OOC: Hydra Dashboard

The Second Best Dueling Event of the Year!
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Someone pointed out to Sylus last night that Bailey had scored 2.5 points in her DoF match and, while that showed up right on the duel result line in the front page, on the team result page and the match tally it was showing as if she had scored 3.

This is obviously a problem.

I've tracked it down to actually 2 bugs, one of which I have fixed already and the other I need Jake's help with since it's actually in the database structure.

The first is a minor display issue. For the duel lines in the display I was calling a number_format function in php and missed a variable in that to tell the function to use decimals, so it was just rounding up what it showed even though the number was right in the DB. I've fixed that so it shows all duel score things with 1 decimal point.

The second issue is the way I set up the DB to store team match scores. I set the field to integer rather than float, so it's taking all half values and rounding them up. This one I need Jake to bail me out on and fix my table settings. Once he's done that I need to run a script to recalculate all the match scores from the season and set those values properly.

I mention the 2nd issue because it has the potential to be bad. The way I have a lot of the code working I don't *think* it is going to impact us. I think had the code ever awarded the wrong team the win that y'all would have caught it prior to the playoffs, so I'm not too worried about that. There is a small chance it could have the PDPD calculation off though. I still don't think it will be enough to change who should have made the playoffs, but I have to go back and redo the math to make sure.

Anyway.. just a heads up to let you know I'm aware of the bug and am working on it, while keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of my code is smarter.

~Kal
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Matches impacted (hopefully fixed later today)

Week 1:
CHM at DCK: DCK should have 9.5 (listed as 10)

Week 2:
HFO at TMF: TMF should have 8.5 (listed as 9)
RPN at CHM: CHM should have 9.5 (listed as 10)

Week 4:
HFO at ROC: HFO should have 8.5 (listed as 9)

Week 5:
DCK at HFO: HFO should have 16.5 (listed as 17)
TMF at RPN: RPN should have 5.5 (listed as 6)

Week 6 (Playoffs)
HFO at CHM: HFO should have 4.5 (listed at 5)
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

All fixed and only minor impacts to team PDPD. Nobody's end of season standing changes as a result.

ROC: Moves from 1.00 to 1.03 PDPD
HFO: Moves from -1.13 to -1.17 PDPD

Everyone else balanced out and stays the same.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

I know a lot of the tech details go over my head but I just wanted to say thank you for putting in the effort to a) program and run these sites for us, b) go out of your way to make sure they're all working effectively and c) transparently letting us know.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Queen wrote:I know a lot of the tech details go over my head but I just wanted to say thank you for putting in the effort to a) program and run these sites for us, b) go out of your way to make sure they're all working effectively and c) transparently letting us know.
Seconded
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

See a need, fill a need... or however that goes!

Thank you both for the comment and I do appreciate it. To me, this is just my way of contributing to the community, no different than those, like you, who volunteer to call duels. Less valuable, in reality, since the game can certainly go on without a dashboard, but we'd be dead in the water without someone to officiate the matches.

As to transparency... it's a belief of mine that we all need to come together to make these games (IFL, Hydra, even the standard duels) happen. We should all be kept informed and included in discussions when possible. Since it isn't unusual for me to preach that tenant, it behooves me to practice it as best I can.

Anyway.. my thanks you two, as well as the other callers, coords and Sylus for keeping Hydra going and adding a bit of spice to the Summer's duel play.

~Kal
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

Kalamere I have a question. Are the PDPD / WC / WOL's from the playoff matches going to be added to the individual standings of players here?
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Apple wrote:Kalamere I have a question. Are the PDPD / WC / WOL's from the playoff matches going to be added to the individual standings of players here?
They should not be, but if you notice otherwise please let me know.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Callers and Captains

I'd like to solicit some feedback on the web forms used to input lineups and record duels.

Was there anything not intuitive that I can make flow better? Anything confusing, or difficult to use?

Please let me know how I can improve things for next year.

~Kal
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

I used it for IFL as well, so I am used to the setup already. I think it's pretty intuitive.
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."
George Orwell 1984
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

It's very clean and efficient. Had no issues with it at all and wouldn't really change a thing.
Delahada
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Deputy Director of Dickery

Post by Delahada »

Nope. I give it an A+ infinity. Very easy to figure out.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Just a quick note to let folks know that I'm going to be away from Sat. July 9th through the 16th. I'm headed out to the lake for a much needed vacation of fishing, jet skiing and drinking... in no particular order.

The house theoretically has internet so I shouldn't be entirely disconnected, but my experience with lake house connections is that they tend to suck, especially if it rains.

I mention all this only because it is naturally the first week of Hydra and I'm possibly going to have some issues checking in on the website to make sure it is doing the things it is supposed to do. If you experience problems with it, please drop me an email (this name @aol) and be patient. (this applies to DoF and DoS standings as well, though that code is a bit more tried and true).
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Oh, another Hydra note. We could use news!

If you're interested in contributing previews, highlights, gossip, whatever... please get in touch. News is posted via Dueling Zone News and syndicated to the Hydra site, so either I can arrange to post it for you or I can get you in touch with Jake. All depends on if you just want to do an article or two or if you'd like to become a regular correspondent.
Wynn Whittaker
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Wynn Whittaker »

Kalamere wrote:Oh, another Hydra note. We could use news!

If you're interested in contributing previews, highlights, gossip, whatever... please get in touch. News is posted via Dueling Zone News and syndicated to the Hydra site, so either I can arrange to post it for you or I can get you in touch with Jake. All depends on if you just want to do an article or two or if you'd like to become a regular correspondent.
I should hopefully have something for you before long. Probably this weekend. Hopefully.

Return to “The Hydra's Den”