*Running Hot, Running Cold

Home of Izira Nyte and The Forgotten Layers Inn. Resting in an unnamed magical realm, the place is easier to find when lost if one is without the aid of a map drawn by the lady herself.

Moderators: Gren Blockman, Izira Nyte

Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 - Part 4))

Faenix approached Izira’s booth. “You mind me for company, or do you prefer space this evening?” His words indicated to Izira that he was at least aware that she wasn’t greatly fond of him. Still, he could work as a distraction from the area of the bar. There was little she could do about Alain here. With a little luck Locke would show up, she would speak to the blue elf and then return home. Glancing up at Faenix, she considered these thoughts. She then waved him towards the other side of the booth.

"Join me." Izira turned so as to be facing him once he sat.

“Thanks. I was getting kind of lonely.” He said, sitting down.

"It happens to us all." She offered lightly, meaning it. Glancing toward the bar despite her resolve not to do so, she considered Alain and Tucker. "Sometimes, even when you might not be." Thinking about herself and how distant this made her feel from Alain. Thinking about her friend Eva and the man known as Tucker and what was or wasn’t between them. Caring for someone, having them care for you in return, it didn’t always make for not feeling lonely.

“Yes, I didn't used to, but then Eva went and became a good influence on me, and I started noticing...”

Her attention returned to Faenix, "Noticing?"

Faenix sighed, drank and refilled the glass he’d brought along with his own bottle of bourbon. “Noticing a lack of other people in my life. But then I wasn't trained to work with or pay much attention to people. Hence my lack of social skills.”

"That so." A faint expression, Faenix must have been telling the truth as he missed the point behind what she had been saying. It had nothing to do with the lack of numbers, but the remoteness between two who should be closer.

He nodded, not catching her lack of response to his words. “I'm trying to do better, though. You don't seem to have any problem with people.”

"I don't? That is interesting." Izira didn't say further as to why, nor made any indication to him that she would. It was interesting because it was wrong. She managed enough to be polite to those she came in contact with outside of her home, but there was only a few that Izira truly cared about.

“Well, not that I can see, anyway.”

Izira considered there was a lot that the man didn’t see.

“Oh, but you might have problems, just don't want to... oh, sorry.”

Izira simply waved off Feanix's tumbling of words, having caught Tucker cleaning up for the end of his shift. Picking up the ‘borrowed’ bourbon bottle, she gave Tucker a wave. "Pardon me a moment." was said quickly to Faenix. Izira stood with bourbon in hand and made to catch Tucker before he left. He stopped on his way to the door, giving Izira his attention.

"I could always keep it if you don't want it anymore." Speaking to Tucker, she offered the bottle out to him.

He smiled to Izira. “Please. Enjoy it. I'll have it replaced in a couple of days.”

She nodded. "Very well. Have a good night, Tucker."

He nodded in return, “Good evening.”
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 - Part 5))

Bottle still in hand, she returned to the booth. Settling down, Faenix was still there. She went about placing the bottle to the side safely and didn’t worry about making light talk.

“So, how has your inn been?” Faenix asked.

"Busy. I managed to get away when I need." lightly shrugging along with her response. "And... you, how do you fare?"

“I scribble and trace maps all day, then come here... not exciting...”

"Maps?" She leaned back, her legs crossing. Maps could be interesting.

“I work as a cartographer at the RhyDin planning office. There are interesting nooks and crannies of town on file there...”

A short nod. Pondering on the nooks and crannies, she glanced towards the room again. Alain was speaking with a girl who looked familiar, but Izira could not recall from where. Locke was nowhere in sight.

“You look like you're really worried about something out there...”

"Or." Izira offered plainly, managing to cap her irritation. "I'm wondering when someone will show up." Faenix had been correct about her being worried about something out there, but since he was partly wrong and she didn't want to discuss what he was right about with him she decided to go with the area inwhich he was incorrect.

“Waiting for anyone I might know?”

She looked back at Faenix, an almost-there frown touching her expression. Capping her irritation was starting to become an unlikely action. She suspected he was hoping it was Eva. It wasn’t, but Izira wasn’t about to start detailing the man in on her life. "I wouldn't know."

“Too nosey a question?”

"Yes."

The man looked down, “Sorry...”

Another sigh. Izira looked away from Faenix. Eva should be here, but she wasn't. Eva was more tolerable of the man. That he seemed saddened like a child by the way she reacted only bothered her further.

“Eva's the one I usually wait for here.”

"As though I didn't know that..." Izira said with a cool smile, her attention back on Faenix. At least he admitted it.

Faenix smiled, “That obvious?”

"Yes." She glanced towards the bar, thinking she heard Locke's name. Indeed he was there standing behind the bar. Izira smiled, giving Faenix a nod, "If you will excuse me again." Izira caught up the book she had been reading and made towards the bar and Locke directly.

"Evening..." Locke greeted Izira with a raised brown to her rushing. About him several others were exchanging words over his bruises.

Coming to the bar before Locke, she smiled widely almost looking younger than she already appeared. It was a fact that while Izira looked to be in her early twenties, she was actually in the later years of them. "Good eve, Locke."

"How are you faring this fine evening, Izira?"

She waved the question off, not answering. To say she was annoyed by her previous company would be rude. Instead she set the book she carried before him. "I've been reading. There are some elementals that can create art from mixed elements." Opening the book and showing Locke a picture of an ice volcano erupting with fire.

He waved to someone and took a sip of his whiskey again, before hobbling forward with his cane to take a look at the picture. "Truly?" A glance up showed the touch of surprise that had crossed his face. "Even after four years of schooling in the magical arts, I am afraid my knowledge of such things is...painfully limited. I never was an apt pupil."

"Never was... doesn't mean you couldn't try." She tapped the page. "I like the idea, but I thought... given the area, a dragon would be more suited than a volcano."

"Think I'll head out..." Alain put in, he had been at the bar speaking with Locke and others before her approach. He smiled to Izira, Locke and the girl he had been speaking with that Izira could still not place where she knew her from. "Take care." Then with hands in his pockets, he made his way towards the door.

Locke spoke to Alain, with a wave of his cane. "Have a pleasant evening."

A glance back towards Alain as he left, something lingered in her eyes. Her goodbye a silent longing in her eyes as she watched him go. Frustration killed that soft feeling, and she forced it from her mind.

"I'll talk to you at work, tomorrow...about the hike. Hooroo!" The girl called after him. Where had Izira seen her before?

A glance at her, the girl was offered a smile before Izira’s attention was back to Locke.

His cobalt irises studied Izira and the drawing. "I think...trusting me with anything magical besides my usual schtick is a bad thing. About the only other spell I could get right on a regular basis was for my bag of holding."

Alain was gone, Izira could speak more freely. "You could try?" She offered again. "There is to be a party for Esperance and I was thinking, with a preserving spell, fire-breathing ice dragons would make a very interesting decoration."

He swirled the whiskey in his glass, as he considered her offer. "I suppose I could try. When is this supposed to happen?"

"You didn't think I could touch you and I proved you wrong there." She added, to boost his faith in the possibility of creating such pieces.

"Aye."

"So the ice sculpture is entirely possible." said with a smile. "There's no exact date for the party, but it will be soon after Beltane."

He scratched his chin, frowned just a touch. "How soon are we talking?"

An apologetic smile, she shrugged. "The village women are planning it. I have trouble understanding them and I can't ask Alain to translate because then we will be caught out."

"Well, I'm supposed to attend Johnny and Sianna's wedding on the 30th, and their reception on the 1st, and I'm also supposed to help my brother move some items out of storage around the same week. I might be too busy to help, unfortunately."

It was not possible for Izira to look more disappointed at his response if she tried. She gave a soft nod. "Yes... yes of course. I should have considered that." Not that she had known of either event, but she must have considered that other people have lives they tend to. While Izira waited for Locke to respond she caught a smile from Eless, offering one in return—her own was a bit hampered with her current disappointment.

His tone took on a level, sounding a little reassuring. "If it is sometime after that weekend, I might be able to do it..."

The book was closed, Izira looked up towards Locke. "Would you have any free time before then to practice?"

He gestured vaguely. "I am not terribly busy at the moment." Though, he was distracted as another girl approached the bar, looking a server. "I can serve you?”

A smile broke upon Izira’s face, she looked around and back to him. "It's a little crowded to practice in here." Her glance around catching Faenix as he made his way upstairs, a unfocused wave to him as he left.

The girl at the bar had said something to Locke, he waved his cane at the air in response "No worries, mate." Then looking at Izira, "One moment?"

A nod, she held her book close. Waiting and Locke got the girl’s order and made her a glass of crushed ice and apple juice.

Returning to Izira, he picked up the conversation where they head left off. "I was sort of waiting for someone this evening, but I don't suppose she really wants to talk to me anymore..."

"We could do it another time. I could draw you a map to my inn, if you'd like." Izira offered. Not many were graced with that invite as Izira was just getting out of a life of solitude. But Locke had yet to strike her as someone she needed to keep at arms length.

"I suppose I could wait a few minutes, see if they come back..." He gave a slight shake of his head, limping back over to grab a whiskey off the back bar.

She sighed, settling onto a stool.

After a while of silence, Locke asked Izira a blunt question. "You ever hurt someone you love, to try to stop them from doing something they'll regret? Or just hurt someone you love, period?"

His words causing what little cheer lingered in her to vanish. A long darkness reflected in those amber-brown irises as she answered him. "I've hurt all of them." She couldn’t tell if her words were exaggerated. They felt like the truth to her. Momentarily she wondered if it would remain true into the future.

He paused a second, taking a stiff bracer of whiskey, before responding. "Did any of them forgive you?" The conversation had taken a deeply personal tone.

She was silent a moment. "Two. A third... I think her heart was too cold to care in the first place." Izira looked away uncomfortable to recall those three. There were others she had hurt, but those three remained the few she could still one day see and be on good, if painful, terms with.

"I don't think she's coming back." He said, looking into the room. "I'm afraid she won't..." A quick shake of his head, he seemed to note her slight discomfort. "I am sorry. I am just being miserable."

"Now you have company." She said with a very faint smirk. Then adding, in regards to those who had given her forgiveness, "Of the other two... I do not think I deserved one's forgiveness." She broke a smile, but it was weaker and sad.

He gulped down the rest of his whiskey, before shuffling over to pour himself some more. An extra helping of ice added. Then, he got out from behind the bar and sat somewhat closer to Izira. With a low voice, he addressed her last comment. "Then I suppose we have something in common there, then..." He lifted his drink up, after that, in a toasting gesture, before taking a sip.

"You seem a kind man, Locke. I sincerely hope that is all we have in common." She brushed her hand towards her hair, it was held back in that smart bun and at no risk of getting into her face. A nervous habit, as her thoughts trailed away...
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 – Part 6))

After lingering at the inn a while, Locke had given up on the girl he was waiting to see showing up. Conversation was exchanged and Izira and Locke decided to practice creating elemental art in the area of Twilight Island. Arriving there they talked for a while before getting started…

…she waved a hand, swirls of flame lingering in the air behind it.

He watched the flames flicker through the air, a slight wary look in his eyes. Fire and him...didn't mix too well together. Still, he gave a whistle at the display. "Impressive. Wish I was as well-trained as you seem to be."

"I have been practicing on my own. It is easier now." Her hand returned to her lap. "I do not know if it would work the same for you, as our people are different... can you create ice?"

"Out of thin air? No." He chuckled a bit, at that thought. "Most of what I do is temperature manipulation. I already have a chill touch, but I can amplify it and send it across a certain distance, if need be. Organic or inorganic materials. To make ice, though, I would need water. I suppose that is rather obvious, though?" A slight shake of the head, as he realized that might have sounded insulting. "Sorry."

"No need." She waved it off, looking to the water again. Would it be easier to go into it? She tried to think it out. "I am used to the flames just being there, alive within me."

