Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

Short Story Competition!

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

Quick References:
The "Gunsmoke and Ashes" Setting and Timeline
The Duel of Guns Website
Gunsmoke and Ashes IC folder

Every week, the Duel of Guns has been drawing a few new folks. We're almost to the point where I believe we'll be big enough to viably sustain the ability for folks to gain ranks through consistent activity. Almost!

So this week, I'd like to run a contest to expand the lore of the setting and help everyone get to know what makes the characters of our setting 'tick' just a little more.

THE RULES

1) Write a short story in the Gunsmoke and Ashes IC folder; this story can be background for your character, a character you've yet to play, or even for an NPC! It just needs to take place in the Gunsmoke and Ashes setting, at any point along its timeline.

2) The story can be one post, or it can be several, so long as it is finished by 9:30pm EST on Wednesday, April 16th (the start of next week's DoG shift). Keeping that in mind, find a story that you know that you can write in that time period.

3) The story can be written in any style, so long as it has a beginning, middle and end. You can write about current day, or you can write about something that happened earlier in our alternate Timeline.

THE REWARDS

1) Participation. Everyone who participates, meets all of the simple criteria above, and manages a reasonable understanding of the Setting criteria, will receive a Participation Achievement Icon. These participants as well as a single, one-time usage of the Desperado-rank-only Chaff Ammo for one of their DoG characters; characters not already on the standings will be placed on the standings with a 0-0 record.

2) The Three Winning Stories. A unique writing "Achievement" icon for your character, specific to Duel of Guns. I will also host the winning stories on front page of the Duel of Guns website, along with a picture of your central character. I will also work with you to include any relevant information on the permanent Gunsmoke and Ashes History Timeline.

THE JUDGING CRITERIA

I will judge the posted stories on the following criteria, but will not share my score unless the author asks me to; in other words, I will name the winners, but not the specifics of order or scores, publicly. This is about developing lore and having fun writing, not competition! That said, it is a little bit of a competition, so below are the four things that I'm looking at when I judge the stories this week.

1) Understanding of the Setting and Timeline. I'm always happy to answer any questions about these. If you read, it should be an easy 20 points!

2) Content. How engaging is the story? How much does it impact me, as the reader?

3) Narrative Structure. Does the story's POV and tense stay consistent? Is it easy to follow and understand in the way that it has been written? Are grammar and spelling enough of an issue that it distracts from the narrative?

4) Originality. Am I reading a fresh take on a Post Apocalyptic world? It can be hard to create something unique in a setting that has become wildly popular over the past decade. But even if the concept of the character isn't original, are there elements of the story that surprise, or stand out as unique?

Good luck writing; I can't wait to see what folks come up with! If you have any questions at all, just PM me (or hunt me down on AIM: InsertProfoundSN).
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

Due to a lack of stories so far, I'm extending the deadline for this competition by one more week! Get your stories posted to the G&A IC folder by 9:30pm EST Wednesday, 4/23!

So far, only Ace has posted a story, but it's a great one - and well worth reading!

Take a shot and help us develop our new dueling sport and setting. :)
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

A big thank you to Ace, Delilah, Imperius and Frostfyre for submitting stories to the contest! We didn't receive enough entries to warrant a true contest, so all four entrants will receive the unique Achievement for the contest! I'll have the Achievements in your inventories as soon as I'm able to get them out! I'll also be updating the front of the DoG website to display all four stories.

Check out their stories below, and write one of your own! Half-way into our first season, it's a great time to let us know more about who your characters are.

God Delivers Mercy, Ace Delivers Bullets
Who said that there are no heroes left in post-apocalyptic Rhy'Din? They obviously haven't had Ace staring down the barrel of his Colt .45 at them.

Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel
Lord Imperius, President of the Rhy'Din Defense League, has been offered the world on a bloody platter. But, is this ruined world still worth taking?

Steady As She Goes
Life in Dust Town is hard. But, there are still small joys to be found everywhere -- and Delilah knows just where to scavenge for them.

Gunfyre
To survive in Dust Town, sometimes you have to wear a mask. Sometimes you have to give up everything you were. But there are some things that Frost will never give up.
Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

While I'm still waiting to get the unique Achievement Icons out, I've gone ahead and posted all four of the short stories to the homepage of the Duel of Guns website - with art!

Return to “G&A OOC”