Trails of Blood

An old dueling team is reborn. These are their stories.

Moderators: Rakeesh, Shadowlord

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Arena has turned into a torment when swirl of shadowy red and hematite-black, dressed in dark robes, arrived to haunt the place. Daigotsu walked to the table I liked - away from the searing lights - and sat down uninvited, his back to the crowd, facing me. His hand moved to remove the mask. No, my dear bloodmage, I'm not in the mood for talking... I stopped him, both with gesture and words. Luckily for me, Gorkers was all too willing to duel, and I had a chance to sit alone.

I still watched him, noting the manner of moves and soft shimmer of his magical field. When Anne needed a duel, I agreed - but my eyes still wandered to him. I dueled reluctantly, mainly watching and listening. After the fight (which was also watched by Xenograg.... and that made me nervous ) I took care of Anne's arm. I chose the softest-working spells for this - I know pirates tolerate pain, but I didn't want a friend to be hurt. Accurate targetting and precisely-calculated effects are an essential part of a lifemage's work. I asked Anne to keep from dueling for an hour, reluctant to use stronger spells. First - that would attract attention to me. Second - stronger spells may have nasty effects on her, such as extreme hunger after metabolic acceleration. And my eyes again wandered to the dark figure in the rings.

The last duel of Daigotsu was against Vincent, and tension filled me. I know a bit more about Vinny than the bloodmage suspects... and I have no idea whom I would prefer to see alive, Vinny or Daigotsu. Templar vs Bloodmage. Vincent's blade at least provided more resistance to shining katana of bloodspeaker than Josh's sword or Dimitri's no-dachi. Seems that the templar is also investigating the Bloodspeakers... what consequences might this have?

After the duels and after listening to Xenograg I left. I needed fresh air... so to say. I returned only when fighting was over. Shortly after that, the Bloodmage came in.

I realize, those who know me, already consider me allied with the Bloodspeakers after that incident at Twilight Isle. And... I need to learn more of my enemy if I have a chance.

I left with Daigotsu - to watch him. Shadow warp has taken me in with soft whisper...
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The evening watching Daigotsu was a nightmare. I returned to my hideout completely stressed and tired inside. But the resolution to study him was growning stronger.

What I needed was - gain their trust, spend more time with them. And eventually find a spot where to strike. But if Daigotsu suspects anything... I'll be having trouble.

I walked to the place at Arena where Alais, Tass and that elven Queen were sitting. A few calculated words... and there it was, suspicious look and hissing elves. I told Alais what I intented to do, and the message to General Xenograg was on the way already. There's no turning back. I will be investigating this case... and if I fail, I know the price.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

When I arrived at the Arena, I tried to stay quiet. I saw Xenograg and the elves around, as well as the Dragon, so it was the most rational thing to do. However, General nodded in a greeting to me when he noticed me dueling Rakeesh, and I could no longer pretend I was an empty place.

Xenograg has received my message, and wished to make me apologize to the Queen. I sensed it... I'm not a brainless Knight to miss that out. Well, no need to risk the chance to study in the Dojo, sword skill would be necessary in future. I apologized, kicking my pride into nowhere. Elves... damn elves! To remain student of Xenograg I had to do this.

I left to sit in the corner I liked. Soon the ripple in the shadows announced arrival of the bloodmage. I accepted the duel, and called it in. Farek was officiating, and it was a pleasure to fight knowing that his comments won't bite. The melody that used to play in my soul two centuries ago, touched my mind softly... As if there has never been the curse of Shadow Phoenix, the pain of being returned to Lerdann... only the Conversation of swords. Mercy of Llyrth, my trusty sabre, touched the dark robes of bloodmage gently, and even when he managed to wound me, this did not make the melody fade. For the first time in endless years I felt... free.

When he left, the fascination of the duel was gone. I won it, but it wasn't a duel that filled me with strange warmth. Feeling of freedom. Elves, paladin, Dragons - they lost significance before the music of sword-dance my soul felt. I was slowly returning to life.... if that can be said about me.
Shahai Iida
Adventurer
Adventurer

Calling Cards

Post by Shahai Iida »

Weeks of study. Books, scrolls, parchments. The volumes of writing on Dragons was enormous. Only one problem, none of them furthered her aim of how to trap one. How to disable one enough for her to once again experience the rush of entering a body of pure magic.

In a fit of frustration, she threw the latest book against a wall. The book landed with a thud.

Giving a feral snarl, she rose. It was time to seek souls. It was time for death and destruction. Give herself a break from the studies.

Daigotsu had not returned to the Citadel lately. She'd heard rumors that he'd been spending time with the false vampire. Another creature of the Hell's.

Well, she could wreak havok alone tonight. She'd laid low long enough. Tonight she would let RhyDin know she was still around. Still there to threaten the weak and the unwary.

She stepped through the portal into RhyDin. Black eyes glittering behind the porcelain mask. Her first victims never knew what hit them as she jumped into their bodies, consigning their souls into the depths of hell. Their screams echoing in the alley where their bodies collapsed into the filth of Badside.

Returning to her own body she felt slightly better as she worked her way across Badside toward RhyDin proper. The trail of corpses grew, one here, 3 there, and so it went.

She paused in front of the Liontaur's guild hall. Oh yes, it was time to leave him with a mutilated corpse upon the doorstep. She looked around for the Dryad and then grabbed a drunken fellow staggering in the area. Before she would consign his soul to hell, she would torture him to the brink of madness. Leaving his body in bloody pieces first. Getting the adrenaline laces soul would be a bonus.