"So for you, it is more...intuitive." Time for an experiment. He got to his feet slowly, grabbing his cane and using it to traverse the sands up to the water. That done, he carefully removed his left shoe and sock, setting a bare blue foot on the shallow part of the water. He closed his eyes, focusing his magic on his foot, until the water froze beneath it. With a foothold, it was easier than to remove the other shoe and sock, and step out fully onto the water. Beneath the ice elf's feet, the lagoon started to freeze in a small radius around him. He crouched, to lay hands on the water and encourage the freezing process, a brisk wind whipping around him as he did so. Once he was satisfied that he had frozen the water enough, he started to take slow, halting steps around it. Walking on water, indeed.

"That would be a good way to put it." watching him as he stood and made for the water. She watched quietly. Izira chuckled, offering a clap at his success as he moved around and walked over the surface of now frozen water. She stood up and made her way over.

A deep bow, as he heard applause. "TaDa!" He paused, glancing down at his feet and the water, before giving a soft sigh. That was about all he could do to show off for her. No cartwheels or back flips tonight.

She stayed at the water's edge, brushing sand from the back and side of her dress. "Now try making something with a shape." She coaxed.

"Any suggestions?" As he lowered himself into a crouch, bare blue hands hovering above the ice.

"A lily." She responded after a moment, a water dragon had been thought of first and then a rose... but Izira thought those too complicated for a first go. Lilies were attractive but not too complicated in design.

The stem was the easy part, as his index finger touched the ice and drew it upwards, out of the flat sheet now covering the portion of the lagoon near Locke. The flower itself was harder. His other hand scratched his chin, eyes closed and deep in thought. Finally, deft fingertips moved to shape a flower. Broadly defined at first, they went to shape and texture the petals. He bit his lip as he worked, not used to using his magic with such precision. Finally, though, he was done. It was definitely a flower, with discernible parts, though it might not have been exactly the type of flower Izira was looking for. Still, there was a mixed look of pride and awe on the ice elf's face, as he stepped back on the ice to admire his creation. "Hmm..."

Izira watched with rapt attention, becoming eager as the flower was further formed through slow detail. A nod of approval, it was definitely a flower if not exactly a lily. "Good." She kept her distance from him, sensing his discomfort from before when she used her flames. Cupping her hands together, flames came to life in her hands... a small budding of licking yellow, orange and red... it grew, creating a flower in stages. The bud lifting up as leaves spread out, soon the flame blossom opened towards the sky. A rose. It flickered a moment then vanished in a wave.

"Thank you." He watched her create the flower of fire, dark blue eyes rapt in attention on her hands as she did so. The flames were pretty, even if he was afraid of what they could do to him. It brought a thought to his mind, as he saw her talent. "I want to be better at..." Sweeping a hand at her, then to the frozen water below him, and the ice flower. "this."

"Then make another. My first creation of fine was nothing pretty." Nor was it anything so pretty in intent and it had erupted only through great rage and deep need. None of that showed on her face, however. Nor the years wherein the flames boiled out of control within her, coming sometimes when called and often when it was not.

He made something simple, then. He touched the ice, then pulled his hand up, summoning a pillar of frozen water with him. "And what I have made is?" A glance to the flower, then the pillar of ice. "Most of the time, I just used ice as a weapon. When I wasn't close enough to actually touch them."

She nodded, looking at the pillar. "Perhaps larger objects would be easier... if you made more pillars, gave them a roof." An ice gazebo. Moving her hands to indicate what she was speaking of, though it was just a simple gesture. Another nod at his statement of using ice as a weapon. "I find.. I like making a kinder use of my gift."

He crouched, creating more supports for the makeshift ice gazebo. Once the four corners were created, he stepped to where the water was more like slush than ice, at the edge of where his spell had taken hold. He reached down into the water, pulling up a circular slab of ice. It was crude-looking, but with some effort, the slightly under-sized snow elf was able to top off his pillars with something resembling a roof. It was simple enough to freeze everything together. Panting a bit with the effort, he stepped back to admire his work.

"It's lovely." She offered with a warm smile. Recalling how happy she had been as she slowly learned to create images with her flames, the downside being that the fire would only last so long. Locke's ice had a longer life, when Izira thought she could lengthen with a preservation spell to make the dragons she envisioned last throughout the celebrations. Hopefully the women of the village would like that idea. Izira wasn't sure, but she was excited about the idea herself. "Just one thing missing." Carefully Izira moved out towards the ice gazebo, holding out her hand to Locke. "Give me your hand a moment?"

He moved toward her, a little closer to the shore, a bit more adept at navigating the slippery surface of the iced-over lagoon. Unlike last time, when it had taken quite some convincing to lend her his hand, he immediately did so now, holding out his left ungloved one for her. "What is missing, mate?"

"You'll see." Izira smiled, taking his hand. Again, as before, he was not harmed by the heat of her. Perhaps it was because of her father's people, given to multiple gifts, that Izira was able to mix Locke's ice with her own fire. Inspired by the sensation of ice flames she had created the previous day, this time Izira sought to create actual blue flames. From her other hand, it grew out like before. Shades of blue and white replacing the shade of flames. Out from her hand it snaked towards the gazebo, spilling around the pillars - splitting and climbing around them. Living vines, leaves and small blossoms awakening. When she was done she stood back, watching her handiwork with a smile.

Normally, he would have kept his eyes closed while casting his spell, or doing anything with his magic. This time, though, prompted by Izira's simple words, he kept them open. They brightened in the twilight, from cobalt to a lighter hue, as the energy shifted from his hand to hers. At the sight of plant life growing from blue flames, surrounding the gazebo, his jaw dropped a little, eyes widened about as large as they could. Only one word could describe what he had seen, and even that felt sadly inadequate to the task. "<vs> Stunning..."

Izira grinned, her voice soft and happy "Now imagine... Fire-breathing ice dragons." Still determined to get a more solid answer from him.

Eyes shut, as if he was picturing the sight in his mind. A slight chuckle, as he thought of something he found clever. Fire and ice, indeed. "As long as it isn't next Wednesday night or Thursday morning, I believe I can rearrange my schedule to accommodate you." Eyes popped open, and a dimpled grin flashed on his face.

She could have hugged him, but she didn't. Instead she squeezed his hand and let it go. "Not Wednesday or Thursday." A nod. "I will haggle with the village women and try to get a date from them." For now, even with the lack of contact between the two, the ice-fire vines remained.

A quick glance at the still-present magical vegetation, as he only dimly registered the squeeze of his hand. "Sounds aces to me, mate." Something approaching awe crept into his voice, then. "I...didn't really think I could do that, to be honest with you. I suppose I must have learned more from school than I thought I did. Or else..." He playfully winked at her. "I'm a natural." He seemed to be forgetting the fact that she had done most of the heavy lifting, at least for the vines. "But I believe it is about time I head on back to the Inn, and my cold, soft bed."

"It is late." She agreed, then paused. "Would you accept a map to my home?"

He started to make his way to the shore, grabbing his socks and shoes and putting them on, then taking the cane back into his hands. "Aye. I will."

Taking the same path, she found her belongings - searching within for a bit of paper she had prepared. Holding it out to him, then a pause. "If you do visit... it would be better to come alone. If you bring someone I do not know, the realm might not allow you. I would hate for you to find yourself walking in circles to no end." Then she extended the map out again.

A nod, at her words, as he slipped on his gloves, then took the map from her. "Fair enough, mate." He pointed toward the portal, still waiting on the beach in all of its translucent blue glory. "After you?"

Bag and shoes in hand, through the portal she went...
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday April 24, 2008 - End))

Stepping from the portal that led to Twilight Island, Izira had her high heel shoes and a bag in hand as she returned to the Red Dragon. A few people still remained, even at the late hour.

Locke was behind her, cane clicking on the ground. He was near the staircase and went around to the bottom of it. He turned to face Izira, then, a small smile on his face. "Have a perfectly pleasant remainder of your evening, Izira. I look forward to stopping by your home. And making the dragons with you."

Her smile was bright, a bow of her head. "I will, rest well Locke. Have cool dreams." A soft chuckle as she gave him a wave and started putting her heels back on again. A kind smile and nod to a woman in the inn that glanced her way, Izira made her way towards the door. It was time to go home.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday April 26, 2008 - Early Evening))

Izira had been out a lot lately. It was hard to catch her at the inn, she had even gone so far as to let some of the more experienced girls take over serving breakfast the last few mornings as she headed out early into her day. The business she was about wasn’t anything important, not to anyone but her that is. She had gone around visiting a number of locations once frequented so very long ago. Places that existed in memory that she wanted to see in reality once more. Everything had changed and yet some similarities remained. It was the same with her, she felt it. She was changed and yet not…

She approached the inn wearing a black top, wide v-neck collar that sat her shoulders and gave a more delicate view of her collar bone. It was not too low to be lewd, but it was lower than some of the other tops she went out in. It had caught her a few looks as she went around town, courteous looks of interest. A gray skirt that ended just below her knees with open-toe black heels completed the outfit. Her hair was down, covering some of her neck as more of her flesh was already in view.

Going into the inn, she paused with the door opened. Alain was on the bar a cocktail resting beside him. He was bent over a little black book. She hadn't seen him since Thursday night, when he left and she had remained in two until the late hours of the night. Of course she would bump into him at the place with so many eyes, where she couldn’t be herself. Almost feeling like leaving, she lingered before stepping inside and letting the door shut behind her.

He looked over his shoulder and smiled at Izira as he shut the book. "Hey."

"Hello, Detective." Izira couldn’t tell if she was playing at being distant from him as she was supposed to be doing, or if was it becoming a slow reality. Her smile was light, something Izira would give to anyone almost. She approached the bar, a glance towards a newcomer when he entered and made for the couch. That same smile given to Alain was offered to the man with a tail on the couch. Then the lady slipped through the break in the bar, to get herself a drink.

As she passed by, Alain mouthed ‘I want to see you tonight’, quickly, and then sipped his drink to cover the action.

Her gaze studied him but for a second. He wanted to see her. The thought brought mixed emotions to her mind. She knew she was pulling away, guarding herself. She felt badly doing it, as though he was going out of his way to hurt her. He wasn’t. She turned and got down a glass, filling it with water from the tap. Rumors be damned, she wasn't doing anything that caused her to worry about the possibility of falling pregnant. Glass filled, she turned and leaned her back against the back bar counter. A glance given towards the water clock, then back to Alain a brow was raised. "What time do you think a tender will be arriving tonight? I like to know when I will start being charged for drinks." looking away and around the inn again as she asked.

"Not until late," He responded, lips thinning some. "After midnight - so you and the nice bourbon will have plenty of time." A faint smile and he takes another sip of his drink.

She was quiet a moment, not looking back to him. Taking a sip of her drink she moved from behind the bar and back towards the patron's side. She didn’t really have a response for the hidden meaning of their exchange. Rather she settled on one for the conversation they appeared to be having on the surface. "Good to know." Tone light. She slipped onto a stool at the bar.

The door was pushed opened again. A rather large man stepping through slowly. A warm smile on his face, he made his way to the bar. Eyes only fixed on the seat ahead.

Alain offered the man a small nod. Finishing off his drink, he reopened the book and wrote more notes within it.

Her drink was set down on the bar top, a finger tracing the edge. Over her shoulder she glanced at the new comer.

Alain began to whistle while he wrote.

Looking back to Alain, "I have had one success recently."

The other man bowed his head generously and sat at the bar, adjusting his plate armor as he did so. “Good day.”

Alain’s whistling stops. He looks curiously at Izira for a second before the other called his attention away. "How's it going."

“I’ve had better days.” He said with a slight smirk. “And yourself?”

Izira gave the newcomer a polite smile, as Alain and he were engaged in conversation she did not continue with what she had been saying just yet. The man gave her a warm nod in return.

"Doing okay," Alain said, then his eyes went right back to Izira.

