 July 2016

“Mira, please tell me you did not sleep with that thing in your bed.”

Her yawn turned into laughter as she set her Kal Cardboard Cutout next to the kitchen table before plopping down onto a seat herself. “No. It would have been too poor of a replacement for the real deal.” He rolled his eyes and she grinned. “But I woke up and it was kind of staring at me, so I figured I’d bring it out here instead.”

“So it could stare at me.”

“Exactly.”

“Of course.” The long suffering knight sighed. “It does not even look much like Lord Ar’Din, you know.”

“Of course it doesn’t.” She pulled over the plate of pastries he had in front of himself. The baker sent over a fresh box almost every day.

“You did it on purpose?” He asked with a smile. His lady could be so jealous.

The look she levelled at him was cold and full of steel, a difficult feat as she chewed a mouthful of danish. Just like a high-class lady, she brushed the crumbs off her lips with the back of her hand. “Ishmerai, don’t be a fool. Would I really let someone make a true to life artistic representation of anyone I cared about?”

He knew she had chosen her words carefully there and that this had nothing to do with someone having a likeness of her beau to call their own. “No. I suppose not.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Sunday 28 August 2016

In the sunlight, her blonde hair was just as shiny as the gold it was meant to imitate, pooling over the side of the chaise lounge. Her coral dress--rumpled and crumpled from dueling, drinking, swimming, and whatever else she and Kal had done--was hiked up close enough to her hips, laying her legs bare to soak up the morning sun.

Jewell cracked her eyes open at the jingle of ice in a glass, accepting the cool drink from Ishmerai and moving her legs over to give him a place to sit.

“I assume your night was to your liking.”

She shrugged. “It was fine.”

“Just fine? Do not tell me your adoration has started to fade already, Mira. Although, truth be told, this is the longest I have seen you interested in anyone since we first met.”

She scooted back on the lounge chair so she could sit upright with her back against the cushion, careful not to spill her water. “It hasn’t.”

He knew enough to wait for her to offer up her thoughts rather than badger her with questions.

“We had a nice night. But first we dueled.”

“I see. And how did that go?”

“He beat me. No big surprise there.”

The knight frowned. She may have played it off casually, but something clearly troubled her. The worry was there in the furrow of her brow. “Did he hurt you?”

“Of course not!” Jewell was quick to clear Kal of any offense. “It’s just… there was a moment when I thought he was going to hit me. Like really hit me. He grabbed my wrist, not even hard, and all he did was spin me around and draw me close to him, but for a moment? My whole mind just went blank.” She finally took a sip of her water. “It was over just as soon as it occurred. It was really no big deal, honestly. Not like we haven’t sparred a million times, and he’s never once seriously hurt me. And I know that. But my brain… why does it still do that? Why does it still go there? Why do I lock up?

“Why can’t I just forget?”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Friday, 2 September 2016

It was always something, watching his lady sit in her finery, lips still stained red but high heels long abandoned, covered in bruises, and eating a bowl of loopy fruits cereal. He didn’t even know how she ate that garbage, but since no one was around to make breakfast, the faerie took what she could get.

Ishmerai contented himself with coffee. They didn’t have coffee in Faerie, and he had taken a liking to it here.

“Do you think that just because you declared yourself loyal, this.. Six will come to your defense on Thursday against Lady Rhiannon?”

“Uhuh,” she said through a mouthful of the sugary cereal, wiping the milk off her lips with the back of her left hand. Such manners! “Because if he doesn’t? He’ll have an angry renegade baron on his hands, and I’ll challenge immediately following Claire.”

“I thought you said that you do not trust this young man.”

Jewell shrugged, spooning up another bunch of colorful loops. “I don’t. He smells like Faerie and winter. But that doesn’t mean I can’t work with him when it suits my needs.”

Return to “Beyond the Veil”