When she'd finished, she left the remains for the Paladin. Her calling card for him.

She then moved into the city, pausing to watch the white robed figures coming and going from the new temple. With a dark smile, she continued onwards.
Shahai Iida
First Follower of The Bloodspeaker
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

An expression of slight scepticism curved her lips... fluidly turning into a shadow of recognition, as vampiress watched Artemus in his feverish, pale, drained state. "What in the Hells you've done to yourself! " she spoke angrily.
His voice was barely a whisper as he slumped more against the bar "Not....me....Sha.....hai......."

Cold fury blazed in her dark midnight-blue eyes for a moment. Again the bloodspeaker! When Artemus gained a little strength to talk, he explained that these were naught but after-effects of him being tainted, but the vampiress didn't take that as any kind of excuse. Shahai was giving her way too many problems to deal with, including unwanted patients.

Artemus Kurgen. Blood enemy of Rhaine. Murderer of her old friend. Vampiress froze in hesitation. A Battle Priest of Asmodeus would not go against her word. A biodesigner of her class would not finish off an enemy dying from hand of another. But why not just leave him to fight his fight!

Calmly weighing her decision, Rhaine offered Artemus her assistance.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

She met Daigotsu again, now the duel was in magic, and results were as usual. His defense failing one last time, bloodmage stood and offered a low bow to Rhaine
"It would appear you are impervious to anything I may do."
She replied with a similar bow.
"I merely try to be worthy of such an opponent".

But how much truth was in her words? Rhaine met him again next day, again at the Twilight Isle, and did her best to avoid meeting him in the rings. No need to upset him... As he dueled a young woman named Cadence, Rhaine walked to Azjah. The dhoine woman could have told her a bit more of the bloodmage. For example, the appearance.... Being blind in normal spectrum was sometimes a disadvantage.

White hair... pale and lifeless color, according to Azjah... Vampiress was amused to hear that he had dark blue eyes. She expected something like demonic red, or black. Dark robes - nothing unexpected... The picture seemed to be much less fascinating than the spectral one. Rhaine left - she needed to take care of a few things out of the Twilight Isle.

She returned from her errands in RhyDin too late for a duel, but a few of carefully said words - and vampiress managed to get invited to visit the Iron Citadel. Daigotsu mentioned having a little fun on the way, and Rhaine shuddered deep within. But self-control is an art any asmodean has to master... She nodded, hoping that "fun" would be a mere hunt, nothing else.

They walked out of the Isle together. Taking a deep breath, Rhaine went with Daigotsu.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

a guest of Iron Citadel

Post by Rhaine »

The Iron Citadel was a bit similar to the one in Dis. I tried to keep close to the bloodspeaker. I have no problem moving around in Hells, but being alone, surrounded by enemies - that was rather unnerving. I might have fun teasing an Oni, but against a large squad of local guards I would have to fight, and fight seriously. We, biodesigners, are not immortal...

The architecture of the place was different from that of RhyDin. I stopped for a moment, fixating the image in my memory and in a miniature crystal. The hematite-colored silhouette stopped while I was looking at the place. I tried to imagine him the way normals viewed him, and my respect to him grew. Was he not a human initially?! And he is here now - master of this stronghold, commander of his army... How could I express my admiration with this inner strength and courage! No wonder why all three other bloodspeakers obeyed him...

The Citadel was delightfully calm, everyone was busy with their own work or training. So similar to the best times in the Temple of Asmodeus... I tried to shake off the memory. Daigotsu allowed me to walk around freely and look at the place, but I knew that if I invited someone to the Temple, I would ask one of Knights to watch the visitor quietly... Probably he did the same. No one can be sure about such beings... Careful, Rhaine... you may admire the bloodspeaker, but he remains an enemy.

"For how long am I allowed to walk and look at the Citadel?"
"As long as you wish."

I didn't stay for long though. Have never complained on having a bad memory, and getting necessary data was easy enough. I only allowed myself to recharge... energy of Hells is too delightful to waste the chance to savor it.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Another hunt

Post by Rhaine »

Rhaine was enjoying a relaxing time at the beach after duelling at Twilight Isle, as the dark figure passed through the portal. Daigotsu. She greeted him politely, her face though showing well enough how unwilling she was to emerge from relaxation.
"Perhaps I have come at a bad time?" the Blood Mage asked
"Bad time? For what? " Rhaine replied with a smirk. The evening was already ruined.
"It has been some time since I enjoyed your company during...a night on the town," he spoke, smirking behind the porcelain mask.
Vampiress smiled slightly. "I have not heard of you... spending nights in RhyDin... for a while. " His words were unexpected.
"Would you like to assist me in repopulating the hells?" Daigotsu said half-jokingly, and Rhaine could only laugh silently. Such an offer after the episode with Oni?! Is he really trying to torment her? She looked at the bloodmage, hematite-black and red colors swirling before her eyes.
"And you are inviting me to join you during this... night out... despite the last meeting here? I'm flattered, really. I'd gladly enjoy the hunt with you, milord Blood Mage"
Her tone was slightly sarcastic - Rhaine could hardly believe she was actually being offered a hunt.
"I do not fear you, Vampiress. We had somewhat of a...silent truce. I am simply continuing to offer you no conflicts with me."
"No conflicts, milord Blood Mage." She smiles at Daigotsu. "Shall we go"
Daigotsu turned and gestured toward the portal... towards another night of hunting together. Rhaine had no idea if he noticed that she has seldom taken more than one life during such hunts...

Return to “Champions of Mythos”