A brighter smile, her attention returned to Alain as she continued. "I managed to find this gossip rag so often refer to."

"Interesting piece of journalism. I read it daily, when I'm able."

"I don't know that I would read it so often, most mentioned I do not even know. Except for Eless, but I do not know her well enough to understand the gossip nature behind her life. I haven't seen the latest publishing."

"I find printed copies floating around all the time." He shrugged slightly. "It helps me keep tabs on who's frequenting the inn, who's slipping out of the limelight." Then he lit a cigarette. "Apparently Marc Franco's going to be in a dunking booth in Beltane - he mentioned that in his last update."

"That is the man behind it all? I should think that would be quite the event."

He grinned. "There'll be a long line of 'fans,' I'm sure. He's okay by me, but I wouldn't mind taking a shot and call it even from there."

She smiled softly, "Well, it's for a good cause? Don't such events usually end up providing something for charity?"

He dug the latest issue out of his pocket, unfolds it, and smoothed it out. "Ah - it's for the Boys and Girls Club of RhyDin."

"You have it on you?" A faint smirk, she held out her hand and he passed it over to her.

"I always find one floating around somewhere." Alain said.

The other man at the bar had gotten out a necklace, the flash against the surface catching Izira’s eye. A side long glance towards the man and his bracelet, then her attention was set to read the article. She was only a sentence in when moving eyes stopped as Alain’s name jumped out at her from further down the page. She skipped ahead, forgetting the talk of the dunk tank and charity work.

‘ Speaking of Awesome Alain, he’s definitely having fun with life as one of RhyDin’s most eligible bachelors! He’s been seen with the brunette twin Spice on several occasions and Wednesday night he was flirting it up with PAARTY Girl Chase! He’s certainly starting to adopt a type — young, frisky, and not at all looking for a relationship! The pair were actually seen leaving the Inn together in the late evening hours. Can you say “booty call”??? Well, well, well, they all are grown adults!'

Izira already knew the truth behind the incident with the Chase girl, though she did not know about the other the article mentioned. Was she one of the girls she’d seen with Alain or another? Either way, Alain was definitely seen as being available and ready for some fun. She guessed that meant she play her part, or played the role of not having a part in his life well.

"Popular man." It was hard to gauge her tone. It was near void of emotion. A smirk went to her lips, but not her eyes. She made an attempt to go back and read the rest but could not - passing it back to him. As a man and the girl Chase suddenly appeared in the inn with a poof. A white rabbit perched on the man’s head.

Alain took the paper back and tucked it away. "The inn has eyes." He words were simple. Izira caught both meanings behind them.

A pity it doesn't have a heart as well, Izira thought. Looking towards the newcomers as several followed the arrival of Chase, the dark man and the rabbit. Attention flickering back towards Alain. "That it does."

The dark man with the rabbit and girl laughed oddly, then addressed the rabbit on his head. The girl went off and got herself a drink. More people entered. Exchanges going around. Izira slide the water glass away from her. Speaking to Alain, "Could you dump this for me?"

"Sure. The tap water's not good for you, anyway." He dumped it in the sink.

The Chase girl nodded to Alain casually, then to Izira politely. Blue fingers saluted mockingly to them all.

There was almost a polite smile from Izira in return to the girl, but it froze at the mocking salute. She looked back at Alain, "How so?"

"It's probably a rumor, but there's a lot of talk linking it to pregnancy."

"I have heard that. It's not a current concern of mine." She was sleeping alone again after all. Standing up from her seat, Izira made ready to leave. A glance around, there was quite the number gathering and she felt the need to be surrounded in silence for a while. Gather her thoughts. "Have a good night, Detective." She didn't doubt he would, afraid he was enjoying certain aspects of his task at hand. Turning, Izira made her way to the door.

"You too, Izira." Faintly she heard his tongue ring clicks against his teeth.

Without so much as another look around, or a glance back - she left the inn.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday April 26, 2008 Midnight - Played in IM))

((The following post contains adult content.))

Alain enters through the front door of Forgotten Layers, at once finding a good place to put out his cigarette. He runs his fingers through his hair and looks around.

Izira is not in site, but soon the cat is. Silas, having been behind the bar, now jumps and rests upon it. Green eyes bright in the low light of the inn.

"Bonsoir, Monsieur Cat." He sighs, taking another look around. "Have you seen your mistress?"

~I have. ~ The cat sounded smug about it. ~Have you? ~

He doesn't say anything else to the cat, even resisting rolling his eyes. He just begins to search, starting with the kitchen.

The cat followed, ~You ask the wrong questions, boy. A pity for your line of work. Too deep in your games? Directness is a better virtue. ~

He pauses, and then looks over his shoulder. "Where's Izira?"

He sat down on his haunches. ~Out back in the garden. ~

"Thank you," he says, rubbing the top of his head briefly and moving on, out into the garden.

Izira was indeed in the garden, at a distance. She could have been missed but for the light the fire before her was casting, causing shadows to sway and move. From far away it was hard to tell what was going on. She was in a small circular clearing, sitting in the dry grass in the same clothing she wore earlier that day. A black top with a wide v-neck collar that sat her shoulders and gave a more delicate view of her collar bone was paired with a gray skirt that ended just below her knees and open-toe black heels. Upon approaching Izira, it would reveal she created small beings of fire that danced and played with one another in midair and around her hands like tiny fire nymphs.

He approaches carefully, and while there's still some distance, says to her, "Good evening." Bright blue eyes follow the creatures...

They were not real beyond Izira's imagination for them. When she looked up and saw Alain, they vanished from view in a quick flicker of dying flame. It took her eyes a moment to adjust to the new dark, and during that time she remained silent. Soon the light of the moon and stars replaced the glow from the dancing fire beings of before. "Has it been good?" She asked, curious and wanting to know. Her tone more of concern than judgment.

"As horrible as any other." He seeks to banish the darker thoughts from his mind, and offers his hand to her. "I know I have to... but still, I am sorry for treating you so coolly in public."

She took his hand, standing up and moving near him. Looking away, seconds of silence passed before she responded. "I should apologize to you. I am treating you coolly no matter where we are." Her eyes moved towards his, in them showed her sorrow and shame of it. It was hard for her to ignore that it hurt her, but she wanted to understand. Knew it wasn't his doing.

"I forgive you," he says. He doesn't say that she hasn't been doing it, since she has, but his words are not cool. His expression warms, and he moves closer to her, to encircle her with his arms and embrace her. "I know it can't be easy for you... it wouldn't be easy on anybody." He looks down at her. "Know that you, and you alone, Izira, have my heart."

She nodded softly, eyes lowered away him. Then looked up to him again, voice soft as she confided in him. "I fear for the rest of you, Alain. I can only imagine what this does to you, I am afraid it will turn you. Kill your heart from the inside out. I worry the game you play will get the better of you and I will be at a distance unable to help."

"...I will not turn to evil, there is no fear of that even in my own heart... My greatest fear now, simply, is that I will not live." He worries his lip. "...I have to admit, Izira... I do not expect to live to see the turning of the leaves in the fall. If I can live through this, no matter how small a piece of my heart I am left with, it will still be a miracle. Because I can still share that heart."

Hands upon his chest, they clutched him ever so tightly at the mention of his mortality. Voice caught in her thought, unsure of what pretty words she could say to chase that dark fear away. Tears faintly touched into her eyes. "Please tell me there is something I can do to keep that from happening. Anything, Alain, anything at all. I have lived through worse, I know I have. I do not want to lose you."

"If you can give your heart to me and keep the wall away... please do. Every hope I have, everything I have to look forward to... it all helps." His head lowers to kiss her temple and her cheek. "When it gets bad, I think about Esperance... I think about Jean... I think about this place... and I think about you, Izira. And it helps."

"It is hard, Alain, when I have to keep myself a distance from you in front of others." Truly it tortured her. He couldn't know the depth of the cruelty behind it, the games she had suffered being led to believe a lie. She was a logical woman, but it was hard for her mind to control those dark corners all the time. Sometimes she slipped, sometimes she lost faith. She pressed her cheek against his, closing her eyes. He was solid, he was there, and this was reality. Not the games they played.

"I know, Izira... I'm sorry." He hugs her tighter, holding her close to his chest, thick arms folded over her back.

"Do not apologize... it is what you must do." Lips landing with care against his cheek. Her arms moved up around his shoulders. She added, "I will sacrifice anything of myself I am able to help you in this."

"Just be there for me," is all he asks of her. He breathes a slow sigh, and at last the embrace loosens somewhat, hands resting on the crooks of her arms.

She gave a short nod. "Okay." A soft, warmed smile following.

He murmurs 'thank you' and kisses her, a sweet, gentle kiss, one hand moving to the back of her neck.

She returned the kiss in kind. Breaking away and looking into his eyes, her mood lighter.

He smiles at her, his storm clouds slipping away, and he presses his hands to hers between them, looking at them, then at her. "What were you doing with the fire earlier?"

"Entertaining myself." Her smile was almost shy at that.

"Will you show me?" He finds her shyness endearing - it shows in the widening of his own smile.

"Yes." She eased from his arms, as playing with fire near others was not the best of ideas. Palms facing towards the sky, they were held apart from one another. In her right hand the form of a girl appeared, noticeable by the shape of a flowing dress and long tresses of hair. In the other, a boy. The two tiny fire beings waved to one another, the girl tossing a small flower to the boy that he caught.

He finds a place to lean where he can watch, letting his worries slip away as he watches the elemental show.

Then with flower in hand, the boy took a leaping jump to the other hand just catching the edge of Izira's palm. With help from the girl, the boy found his footing and standing up returned the flower to the girl who shyly accepted. Rewarding the boy with a kiss to his cheek before the two vanished in a curl of flames together. "The end."

He folds his arms, lifting his chin to her. "If I bring you a flower, do I get the same?"

"It depends, are you stealing it from my garden?" Her smirk breaking into a wider, playful smile.

"It'd be pretty hard to lie to you, I suppose..." He drifts closer to her again, smiling. "What would I get for a dozen roses?"

"A dozen pecks to the cheek?" She offered in response with a soft chuckle.

"Tempting, to be sure." His hands return to her sides, and he takes another kiss from her.

Kiss returned. She remained close to him. "Or maybe I could borrow the lady's belly dancer costume and give you a show." Voice teasing.

"Ah... What color roses, then?" he asks just as teasingly, and kisses her a couple times more.

"You doubt my abilities at dancing? Or is it that you do not think she will share?" Smiling widely, "I like them in blue."

"Oh no, I already know you're a terrific dancer," he says, giving her lower lip a simple tug, and then backing off. Hey, it's springtime, so sue him. "The thought of you as a belly dancer..." That certainly makes him smile. "Well - can you?"

It was considered, before she responded. "It remains to be seen."

"Tease," he grins, and lowers his hands to her hands again. "I can't stay but another hour or two - I have a meeting before sunrise."

Entwining her fingers with his, she started back towards the inn. "Meetings in the dark..." She smile faintly, recalling some she read but the memory was not wholly clear.

"All a part of the game," he says with a faint sigh, though not a very sad or stressed one, returning to the inn with her.

Entering through the door that led to her study, she glanced over her shoulder as she moved towards her room.

He stays hand in hand with her, and looks between her and her bedroom door in silent question. Desire - it is communicated in his thoughts through their touch.

"You said you had an hour or two..." The side of her lips curve playfully as she backs into the room and pulls him in after.

He chuckles as he's pulled in after her, and moves at once into her arms to kiss her.

As before, in the kitchen, it started slow and undemanding. She eased him down to the bed with care, standing before him and undressing herself unhurriedly. The delicate smile she wore, watching his eyes upon her flesh, said she was ready for this. She moved into his arms, exchanging lingering kisses as their hands explored the other's body. That they could feel one another through the bond heightened the experience. As Alain laid her down upon her back, moving over her form, she found herself gazing deeply into his eyes. There was no need to say the words. They both felt the love the other felt in that intimate embrace...

