Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

Tuesday, 19 December 2017

“It’s a comm device.”

“I know what it is,” she snapped. “Why are you giving it to me?”

“Because Ishmerai wanted you and all the girls to have them.”

Jewell stared at Sapphire, trying to wrap her head around that. “My fae knight… wanted you…”

“To make you all comm devices,” Sapphire finished impatiently. “So that’s what I’ve been working on for the last few weeks. I actually bought some and had to reconstruct them so they would still work around all the magic and wards in this place and it wouldn’t fritz out if it came in contact with you on a regular basis.” Jewell looked neither impressed nor grateful. Just confused. “And you know, it’s not easy to adapt so many.” Still nothing. Annoyed, she shoved the device into Jewell’s hands, “I spent hours tinkering with it to get it perfect, so you better use it.”

“For what?” She turned the device around in her hands. The back was a midnight blue shot through with silver. The technomage faerie thought of everything it seemed. Even aesthetics.

“I don’t know! Sext for all I care. Just use it.”

“Sext?”

Sapphire grinned, “Yeah, you know. Send sexual text messages to someone, detailing--”

“Stop stop stop. I get it.” She dangled the device between her thumb and forefinger like it was some disgusting, foreign object. “Is that really all it’s good for?”

“No. They all have geo-locating capabilities between them. So if you don’t feel good or you need help, or you drop dead from a heart attack, we can find you.”

The elder faerie’s expression darkened. “Ahhh so he had you make this… device so you can spy on me. Is that it?”

“Yep!” Sapphire quipped. “Pretty much.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Sunday, 7 January 2018

“So then he sent you off with some other guy?”

“Yep.”

“But I thought earlier you said he didn’t want to keep pursuing your relationship because you were sleeping with some other guy…”

“Sin. But yeah.”

“I don’t get it,” Sapphire admitted.

Jewell shook her head. “I don’t think I get it either.”

She tried to chew over it a little while, steadily working through her Badsider. It was no good. The young woman gave up and asked a much more important question: “How was the other guy?”

The faerie’s grin rose slow and true around the mouth of her beer bottle, “So worth it.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Monday, 8 January 2018

Text to Little Blue (10:51pm): I’m heading home already

Text to Mama 2.0 (10:51pm): That bad? Are you okay?

Text to Little Blue (10:54pm): Fight was okay. Kheld destroyed him. Promised to buy him a keg tomorrow. I just ignored everyone else.
Text to Little Blue (10:55pm): I think I made things worse with Canaan

Text to Mama 2.0 (10:55pm): I’ll be home in a little while

When Sapphire arrived “home”--Jewell’s Little Elfhame loft relocated in the top floors of the sanatorium--the faerie Empress was lying facedown on the couch, still wearing her sparkly, silver hotpants and leather jacket. Sapphire had to pick her way across a minefield of abandoned high heels to reach her, plopping down right on her legs when she did.

“Oomph!”

“Wake up! Wake up! Wake up!”

“I’m awake. Brat.” Jewell reached back to swat at Sapphire, who just laughed and bounced a little, eliciting further moans and groans from Jewell as she twisted and turned over to look up at her. “Stoooop. I’m fragile.”

“Deal with it.” She waited a beat. “So, do you want to talk about it?”

Jewell snagged a pillow, covering her face with it. “Not really.”

“Come on,” Sapphire coaxed, tugging the pillow away. “What happened?”

“Nothing. It’s over. It’s been over. Hell, there apparently wasn’t even anything to be over in the first place.” She looked up at the ceiling instead of at Sapphire, “He wanted something more with me and all I wanted was to **** him and be friends with benefits and that’s not good enough.” She left off: And I’m not good enough.

Her brow furrowed and she totally (graciously) overlooked the opportunity to chide Jewell about her language. “Is that all you wanted though?”

“Yes,” she replied quickly, and then just as quickly amended it, “No… I don’t know.” She covered her face with her arms hands instead for a moment. “It’s complicated.”

“Apparently,” Sapphire agreed dryly. “Do you love him?”

She was quiet for a long time before finally admitting: “Maybe.”

“Did you tell him that?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

Jewell rolled her eyes before looking at Sapphire. “Because it doesn’t exactly go so well when I do that, remember?” And because she never ever wanted to be that vulnerable ever again.

“Yeah,” Sapphire nodded, resting her head back against the couch. “That is true. Also, telling someone you love them maybe probably wouldn’t go over so well, would it?”

“Probably not.”

She chewed on the end of her blue-haired braid, thinking. “So what now?”

“I don’t know.”

Return to “Beyond the Veil”