Alain is curled around Izira's naked form in the quiet of the night. Hands slowly, gently exploring the curves of her body. Feeling the heat of her skin in the aftermath of their love making. He kisses at her neck, tasting her sweat on her skin. He kisses at her neck, tasting the sweat of her skin.

Stealing his lips for another kiss before pulling away. Fingertips gently ran through his hair. "Don't forget your meeting, Love."

He smiles at her in the darkness and begins to move towards the edge of the bed. "I haven't forgotten... wish I had," he mutters, one hand skimming over her thigh as he kisses below her navel, and straightens to get dressed.

She pulled a blanket up about her form as he started to dress. A flow of fire sent to the light near her bed, a dim light cast against his form. Izira settled on her side as she watched him casually put his clothes on again.

He smiles over his shoulder, sensing her watching after a bit - yeah, he looks a bit smug - and then finishes dressing. He leans over to kiss her forehead, then her lips, murmuring, I love you.

She returned his words softly, adding, "Be safe tonight, Alain."

"I will." She can feel the thought from him, the impulse - to crawl right back into bed with her. Instead he sates himself kissing her throat, then her lips once more... Revolvers secured in their holsters, he at last leaves the room.

The light dimming behind him until it is dark again. Izira curled up amongst the blankets that carries the lingering scents of their bodies, settling in to sleep for the rest of the night.

Silas sat waiting on the bar.

He enters the common room, pausing to light a cigarette for himself. When he spots Silas, he nods to him, greeting him as usual: "Monsieur Cat."

~Boy~ The cat's tail flick over the surface of the bar, green eyes intent upon him.

He keeps on crossing the room, though he does say, "Is there something you wanted to discuss?"

~When I want to talk, we will. ~ The feline assured him.

"Enjoy your evening," Alain says then, and departs.

The cat merely watched him go with narrowed eyes.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

Izira's Journal from Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Things between myself and Alain are good, if somewhat undeclared. I have come to accept that for now our feelings for one another are something we must keep to ourselves. At first I allowed the fear of betrayal to sink too deep within me, and I started to pull away from him. But I have confronted this and admitted as much to him. I cannot let my fear drive guilt into his heart, he is doing what he must and is at a great enough risk without my help.

It is enough to me to know that I have his heart. And since it is his wish, I will continue to keep him at a distance when we are beyond the realm.

But within the realm...

It is an experience like no other. Not merely for the feelings between us, but the bond that exists there as well. With each other it truly feels as though we are one.

This morning he came to the inn after being away for three days. He made us a picnic and we had lunch outside of his village. After eating, Spring nearly had her way with us but for the sudden risk of interruption.

He is gone now, back to work. I hope he remains safe.

I miss Eva.

And Locke hasn't come to visit yet.

Perhaps this weekend I will see more of my friends.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday May 1, 2008))

Alain had been somewhere within the Red Dragon. That much Izira knew, could sense through the bond. It was not the main room, either. She could see that much with her eyes. At first she played at being tender, like Paladin or Lucien seemed apt to do when at the inn. An eye kept on new comers and those that sat the bar. The inn was slower, but still had more regular business than her own.

She was dressed a touch nicer than she would have bothered with just staying home. The dress was white, fitted, hugging the smooth lines of her body. Collar styled wide and off the shoulders, it was low enough to expose her collarbone but not low enough to turn tasteful to lewd. The skirt of the dress was hemmed to end a few inches up from her knees and to match the expanse of revealed flesh she paired it with open-toe white heels. A criss-crossing, wide, black belt cinched the middle of the dress and further accented the dip in her hourglass figure. Hair gathered up in a styled twist, left the regal lines of her neck bare. Even a small matching purse was added to the outfit. All this… to tend bar.

Well, not entirely so. She had been to the inn earlier when Alain was within the main room and the results of her attire had been a touch more pleasing. Moving around to drink and talk, his eyes had followed her. Knowing they weren’t allowed to do anything in public didn’t stop her from wanting to remind what he had waiting for him in private. It worked. With the bond Alain had communicated his desire for her and pledged words to follow through on those need that night. Then, he left.

Izira had also made friendly with Tara earlier that day, the woman who had been wearing the belly dancer costume ‘for Alain.’ Watching and listening to her, Izira became less worried about the lady’s appetite for Alain. It looked as if the lady’s appetite ran quite the spectrum. Izira found her manner amusing and was even so bold to ask after a costume for herself. Alain had still been there at that time and she didn’t feel guilty in the least for her actions. When Tara said she would bring something for Izira later, Izira accepted the generous offer. Then, she too, made her way from the inn to return later.

Later, Izira had arrived to a mostly empty inn. Tara was not present and Alain not in sight. To pass the time she worked behind the bar. Eventually Tara returned, a box in had. It was a purple belly dancer’s costume, gifted with colored fabrics, bells and belly chains. As Izira had said to Tara… it was decadent.

When the Lady Eless arrived to work, Izira abandoned the bar and ended up in conversation with a gentleman befriended to Tara, a Lord Whimsy. He flattered. Smooth was his tongue with the few compliments he paid. He had even gone so far as to hint at getting Izira to go with him to Beltane on Saturday. She had the excuse of being unsure if she could attend, which was true enough.

The hour grew late as the inn started to fill. Alain was still somewhere… his room? Someone else’s? Izira discarded the idea of waiting for Alain to maybe escort her home. Bidding her farewells to those she knew and had just that evening met. Gift box and purse in hand, she headed home.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursday May 1, 2008 - Night))

Izira had managed the walk home alone without incident. Entering into the inn, she made for a nearby table. Gift box and purse set down, Izira sat down in a chair. As slow exhale was released, but even that did nothing to cut back on the tension she felt. It would have been better if she had seen Alain before she left. Or if she could convince her mind to stop pacing the same paths it was running. When she had seen him last he was leaving the inn. To what end, she didn’t know. When she returned he was there but somewhere upstairs? It could have been nothing…

The thought was pushed away only to regain hold once more. If he left the inn, why would he come back to go upstairs? He had a place to sleep at the Silver Mark. He had a place to sleep here and more reason to do so. Maybe it wasn’t about what he wanted? Maybe it was the job? Maybe… he wasn’t alone.

Izira sighed, dropping her forehead into upturned palms. “It was nothing.” The verbal confirmation repeated quickly in her head. Perhaps repetition could help convince herself? Even if it was something it meant nothing. She had his heart.

As his mistress sat immersed in her internal struggle, the cat made his way up to her. From where he came, he could not be seen and even then not quite known. But there he was, all the same, hopping from floor to chair and then from chair to table top. Settling down on his hind legs and into a sitting position, he waited for her interior thoughts to slow. When that didn’t work, he broke in.

~Are you done yet?~

“Go away, Silas.” Sometimes Izira wished that the cat was just a cat. At times he didn’t feel like a pet at all, and in truth he really wasn’t. A companion of sorts, yes, but Izira knew she wasn’t in fact his owner. She didn’t lift up her head, merely spoke at him while moving her hands to her temples and looking at the table surface under her face.

~No.~

He was a bastard at times. Izira responded with silence. Either he would go away or have it out. Almost a minute passes before the feline moved, bumping his head into hers. Another sigh, she should really know better by now. Sitting up again, she propped her chin like a bored child in class. “What?”

~It’s your own fault.~

This statement was answered by a slight narrowing of Izira’s eyes. If the feline caught her annoyance, it didn’t faze him in the least. Looking at her with unblinking, bright green eyes until her attention wavered from them and off to the side with a blink. Satisfaction filled the air about the cat that was more than a cat. He continued.

~I can hear you in your head there, worrying over this boy and his games.~

“And it’s my fault, is it? Why do you even care? I can sense he bothers you.”

~We are not discussing me now. We are discussing you and how it is your fault, which it is.~

Chastised, Izira stayed quiet and readied to listen. One way or another she would hear something from the cat, doing it voluntarily was probably the best way to go.

~What do you even know about the business this boy of yours is up to?~ A pause lingered, Izira opened her mouth and was promptly cut off, ~Next to nothing!~

A grumble in her mind, she gave up on speaking.

Your point?

~You have a lot still to learn.~ When he was met by no disagreements, he continued. As he spoke, the inn and their bodies seemed to diminish and darkness encircled the essence of the two that remained. It was not a sinister darkness, but a freeing one. Weightless and unbound, she listened. ~Not all knowledge worth having is given, my Izira. You pick at something without understanding because you are in the dark and keep yourself there willingly.~ Izira knew it for truth and felt shamed. Somewhere in that which was between them, his comfort was offered. ~Once you were Mastered by a man.~ The Wizard. In this place she did not flinch, she had no fear of him or that time. ~He kept you ignorant. It was not your fault, then. But, there is no need to be ignorant now.~

In that darkness Izira took his words to heart. She didn’t waste time second-guessing if the stuff with Alain had started too soon, too quickly. The point of doing that was mute. Her heart was involved and she could not change that, but she did have the power to change how she was starting to feel. What did she know about the situation? …Evil men, a possible need for intimacy with others and the fear of others knowing the intimacy between them. Silas was right, she knew next to nothing. Knowledge was power and she had left herself powerless again. In the darkness she felt him chuckle, that which surrounded them was filled with his amusement and pride. Thank you, she offered to him.

It was done, she knew. No other words came. The last moments in that place ended the same. There was nothing to be seen but she felt him. Soft lips pressed against her forehead, a faint sweep of manly whiskers. A beard? Izira imagined it was silver and grey…

When her eyes opened, she was alone in the inn. Silas was gone and would be for a while now. It was rare for them to speak in such a way, when they did it comforted her. Looking at the clock, only seconds had gone by. She collected her purse and the gift box from the table and made her way to her rooms, thinking she might as well change clothes.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Thursda May 1, 2008 - Night Continued))

((The following post contains some adult language.))

It's late, though not very. Close to midnight, and Alain makes his way into Izira's rooms, bouquet of blue roses and other smaller blue and white flowers in hand. He pauses and breathes a slow sigh, rubbing at the back of his neck. This is going to take a lot of explaining...

She appeared to be already in a mood for listening. Out in the sitting area of her personal study, she was placed comfortably in one of the couches that offered a view of the door that led to the hall. Having changed out of the dress from earlier, she wore a casual black silk pajama set of pants tied together at her hip and a button up top. Hair let down but brushed away from her face. Amber-browns studied the door as she felt Alain's arrival. What she had been doing before then wasn't apparent, unless she'd been watching the door the whole time.

"Hey," he says to Izira, once he spots her. He smiles faintly... but there's a lot on his mind, and feels there's a lot on hers, too. He moves to sit by her side, offering her the flowers with a gentle, "We should talk - there's a great deal I have to explain."

She took the flowers. They were beautiful but not much for a distraction from her current thoughts. She stood, moving over towards a cabinet. Bare feet padded near silently as she moved. A vase taken out and the flowers placed on a table before a long window. "There's a great deal I want you to explain, Alain. It is good we are of equal minds in this." A delicate touch to the flowers as she organized them.

"...I'll start with... God, I barely know where to begin..." He considers, bowing his head not in shame but honestly in thought. "...I work for the Bloods. They're a... loosely political group, based largely in the West End, and they're enemies with the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe." Lips twitch towards a smile. "Ridiculous as the name is, they're truly evil men. Demons, actually, who ally themselves with murderers and others to see to their own ends - they dupe people into blood contracts so they can own their souls. The Bloods set me up to infiltrate them... and that's why they changed my psyche." He looks up at her. "Greed, lust, and a hunger for power. That's what psions see when they read the surface of my thoughts, because it's what DCH needs to see in order to trust me... in order to believe that they can use me, and I'm not doing this for some nobler purpose." He purses his lips. "Our bond, I think it sort of bypasses this barrier - so you don't get to see those decoy emotions."

She had been listening, still standing near the flowers. His words were taken in and digested as she moved back to the couch. The arm chair was selected to settle in, instead. Legs crossed. Eyes him, her expression was thoughtful. "Is the decoy affecting you in any way?"

"When my thoughts grow still and nothing occupies me, which is thankfully rare... they torment and tempt me like an inner demon." He shakes his head. "But I have not given into them. ...They grow stronger when I'm near those demons, though. Mister Howe likes to talk at great length, the meetings are torture, really," followed by a humorless chuckle. He clears his throat slightly. "DCH believes I keep a cadre of women, that my sexual pursuits are my top priority, and that I need the money they give me to keep those women happy." He looks at her again. "Best I can tell, the purpose of that is two-fold - it may lead them to believe there's no one I care about, and also to believe they can easily control and manipulate me."

"The reason you might have to be with others, then? To satisfy this view of you this Mr. Howe and his demons have? That is why you could not promise nothing would happen between you and another." Her frown was only through trying to understand.

He nods. "However, I'm trying to very carefully gather around me women who know my intent, who know I'm deep undercover, to make sure I'll never have to truly go beyond a little PDA." He sighs softly. "Because I don't want to hurt any of these women... and I don't want to hurt you, Izira."

A slow nod that she understood his idea, though she turned away and looked to the side in asking, "How many women do you have thus far?"

"Only two. Belial... and more recently, Serena." His lips thin. "In public, Serena's agreed to be my casual girlfriend... but I'm paying the price for it." He rubs his forehead. "In private, she makes me look at catalogues. Clothing catalogues, Izira. …To properly spend the DCH money on her." Apparently he's not terribly happy with this arrangement

That brought her attention back to him. There was a warning in her eyes.

He puts his hands up. "I'm very sorry about this, Izira. It's not out of any feeling for her - there's none. She volunteered and fit the bill because... well, it's sort of complicated, but her soul is already owned by another being... so there's no risk of DCH laying claim to it."

She shook her head. Standing, she almost raised her voice... almost let emotion take over. The moment she reigned herself in and forced calm was noticeable. When she spoke, her voice was the same calm. "Never mind that I am only just now getting the details of your work when it seems others already had it. I will blame myself for that… for not asking you tell me in full sooner." A short pause, then she continued. "I do not like this casual girlfriend answer. Even if it fits some bill. You said yourself these men expect you to have a horde of women not a girlfriend. That her soul might not be at risk might suite you and her... does that protection extend to her body as well?" Again she shook her head. "A girlfriend and a casual closeness to this, Belial? You put your trust in others and kept me at a distance for comfort's sake."

"I kept you at a distance to keep you safe," he protests, frowning. "And she says her protection leaves her completely safe." He rubs at his forehead. "She can be a girlfriend, a lover, a f**k-buddy, it really makes no difference, I'd treat her the same in public... and honestly I'm falling behind on this 'cadre' thing. I know Mister Howe's gotten suspicious because he sent one of his employees after me to spy on me. It's not a matter of not trusting you, Izira - I do trust you - these are just women I trust to do their job well lest Mister Howe have any more reason to think something's up and start looking for someone I might actually care about." On the word 'care,' his eyes move directly to her. "I trust you completely, Izira. I just don't want you getting hurt."

"I don't want to be at a distance anymore, Alain. Being in the dark in this... it's not good for me." Her eyes that had been on him look away again, but it does not appear that she is looking away from him... but towards something in the distance that only she can see. A part of her wondered when Silas would return. Then she looked back to Alain. "I want to be in your horde."

He lets out an immense sigh, placing his head in his hands. Just like Serena, Izira's made her case, and she's right - but this is a woman he loves. "If they catch me, and they figure you out... they'll try to use you against me..." He shakes his head. "I don't want them hurting you, especially not on my account." But there's a resignation in his tone. He knows she's won.

She stood up moving to him, a comforting hand held against his jaw. Her eyes gazed into his. Through the bond and those amber-browns she expressed her awareness of his concern. Her appreciation for it, as well. He was right, however, she was determined. Lips were placed against his softly. If he's caught? If they came to her? If she was hurt? She would not worry about those fears of his unless they happened.

His arms encircle her slowly, lingering in the kiss, breaking it to say to her, "Promise me you will be careful, and act very carefully and precisely. The way we've been together here at your inn, the way we are right now... we can't be that way at the Red Dragon Inn. I love you, Izira... but we can betray no sign of it to these demons." One hand rises to stroke her cheek and trace the gentle curves of her face.

"I promise, Alain." Watching his eyes, feeling that soft touch against her cheek. "I will be just one of the many women to grace your bed." Silent as she considered a thought and then continued, "Am I allowed to meet your others?"

"If you would like to," he nods softly. "Though I have told none of them, not even the Bloods who put me into this position in the first place, what you truly mean to me."

"You do not need to tell them now. But I would like to meet them, yes." Then giving the faintest of a smile. "Thank you for telling me, Alain. I needed to know what was going on."

He brings her to sit in his lap, his hands covering hers, and he kisses her temple. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

Leaning into him, she closed her eyes. Comfort taken. Then, eyes opened and glanced towards him. "Would it help if I made myself seen with someone else?"

He thinks... there is a twinge of jealousy, but after it is set aside, he shakes his head faintly. "I honestly think it would make no difference... They need only to see that I'm juggling women."

She was relieved. If it had been needed, it could be accomplished even if it wasn't something she really wanted to need to do. "Okay." Leaning to him and giving him a soft kiss.

He returns her kiss, hand drifting to scratch her back lightly. After some moments of silence, a grin begins to form. "Out of pure academic curiosity, did Tara give you a costume?”

"She did. I might wear it to Beltane Saturday and dance with her. If she can be convinced." Taking his free hand in hers and entwining their fingers. "I think Lord Whimsy, if he is there, would assist in convincing. Will you be there?"

"On Saturday, I'll try to be there." He smiles, raising their hands to kiss her fingers, one by one. "Who's this Lord Whimsy?" Curiosity driven by the strangeness of his name.

"A friend of Tara's." She smiled at the kisses. Though, recalling the man's flattery, she continued, "He attempted to gain my company to the event. I told him I did not know that I would be making it there."

"Then maybe it can be arranged for me to pick you up at the Beltane dance..." His smile turns a bit more mischievous, his hand straying to stroke along her stomach. "...And give me another dance in private."

A soft chuckle, she leaned her forehead to his. A quick kiss, "For free? Now that I hear you are buying girls gifts?" Smiling to him wildly. There wasn't anything more that she needed than she had right at that moment...
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

[[Original Post put up by Luna Eva]]

((Friday May 2, 2008 - Early Morning))

((*Note: This post follows Lex Talionis))

Eva was exhausted. The drugged sleep she'd gotten was hardly restful. But she just kept putting one foot in front of the other, until she was walking up the path to the Forgotten Layers Inn. The bruises on her face and neck had gone from red to dark purple. She hesitated on the porch, peeking in through the window. She didn't want to make a scene at Izira's inn. But it was quiet still. The early side of dawn. Eva pushed through the door, and crossed quickly and quietly through the main room towards the door that Eva remembered led to Izira's quarters. With a moment of hesitation, Eva raised her hand and knocked softly.

"A moment!" Izira called, sounding to be somewhere in her bedroom. A moment it was, before the sound of her heels could be heard carrying across the floor. She seemed to be fixing her hair as the door opened, revealing Izira in the usual skirt/blouse combo. A white blouse, black skirt and black closed-toe heels. The smile she was wearing to greet whoever had come calling faltered as she took in Eva's face. There was an angry stillness suddenly living just beneath the surface of Izira's visage. Her voice came out calm, "Eva. What happened."

Eva stared at Izira, already so well put together for the day, and found she didn't even know where to begin. She pushed a hand through her messy hair, as if she could make herself look more presentable. "I... I need a place to stay for a little while. Izira..." She released a shaky breath and tugged at her zippered sweatshirt.

Instantly the hardness of her left, friends before anger. Izira reached out an arm to Eva, to pull her close. "Of course, of course." Guiding Eva inside the study, she closed the door behind them, and further went towards the couches that were on the far right end of the room. "You can stay here as long as you need, as long as you want, Eva."

Relieved to get out of the hallway, Eva followed Izira inside. "It... it looks worse than it is." She reached beneath her sweatshirt and tugged open the holster secured around her waist, setting it on a table beside the couch, gun and all.

"Someone has hurt you, I do not see how much worse it could look." Izira voiced. Eyes moved from her friend to the bit of metal she'd taken out and then back again. She was doing well to remain calm and it was good that Alain had helped her with her little fire problem already or else she might have been a ball of fire from the moment she saw the marks on Eva's face.

Eva looked at her, then without being invited sunk onto one of the couches. She bent over on her knees and rubbed her face with her hands, then winced. "It's really complicated... Tucker..." Eva didn't know where to go with that so she just trailed off, and closed her eyes for a moment.

Tucker? Izira's eyes flickered over the marks on Eva. No, the marks were big but they were not big enough to be the tender's. But he was involved, that much was plain by Eva's stating of his name. "He caused this?" A hand motioned towards Eva's face and neck. Izira didn't sit. She would listen, but she was not ready to sit.

Eva knew it was a secret. What Tucker did at night was a secret. No matter how angry she was at him, she couldn't bring herself to reveal it. She opened her eyes again, and looked up at Izira. "He ran afoul of some... people. They used me to threaten him." Her eyes filled with tears. "I went to see him... Tucker... and we got into a fight."

Brow knitted, Izira took a few steps in thought. Pausing, arms were crossed before her as she regarded Eva. She was thinking, wanting to word her question appropriately. "Are you here to get away from those 'people' or Tucker?" Then lowering herself down, a hand on her friend's knee. Again she prompted, "What happened? The whole story."

"I don't know. I don't know." Eva shook her head looking at Izira, trying her hardest to stay composed. "I can't tell you everything... Tucker wouldn't want it... I can't."

"What Tucker wants is not a concern of mine." Her tone made it solidly clear. If the man were there now Izira would have a good number of choice words for him. But Izira knew she could not force Eva to tell her anything she did not want to. She stood up again, with a sigh. "Would you like to take a shower or a bath?" Izira knew, sometimes it helped to purge the skin.

Eva looked at her. For some reason Izira's anger at Tucker drained her own. She felt the need to defend him somehow, but she didn't have the energy to argue, certainly when she was refusing to tell Izira the whole story. She sighed heavily and then nodded. "A shower would be great. And maybe a change of clothes... if I can trouble you."

"You have my entire wardrobe at your disposal." Said with a short wave of hand, Izira waited for Eva to get up and follow, before leading her into her bedroom. Indicating the closet and standing armoire. "You will find clothing in there and there." Then into the bathroom, a lavender and vanilla scented haven. She went to the floor to ceiling shower, showing Eva how to work the dual shower heads that poked out from either side. Towels and washcloths set inside for her, "I will be in the study when you're finished."

Eva was too tired to appreciate anything but Izira. She turned to look at her before she left the room and smiled faintly. "Izira... thank you."

A quiet nod, Izira removed herself to give Eva privacy. Gather her thoughts. Cry, scream. Whatever was needed. As stated, she removed herself to the study and took up one of the couches there as she waited.

Eva avoided the heat on her face and neck, but she let the hot water wash away the stress and exhaustion from the rest of her body. She closed her eyes and tried to disappear, just for ten minutes. But when she opened her eyes she was still where she was. Everything was the same, nothing had changed. She dried off and started searching Izira's closet. Did she have anything that wasn't... pretty? Did she even own a pair of pants!? Eva sighed and hung her head for a moment. Then she reached for a black skirt and a loose fitting black shirt. At least she could still wear her gun. In that outfit she stepped into the study.

Izira sat, comfortably in a chair given the situation. She had pulled down a book to read while she waited, but with Eva's return the book was closed and Eva's condition once again assessed. The outfit wasn't too bad.

"Thank you." Eva fidgeted with the hem of the shirt and looked at her. "I feel better." Her hair was still damp around her face. Eva hesitated for a moment, then sat down on the couch opposite her.

"That is good." The closed book being set aside, "Did you have enough time to consider what details you are going to share with me? What I am going on at this moment is that Tucker doesn't play nice with others, so they returned the favor in kind on you.. and that this... incident sparked an argument between the two of you." She leaned back, thinking before adding, "It would be best if you tell me what you can. I haven't had many chances to test how well I control my anger and it would be a pity for us to find out when I next see Tucker exactly how far I've come along with my anger management issues... or not."

Eva met her eyes, her temper lighting up out of control. "I think I've been threatened enough today, Izira."

Izira's voice was calm and slow. "I am not threatening, Eva. Do not think I would stoop that low. We have not had much time to speak with one another about our histories. My temper has been deadly in the past." There was no lie to that. It had not been understated and it was not given to just one incident. "You made the choice to come here Eva. You can tell me as little as you want, but if Tucker says something to me--catches me off guard." She looked away, she didn't seem to like it anymore than Eva did. "I don't know how I will handle it or if I can." Then looking back to her friend, "It is not a threat Eva, it is a request for valid reasons."

Eva immediately softened and lowered her head apologetically. "I'm sorry." She shook her head and sighed. "I'm sorry... you didn't deserve that." Eva pushed a hand through her damp hair and took a deep breath. "No matter what... no matter what I say, if you can, I don't want you to act on it. I... can take care of myself and fight my own fights... and I certainly don't want you to tell anyone else... can we agree to that?"

"I can agree to not tell anyone else and to try to play nice with others." A short nod.

Eva smiled faintly at the way Izira phrased that and nodded. Then she told her. She had told Izira before about the kind of work she did, about the kind of patients she treated, but she took the time to remind her. Then she described what happened the night before, how she was threatened, how she was injured, and made it clear that she didn't know how Tucker was involved with that sort of person. She recounted their confrontation, saying that Tucker never really outright said it, but that she understood he was some sort of vigilante. She told Izira that they fought about it, mostly about him keeping it from her, and that when she tried to leave, Tucker had slipped her a sedative. Eva's voice was flat and empty as she spoke, as if she were explaining what happened to other people. "I don't know where he is, but I wasn't going to sit around waiting for him."

Izira remained in check while Eva told the story. The details were solid enough that she didn't question them further. That one hurt while the other healed highlighted where their relationship problems might have started, it seemed Tucker was aware of it while Eva had been left in the dark. Izira was not happy with Tucker's bumbling of things, but she was certainly less likely to go for blood. Still, he'd been lowered in her eyes. She shook her head, "He's off slaying dragons." A pause, "You said he was still bleeding? How much action could a wound like that take?" Not that it wouldn't serve him right.

"Slaying dragons?" Eva frowned. Then it dawned on her. "Oh god..." She shook her head, worry furrowing her brow. "I don't know... I mean... I didn't see it, but... he probably wouldn't bleed out or... or get faint... but... I imagine it would restrict some movement..." She scrubbed her face again with her hands.

"Would you be alright if I went and checked out your apartment? If clothes are missing we can safely assume that is what he did, if not... I can at least bring you a pair of jeans back."

Eva sat up a bit and shook her head immediately. "No, Izira. No. This is my problem, I don't want to send you into the middle of it. It's not safe."

"I will not fight you over it. Your are not my princess to protect, after all. But I didn't know if you would be up to going back... and I would prefer to be with you, if you insist on doing so yourself. Far as safety goes, these men sound little more than brutes. I know I can handle brutes."

Eva sighed and sat silently for a moment. She was afraid for Izira going by herself and afraid for Tucker out there doing god knows what. Though the shower had helped, she could feel exhaustion in every part of her body. Her voice was just above a whisper as she finally responded to Izira, the tone like a confession. "I was having trouble keeping my eyes open on the walk over." Eva rubbed her face again, blinking back the tears that threatened. "I don't want you to go alone, but I can't go with you."

Izira stood and set a hand on Eva's shoulder. "Stay. Rest. I won't be gone long," Izira intoned.

Eva provided her friend with the keys to her apartment, and then embraced Izira in a tight grateful hug before letting her go. Once she had gone, Eva climbed into Izira's bed and tried to get her worry-filled mind to rest.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Wednesday May 7, 2008 - Late Afternoon/Early Evening))

Locke had received the notice that Izira wanted him to drop by the Forgotten Layers Inn as soon as he had returned to his room at the Red Dragon Inn, following his vacation in Port Leicester to visit his family. As soon as his luggage was unpacked, and he had put on suitable clothing for the journey, he set out for the realm. He wore a light blue dress shirt with white vertical stripes, a black tie with white patterned dots, black dress pants with equally dark patent leather dress shoes and belt. Messenger bag slung over his shoulder, he held the map in both hands as he started to walk out of the city and into the wilderness outside the city. He couldn't see the shifts in worlds, but the map clearly assured him there was a byzantine path between realms that was present, if he only kept following the directions correctly. After a hefty amount of walking, he was where he was supposed to be. The Forgotten Layers Inn. His feet crunched on the gravel path as he headed towards the porch. Before knocking on the door, he took a moment to examine his settings. Hmm...An ebony leather gloved hand rapped a rhythm on the wood. "Shave and a hair cut..."

It was unusual for someone to knock, the place being an inn and all. The musical intoned rap brought Izira from her thoughts and eyes moving towards the door. It had been a while since she had seen anyone, days. No Alain, no Eva... more so, no Silas. It wouldn't be any of them behind that door, none of them had ever made of habit of knocking. She pushed off the stool behind the bar, the click of her heels following as she made for the front door. As was to be expected by now, the lady was dressed to impress. One could wonder who it was she was dressed to impress as she had only expected the day to pass by herself. Hair pulled back in a smart French twist, a silver comb for a touch and to keep everything in place. Her dress was black, the top fitted satin with inch thick straps. The skirt and a simple belt of a different fabric but same color as also shaped to her form. Black, closed-toed heels matched to the outfit. She opened the door. It wasn't cautiously done, either. Many years in the realm without threat gave her no reason to be so. A polite smile formed, it turned into a true smile as Locke was revealed to be her visitor. "Locke! A pleasure to see you, please come in." Stepping out of the way so that he could do so. "I hope the walk wasn't too difficult."

"No worries, mate. I needed a spot of exercise after the last few lazy days I had on holiday." Locke stepped inside, sweeping his gaze across the room he had entered. To him, it seemed rather...mundane. The usual array of tables, chairs, booths, bar, and fireplace were not unexpected. The stage was a small surprise, though, as was the silver cage hanging from the ceiling. After examining the layout, Locke tried to see if there was anybody else there quickly, before turning his eyes back on Izira. "It is excellent to see you as well, Izira. You are faring well, I hope?"

Locke should be sure not to overlook the many books and random trinkets collected from various realms and worlds. The birds would have been an interesting sight, but they were off on a hunt. Izira's response to Locke was evasive. How she was had been changing with her mood and thoughts the last several days and it had become a slow irritation that her confidant had not returned yet to his feline form. "I fare, more or less. I suspect you are well, having the energy for travel after returning home." The door was released behind them and she stepped further into the room with a gesture towards the bar. "Need anything? A drink or food?" They were indeed the only two about, but still there was always something ready for serving. The place had a magic about it in that regard... and others.

"Ice water, perhaps? I am supposed to tend bar this evening, so I suppose I shouldn't tipple too much." The books and trinkets were noted after a little while, but none seemed to immediately catch his eye. "I am well physically and confused mentally, to be perfectly honest with you. I probably would have gone to the duels, had I not received your letter first. Nothing cleanses the soul, mate, like having the bloody hell punched out of you." He chuckled a bit at his comment, though he fully expected Izira not to appreciate it. His love for the duels, while not masochistic, definitely bordered on self-destructive at times, and he wasn't quite sure she'd appreciate that.

A nod to his drink request, she turned and made for the bar followed by the click of her heels. It was a gentle sound, not the stomping of someone unused to wearing heels. She moved with easy grace, taking a glass down, filling it with crushed ice and then clear, fresh water. Sparkling glass placed on the bar top between them. A soft chuckle at his words, "I could always knock you around for a few." Smiling up to him before looking away and towards the inn at large. Truly she probably couldn't get into hitting Locke, but there was something inside of her that wanted release. Casual smile back to Locke, hoping she didn't put him off with her response.

He leaned up against the bar top casually, taking the glass of water in hand and sipping it. "Thank you most kindly mate." The comment on fighting him, however, led Locke to arch an ice-white eyebrow at Izira. "You want to ruck with me? I usually don't strike ladies unless they strike first, or unless we are both inside one of the dueling rings. And I remember what the GangSTAR said, the last time I showed up all bruised and battered for my shift...I would hate to see what he would write this time." Talk of Marc Franco instinctively led him to straighten up his posture. He loved the attention of the pink-haired gossip-monger.

"No need," In remark to his changing posture. "The gossip man has no eyes here." A quirk of a smile, she gave her head a light shake and moved away from the bar to take down a crystal flute. Turning it in hand to reflect the light as she spoke, "Far as fighting goes... it was more a jest than anything. I feel a need for... something, but I cannot find the energy to direct to it." A soft sigh. "Honestly I have been feeling a little lost of late myself." The flute was placed on the bar, she moved to fetch a black bottle that was kept within a locked cabinet all by itself. Red wax topped and sealed it.

Locke took a seat at the bar, his irises tracking Izira as she moved to get a glass and then a bottle of...liquor, he presumed? "Indeed. I tend to approach my problems like a bull in a china shop, savvy? No quarter, no mercy, no prisoners. So when a problem comes along that is...complicated, and requires some tact, I am often at a bloody loss. And then I tend to take out my frustrations in less...socially acceptable ways." He paused briefly, before canting his head in her direction. "Lost. How so?"

"I feel like there is something I need to do, but I do not for the life of me know what it is." Her smile was near apologetic for the vagueness. She preferred to think she had her head about herself and was ready for anything. Well, in a way she was ready... she just didn't know what for. The bottle in hand, heat came from her to melt the wax seal. Pouring a portion into the flute, the liquid came out red and roiling like living lava. It smelled of hot cinnamon and spice with a cloying sweetness at the edge of it. "It's good you came, Locke. I was afraid we would have time to try making the dragons."

Locke's nose daintily sniffed at the air as Izira poured her beverage, but he made no note of it otherwise, nor did he attempt to press her further on her first statement. Before responding to the latter comment, he drank some more water, and then set the glass on the table. "It is good to be in a place where things aren't so bloody tense all the time. I am looking forward to attempting to make those dragons. Did I tell you I tried to do...whatever elemental control it was that you did when you touched my hands?"

That caught her interest. As the wax crawled up and resealed the bottle, she smiled with positive support. "Did you have much success? I have to admit, I haven't had much experience with other elemental beings." Turning, the bottle was tucked away safely once more. Izira reclaimed the seat behind the bar with her glass in hand, the liquid it in still in movement. A short sip taken, her eyes closed with enjoyment at the taste. It had been a few months since she had partaken of it. When her eyes opened there was a quick flicker of flames in those amber-brown irises.

He looked a bit sheepish, lowering his head a touch as he replied. "Yes and no. I decided to turn on the burners on one of the gas stoves in the kitchen of the Inn. Took my gloves off and...Converted the flames into something chillier. It worked for a little while, and then I got distracted. Burnt the flesh on my hands, right before the Panther's Claw tournament. Pretty much shot myself in the foot there." He twisted the corner of his lip up into something resembling a rueful gesture, before taking another sip of water. A glance over detected the shift in Izira's eye colors, but he was still being somewhat tactful at that point.

She grinned wider, a bit more relaxed already from her earlier worries. "You need to be more careful with yourself. It is good it was only a hand and a quick burn you suffered." The glass was set down, eased away from her a touch. Her attention moving towards his hands curiously and with concern, "Are you healed now?" She couldn't really heal anyone else, but she could care about it in general. Watching his hands to be sure, as some folks like to play down that which pains them.

With the leather gloves on, it was nearly impossible to tell if he had any bandages on underneath. Probably not, but one could never tell... He shrugged his shoulders. "I am faring far better now than I was before. I have suffered far worse injuries and lived to tell the tale." He glanced toward the front door, then back at Izira. "Were you ready to work on those dragons now or would you prefer to finish your beverage first?"

A nod at his assessment. She couldn't see through his gloves, she'd have to trust his words on it. Waving towards the flute, "It will keep." She slid off the stool once more and onto her feet. "Outside would probably work best, at the fountain so you may have a source of water." There were little ponds in the back, but they had fish and little frogs at times living in them... she didn't know if the ice would be problematic to them.

He hopped to his feet, leaving his half-finished glass of ice water behind. He headed for the front door, opened it, and held it for her, sweeping his other hand in an exaggerated fashion toward the opening. Still, there was nothing but sincerity in his voice when he spoke. "After you."

"You have my thanks, Sir Locke." A twist to her smile in amusement, she went down towards the fountain and perched upon the ledge of the stone wall. Legs crossed and fingertips dipping into the surface of the water. "Will you want to see what you can create? I would bet you didn't practice creation on your little vacation..."

Locke followed behind her as she approached the fountain. With two quick, effortless tugs, he removed each of his gloves, putting them in his back pocket. He crouched near the ledge, rolled up his sleeves to reveal pale blue forearms, cupped his hands together and dipped them into the water. His eyes shut for a second, as he deftly worked to transfer the water into one hand, then to shape the water into a ball of ice. When his eyelids finally fluttered back open, he saw what he had created, and smiled. The sphere was slightly lopsided, but it was smooth and slick and frozen. He tossed it lightly in his light hand, grinning all the while. "I haven't practiced too much mate, but I have practiced enough that I feel that the lessons I was previously taught are starting to sink in a touch more."

"Then I am pleased our time was not wasted." Eyeing the semi-lopsided orb of ice, an idea coming to her head. "Do you think dragons would be too much as of yet? The party if set for Saturday and I do not know if we will have enough time." Lifting a hand and pointing at the orb, "But this current trick of yours gives me an idea."

He tossed the ice ball back into the water, letting the spring heat melt it back to water. He canted his head curiously at Izira. "I'm all ears. Well, you know what I mean." A quick point at the pointed blue tips, then an impish grin.

Holding her hands up in demonstration, "We could make lanterns. But of ice-shaped orbs with fire visuals within them to light the party." It might have been amusing to watch her hand display her thought as though words themselves would fall short. He looked up at him to gauge a reaction.

If it was possible, his smile brightened there. He wasn't offended at all in the slightest by any implication that his talents might not be up for the task of making dragons. "Sounds aces to me, mate. Tell me what to do, and I will certainly do it."

"It would be best to work together, if you don't mind?" Reaching out her hands to him... she paused, "Do you think we should get in the water?" Giving it a look, she considered that they could dip their hands it... but it might be a bad angle for either of them to sit at.

He didn't bother to respond to her comment. He cuffed his dress pants first, before slipping off his right shoe, then the black sock on it, revealing a bare blue foot. He dipped his right big toe in the water, and then stepped in fully. That done, he finally removed his left shoe and sock and immersed both feet in the liquid. Seemingly forgetting about his chill touch for a moment, he extended his left hand toward Izira, a touch of a smirk on his face. "Come on in, the water's fine."

She smiled and laughed shortly. "Does your presence make it colder though?" Quickly taking off her heels, the dress was at her knees and at no risk unless she purposely went swimming. Taking his hand and stepping into the fountain with bare feet, a few droplets from the falling water landing near them. Her smile went even wider once she was standing in the fountain. "I feel like a youngling."

Indeed, the water was a bit chillier than it might have been, had Locke not been standing in it, but he was doing his best through subtle magics not to freeze the water as he touched it with his feet. He glanced down at Izira's hand as she took it, withdrawing before his cold touch could hurt her (though whether or not it did was another matter entirely). "Aye. It is good to have fun like this, innit? Do you ever feel like your life is too complicated, mate?"

"Near always as of late." It didn't seem the cold touch ever bothered her, as though her body was already familiar to the frozen sensation held in his hands. Her freed hand brushed through her hair, she canted her head and gave him a thoughtful look. "Have you noticed that our meetings tend to turn into deep conversation? I think this is entirely your doing." A smile taking any hardness that could have been wrongly heard in her words.

He pouted a bit, kicking a little bit of water up in the opposite direction of Izira. "I know! Things are complicated, though, mate. I suppose life always is? I fear that I gave you the wrong impression of who I am. Or maybe it is the right impression, and the impression I give others is wrong?" He shook his head, as if clearing out the cobwebs. "Never mind that, though. Let's have fun." With a wicked gleam in his eyes, he crouched, dipping his hand into the water. It certainly looked like he was about to splash her...

She quickly moved away incase there was a splash incoming, using hands to cover herself. "No fair! You speak in near riddles and then just jump on. You're a worse tease than half the population of that sin city." A smirk, a gesture towards the way that would perhaps lead towards RhyDin.

He decided to splash in her direction anyway, giggling a bit as he did so, then trying to rush away from where he expected the imminent wave of water to come from. "I would like to think that, compared to most of the blokes and birds residing in our fair city of RhyDin, that I am more open about myself than most. How do I talk in riddles? Cards on the table, mate. Ask me any question, any question, and I guarantee you that I will answer it honestly." A quick pause, as he muttered to himself, half-smiling and shaking his head. "A bloody tease...bollocks, mate."

Chuckled, she tilted her head again and regarded him before nodding. "Alright, firstly then, what is the wrong impression you think you have given me?" She bit the side of her lower lip, and while it might have looked like she was curious - she was actually concentrating. Water splashing at Locke from behind him, she laughed and ducked away to the other side of the fountain, the statue between them.

He stumbled out of the way of the spray from Izira, laughing out loud as well. He tried to peer around the statue, to see if he could spot her, but failing to (or not trying very hard), he addressed his words to where he thought she might be. "I fear that you think I am a boring person. Far too serious. Mr. Gloom and Doom. I would like to think that I am a happy-go-lucky person, full of joie de vivre, vim and vigor. Truly, my life is not so bad, but I fear that in focusing on all that...bloody negativity, I made you think otherwise." He scratched his chin, and then sounded slightly annoyed. "Wait a minute! You made me do it again!" He started to rush toward the fountain, feinting which direction he would go around it from. He chose the right, crying out. "Rascal!"

She had gone left and hence lined herself up by the fake out to be caught or ran into or dunked into the water. "I did no such thing! You told me to ask and I asked! You did not specify I was only allowed to ask you jolly questions that would only have jolly answers." Upon spotting him she would try to turn around to escape, "I don't see how that makes me a rascal!" Said through her laugh.

Locke leaned down quickly and splashed, though he made no move to follow her as she circled around the statue on the left side. "You said it was my doing that we always have these deep conversations when we meet, and yet, you ask a question that requires a deep, thoughtful answer of me! I demand a silly question!" He stopped in place, folding his arms across his chest, pouting at her with his lower lip jutting out.

Pausing at a distance that kept him in view, she considered the request and tried to think of something silly to ask as was demanded. Finger to lip, she struck a good 'in thought' pose. Though it was truly taking her some time to think of something truly 'silly' to ask. Perhaps not silly? But something unimportant? Trivial. "How would you go about making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?"

He almost instantly answered the question, though the way he read it made it sound like it was something he had memorized from a book. "Two slices of bread, a knife, a jar of marmalade, and a jar of peanut butter. Spread one side with peanut butter, the other with marmalade. Put the two sides together. Cut diagonally. Serve."

"I don't know that I will accept that as a proper answer." Smiling as shaking her head. "While detailed, it is not at all how I make mine." Sliding back, feet still in the fountain, she once again perched on the edge of the wall. Legs crossing at the ankles, it was almost like she wasn't sitting in water outside and being goofy for once.

"Is that so? How do you-" He jabbed a finger in her direction, as he leaned his other arm against the statue - "make your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, mate?"

"Two slices of bread, a knife, a jar of strawberry jam, and a jar of peanut better. Spread both sides with a thin layer of peanut butter-so as to protect the jelly from bleeding through-and jelly in the middle. Cut diagonally and serve." Saying it in a tone such as the one he had used to begin with. When finished a brow was raised to see if he would challenge her method.

Locke waved a dismissive blue hand her way. "I am not even a fan of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches anyways, mate." He was pouting a bit, folding his arms once more. Perhaps she was right, or perhaps she'd struck a nerve?

"I am not such a connoisseur myself." Her smile almost apologetic again. After that she watched him quietly.

Being watched brought out the performer in Locke. Or was it that he couldn't sit still for one moment, or stand the silence? Either way, he made sure his dress shirt sleeves were still rolled up, and then flipped into a handstand. Not used to doing it with the slick, watery stone surface, he was only able to hold it for a few seconds before went tumbling back first into the fountain with a pronounced *splash*. Stunned, he laid there in the water, as his wet clothes froze quickly to his flesh. He lifted his hands up to flick the ice off his face, sputtering a bit.

Amusement at his trick, she moved as he fell into the water towards him. Seeing the frozen clothing, her expression was almost puzzled as she moved to help him up. Knees into the water, not caring for her dress at the moment. Leaning over him, "Okay?"

The water around him was slowly but surely starting to freeze, though at that moment, it was more akin to slush than anything else. He glanced up at her, once spiky hair now plastered and frozen to his head. He shot a thumbs-up to her. "I'm aces, mate."

"Aces. Course." Hands into the slush she pulled/guided him into a sitting position. Warmth from her affecting the water and his clothing, but not his skin. She was careful, mindful of his body. As she helped him out, however, a question popped into her mind and given the free nature of their exchange she couldn't help but ask, "How do you manage a shower?"

"I don't, normally. I usually take baths. And fill the bath tub up with ice cubes. Anything warmer than around...say, 5 or 6 degrees Celsius or so becomes painfully uncomfortable for me." Pulled up into a seated position, he didn't have time to marvel at the way her touch had stayed cold on his fingertips but dried out his shirt.

Kneeling in the water before him. "Curious." And it was, she pondered it. Right until she realized the nature of the thing she was pondering and managed not to color too much. "Do you... make your own ice?" If he bathed in ice and drank iced water, he must go through a lot of it. She undid the clasp in her hair and tossed it outside of the fountain, shaking her hair out. As she looked towards the statue.

He stood up, slacks still soaked from the fountain. "Bollocks. I can't imagine this can be good for the fabric of my trousers. And I have to tend tonight as well... Pardon?" He stopped briefly, to try and remember her question. "Do I make my own ice? Yes, I do. Though I also have them send ice up to me in my room sometimes."

"A perk for working for them... all the ice you need." Standing up as well, she gestured towards his pants. "If you swear you're not going swimming anymore I can dry them for you as well."

He waded through the fountain until he was at the edge, standing on the ledge with bare feet. A slight wince, as he touched the warmer surface. "If you are going to dry out my slacks, I ask that you do so quickly, so that I can change back into my shoes and socks."

"So demanding." Said while she followed. A hand on his lower pant leg. There was a moment, and then it was dry again. She tapped a finger in thought and removed her hand from his leg, "We're not very productive in these ventures." Her dress suddenly dry again as she was climbing out of the fountain, looking for her hair clip and heels.

"Thank you most kindly." He grinned mischievously, as he put on his socks and shoes quickly. "Indeed, we are not. I suppose we'll just have to make another appointment, and try again next time. When might you next be available?"

"I am always available." A light sigh, heels found she put them on again. "You could show up at two in the morning and I would be available, I'm sure." Half of a smile. "You said you are tending tonight?"

"Aye. And I better be leaving soon, if I am to make my shift on time." He gathered up his messenger bag, slinging it over his shoulder. "Are you thinking about dropping in on my shift?"

"If I wouldn't be a bother." Hair clip in hand, she would either have to put it up again or fix it to look less tussled while it was down.

"No bother at all. Nice to have a friendly face in the Inn and all that rigamorale." Once last glance over the outside area, before he looked in her direction. "Whenever you are ready to leave, I am."

"A moment." She went back into the inn, finding a mirror and putting her hair up again. A glance was cast towards the liquor she'd left on the bar. It would be a bad idea to drink it now.... so she left it where it was and returned outside again. "Ready."

The gloves were put back on, then, before he glanced sidelong at her. "I left my map in my bag. Do you know the way back home?"

"Home is there." Pointing at the inn, "But lucky for you I also know the way back to the Red Dragon as well."

"Aye. Well then, lead the way." And to emphasize his words, he swept a hand in front of him towards...whatever it was that lurked out there, in that realm.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Wednesday May 7, 2008 - Late Late Night))

Izira made it home, late. She wondered why she went to RhyDin. It seemed the place held a vibe about it that only slowly brought down her mood, something in the air that further triggered that urge within her. What was missing? Aside from Silas, aside from Alain, aside from a level of honesty she wanted but didn’t seem to reach with her friends…

When had the night turned? Was it Faenix? Truly she found him questionable and didn’t understand why he insisted on forcing himself into conversations he wasn’t invited to join. The friendship he offered always felt insincere to her, he reminded her too much of others. Locke had been entertaining for a while, even bothering to make the ice cubes in her water shaped like little fish at her request. But once the girl he had an obvious thing going with arrived, Izira was left to feel a little intrusive on the sweet exchanges between them. It reminded her of the time passing wherein she hadn’t be able to spend time with Alain and the shifting emotions she had when in his presence at the inn and playing a part when in the city. Alain had been there, ever so briefly when she had arrived. He’d given her a wink and gone. Even the arrival of Eva did not help to cheer her, though it wasn’t Eva’s fault. She had her own frustrations going on and for some reason Izira could not pull herself out of her antagonistic mindset. She almost felt like pushing buttons, like getting a rise out of someone. But there was no justifiable source for those emotions.

Damn Silas.

Izira couldn’t help but be mad at him. He was supposed to be her confidant. He was supposed to be there to help her organize her thoughts. He was supposed to assist her in directing these energies. Izira felt the fire snapping ready at her fingertips. It was under control, but waited willing and ready. Fingers flexed, she looked around the inn as though she would find the feline perched somewhere in wait. There was no Silas in sight. A glass of water and the flute of her liquor still sat on the bar. A drink was definitely needed.

The water glass was collected, set into the sink. She then returned to the bar, leaning against it as she watched the roiling colors of lava within the flute. Inside she felt the fire answer to the drink. Release. She needed to let go, just for a while. Fingertips felt alive with electric anticipation as they brushed against the crystal surface. The flute was lifted, contents unceremoniously swimming into her mouth. Dragon’s Breath. Locke had asked her at the inn what it was she had been drinking, what was in it. Izira only had a name. She didn’t know what was in it and she didn’t presently care. The liquid was swallowed and she felt small explosions within her body. Alive. Alive with the fire. Eyes, having closed as the liquid rushed past her lips, now opened. Irises now red with the flames, the colors flickered hungrily.

But even with the fire calling excitedly through her blood, Izira felt suddenly relaxed and well again.

Empty flute in hand, Izira settled onto the stool behind the bar. Exhaling and enjoying the moment as she could. Watching the empty interior of the inn, “Hurry back Silas.”
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Wednesday May 7, 2008 - Late Night))

“Hurry back Silas.”

What the lady did not know was that Silas was still there, incorporeal in form. His consciousness filled the air of the realm and he kept an eye on that which happened within it. Aware of the lady Eva’s visit and the stress she had been under, as well as the more recent visit by the Blue One who had managed to bring out a more playful side of Izira. Alain’s village was of little concern to him. Though, if needed, it would prove itself invaluable. Alain, himself, had not been seen for a while either. He believed he was correct in his assessment of the man Izira insisted on calling her Love. A man given to his work, given to his desire, unprepared to keep the heart with which he toyed. It was a thorn in his side, but for the time being Silas was willing to ignore that slight annoyance. He was not overruled by his emotions. His poker face was impeccable and if the time came to lay out his cards, he was ready. Alas, there were fates already set in motion and to suddenly interfere might ruin the outcome he was hoping for. Planned for and, more so, needed. His silent companions urged him in their own ways, it had been too long.

Still, Izira was more than a means to an end. He was fond of her. Cheering on her triumphs and empathetic to her sorrow when she failed, he had become a friend to her. They had been together for years, how could he not? He knew her history, her flaws. Like a clockmaker he had become familiar with the way she worked. Why she always wore dresses and skirts, where she learned to cook, the reason behind her distaste for coffee. He even knew how it was that a lady with such a destructive past managed to be completely unscarred. He knew her better than anyone, perhaps even herself at times. It left him as frustrated as her at these times when they could not communicate. Anything could occur and what he had worked so hard to gain could be at a risk.

No, it would be alright. Even now he could feel his power returning to him. Another day or two and he would be back. In the meantime he would watch and hope that nothing damaging happened.
Izira Nyte
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Izira Nyte »

((Saturday May 10, 2008 - evening))

Alain is seated by the fire at the Silver Mark, which he's closed on a Saturday night, of all nights. Because it's his birthday, and he wants some time to relax in his own home. He's smoking one of the cigars Serena gave him, enjoying a cheap little paperback spy novel, of all things - one of 'Lanta's gifts. She said the picture on the cover reminded her of him, he recalls, which makes him smile to himself as he turns the page. Jean is snoozing outside and enjoying the night air.

Izira made her way through the night, a basket in hand. A light coat over her dress, heels sounding on the street. It had been a while, waiting at the inn and wondering if Alain would appear. Perhaps he didn't know she knew what day it was? The villagers weren't the best at keeping a secret. More reason for them to stay within the realm if Izira's relationship with Alain was to remain unknown to the general public. Eventually she packed up the dinner and set out to RhyDin. It was spelled to stay fresh, if she didn't find him... she could leave it for him to find, maybe?

The door is left unlocked, for now, though set only so a friend may pass through - a little favor Silas did for him. He sets his cigar aside to take a sip of the fine scotch... though there's a twitch at the back of his mind at a familiar presence approaching. As he's still no good with this sort of "psionic" thing, he doesn't yet recognize it for what it is.

And in she slipped, picnic basket in hand. A glance around as she undid her coat. A white blouse and black skirt. Simple yet still classy. Her hair was wore down. The basket was set down a moment and she hung up her coat, then picked up the basket and made for the bar - having spotted Alain near the heart with a soft smile.

He looks up as she enters... and grins slowly. Drink set down, spy novel set aside. He smokes as he watches her move. He studies the basket, then her face, and says, "Someone told you."

"Some-ones told me, yes. Strangely enough, you didn't and perchance weren’t planning on it? I went by the Inn and there's a statue outside of you." A faint smirk, she started to unpack the basket. Pasta with crusted chicken, vegetables... all still piping hot as though they had been taken out of the oven only moment ago.

"Didn't want to put anyone to the trouble. And I think the May Queen, Detective Assistant Trinala, is responsible for the statue." He watches her unpack the magically (literally) steaming food and adds, "Sometimes I thank God you're an elemental." Eyes search the hearth area, then the rest of the room, briefly. "We can eat by the fire, or at a table. It's your call." He gets up at last, moving over to steal the first of his birthday kisses.

A smile at the idea of the bubbly May Queen being the one behind the statue. Childlike innocence, she hoped that girl never lost hers. "Bar is fine. I'm use to eating at the elevated level." Giving him a kiss that doesn't have to be stolen, before going behind the bar to get a glass for water. "Are you set with your drink?"

"If you could fix me a glass of water," he says with a soft smile, and takes a seat. "I was just reading a little spy novel 'Lanta gave to me - she said the man on the cover reminded her of me." His smile turns to a grin... it hasn't taken him long to adopt 'Lanta as a kid sister.

"I think I have seen her a couple of times? You should introduce us, when you are able." Taking down two glasses, filling them with ice and water and setting them down on the bar by the food. Reaching in and even taking out silverware. Putting that last bit together, she sat down with a smile. "Happy Birthday Alain."

"Thank you," he smiles, and kisses her again, softly, lingering near to her after it's broken. "That's two... you owe me twenty more, at least." He starts on his food.

"I have time." A light smirk, eating a small bite and watching him. "Young to have done so much with yourself." Then looking back to her food and taking another bite.

"Never thought I'd get so ambitious, honestly," he says, chewing thoughtfully. "Before the civil war back home? All I wanted to do was become a bartender." He grins. "Always thought it'd be fun."

"Here you are." Gesturing to the bar with her fork. "Is it everything you hoped for?"

"It is." His grin softens somewhat. "I have other concerns, other businesses... but each one gives me satisfaction." As he takes another bite, he looks around the room, surveying his pub with no small amount of pride. Sometimes he can be a very simple man.

Smiling as she watches him, she remains quiet and enjoying the company and the food.

He enjoys a comfortable silence for a while, glances stolen at her, smiles shared as he works his way through his meal. "Espérance." He looks up at her. "That's how you found out."

"Took you that long, Detective?" A smirk as she went for her water glass and looked at him from the corner of her eyes.

"At first I assumed it was the statue," he smiles, and gestures her over after a sip of his own water. "But then I remembered how you referred to it, and realized it couldn't have been."

A soft chuckle, she leaned over giving him a kiss before speaking softly. "I am impressed by your power of deduction."

He guides her gently closer to him, arms settling around her. "Then I remembered, I'd let it slip to 'Lanta, who I remember telling one of the villagers. And as much as they gossip. And as your friends here aren't that close to me... that made the most sense." He kisses her again, grinning. "Sorry - I can never resist a little detective work."

Her own stool moved closer to him, she settled within his embrace. It would be precarious to try to sit in his lap, to have them both on one stool. Leaning against him. A kiss and more soft silence before looking up to him, "Have you had a good birthday?"

He nods. "Serena took me to dinner. We had a cigar and some scotch and talked about ships." He smiles a bit, fingers trailing over her back. "Wish I'd gotten to see Shannon," his kid sister, whom he's mentioned before, "but she's made herself pretty scarce. I might go find Elly tomorrow and have lunch with her, for the hell of it."

Watching his eyes as he spoke, listening to his words. Offering a nod, sipping her water just after the mention of Serena. Then more nods to the rest, "With luck and good detective skills you will find her."

"My sister and I don't have the best relationship," he says with a shake of his head. "But our paths will cross again, when she wants them to." Another shake of his head, after a pause, he says, "Happier subjects for my birthday dinner." A smile. "How have things been at the village?"

"Happy? Productive? You haven't been around. I haven't gone and visited them." A little shrug of her shoulder. "They seem very content and pleased with things."

"I've heard murmurs of a festival." His smile turns to a grin.

"There was Beltane." Said in agreement, Izira was an unbreakable safe.

He narrows his eyes at her... and then points at her and shakes his finger, apparently quoting something as he says, "Ve haff vays of making you talk..."

Smirks at him, leaning in and giving him another kiss. What were they on now? "You're not interested in getting me to talk, though."

He's lost count. "No chance you brought that costume, is there?" he says between kisses, leaning closer.

A soft laugh, she shook her head. "Sorry. I didn't know if I would find you."

"I think we can make do without, then, don't you?" Eyebrow waggle.

"I take it you are ready for dessert?" tilting her lips to his.

"I'm famished," he replies, drawing her into a deeper kiss.

Return to “Forgotten Layers”