Soliciting a jailbreak.

They wrecked the Wrecking Crew, put a stop to Forces of Nature, Crushed Crushbob, and weakened Great of Strength.

Moderators: Jake, Candy Hart, King

Charlie Nine
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Location: When he wanted to be found, it was likely the dueling venues or Triple A MMA

Soliciting a jailbreak.

Post by Charlie Nine »

Charlie couldn't bring himself to sleep.

The twenty-four hour holding period had come and gone, the monotony of his incarceration broken only twice; first for a length interrogation session with a Watchman who could have been anyone's irritated drunk uncle and the arrival of a meal that would have been too disgusting to eat even if he had been hungry. He had whiled away the first twelve hours in distracted silence, the tip of a finger tracing unimportant patterns on the cold concrete walls behind him where his hands were still bound and the twelve that followed contemplating the deliberate chain of events that brought him to that place. It wasn't that he was surprised. This had all been one of three expected conclusions.

What he hadn't expected was for the full day to come and go without the offer of any sort of bail posting opportunities, rolling into the evening hours. He couldn't call Melanie or Clarice. Even omitting the fact that he didn't have their contact information, trying to reach either at the gym could have created another public spectacle when one or the other (or both) came down to try retrieve him. No, he'd have to think of something else.

Another inedible meal came and was ignored, along with it's bearer, as Charlie was forced to contemplate his next move. That's when he noticed the ridiculous little cartoon drawn on the wall in Sharpie marker, complete with a caption that read...

For a good time, call Jenny Chae! 867-5309! Group discounts available!!!!!!!

"You've got to be kidding me," he muttered through a wheezing laugh and rose from that hard aluminum bench, moving to lean into the bars and call down the hall. "Officer. Officer! I get a phonecall, right?"

Jin Chae was in fact on the other end of 867-5309. Yes, that was her number. What could she say, it was good for business. When it rang, it did so rather distinctly for the jail's number was no stranger to her. The up tempo samba ringer brought neither a smile nor a bounce in her step as she rolled over and smacked at the source of annoyance, finally curling her fingers around it and pulling it close. A grumble and a huff preceded the flip of the clamshell phone as Jen angrily punched at the answer button.

"Gods damnit! For the last time, I don't work for free no matter what your friends say, [censored] off!" She shouted into the phone with no small amount of compact asian rage, for hell hath no fury like a Korean prostitute scorned. Even as the words tumbled forth, she was already in the process of fumbling with her phone to try and hang up.

Uh oh...

"Jin, hey. No-don't-hang-up-it's-Charlie!" The words escaped rapid fire in an attempt to slip beneath her ire before she could prematurely end his bid for a legal jailbreak. "I swear I'm not calling to proposition you for sex..."

Balancing the phone on a shoulder, he danced from side to side like a child that needed to urinate.

Jenny paused in the clumsy attempt to hang up her phone and go back to sleep, staring at the device like she was on something. As silent as the dead for a few long and drawn out moments, she finally exhaled a breath loud enough to be heard by the party on the other line. "Charlie... like... from the Outback, Charlie?" Sitting upright, she swung her legs over the side of the bed, blinking sleep from her eyes as she tried to decide whether or not she was awake. "Why're you calling my work phone? I thought i gave you my other..." lightbulb moment, "Oh jeeze..."

The guy on the other end of the line didn't embarass easily. Or at all, for that matter. Instead, he patiently sat through the silence and tried not to smile. The cosmos was like to appreciate his attempt at seriousness. And if not the cosmos, the constabulary. "Yeah, Charlie from the Outback. We've fought, exchanged pleasantries, we hung out over dairy confections and fried potato sticks that one time? Much to my surprise and luck, your number was drawn on the wall of my jail cell. With a little cartoon. You really should put up fliers or get business cards or something. It would be more effective advertising than this. You are very unflattering rendered as a stick figure and the penis on your would-be suitor is disproportionately large."

That explained the numerous calls from the jail's phone number. Groaning, she slumped back against the still warm comforter of her bed, eyes squeezed shut and cheeks a rather unfortunate shade of red. "I'm gonna kill KC, I swear to all of the gods..." She muttered into the mouthpiece of her phone, pinching the bridge of her nose before exhaling. "I can't imagine you're calling me to chit chat about jailhouse abstract art..." She had some vague idea of where this was going, calls to her work phone usually went one of two ways. Sitting up once more, she patted a foot around for a shoe, switching feet to get it on properly before seeking out the other then wandering for her dresser. Popping open the top drawer, she dug toward the back, her phone pinned between her ear and shoulder.

"Wait. The other stick figure is your sister? And she has a disproportionately large penis?" There was a pause on the other end of the line as Charlie pondered that. "Then why is it on your cheek in this picture?"

"Huh what? Probably, wait, huh? I mean, yes, no, what?" Tripping over her words, she paused in her rummaging to take a slow breath and let out a quick laugh. "It's a long story. Don't believe the stories they tell you, I mean it." Once that was out of the way, the hidden bottom was pulled out of the drawer because who needs banks for storing money.

"No, no. I think I get it. I didn't know Harris was gay. Huh. Really didn't see that coming." Not that he really cared, but it was certainly interesting. In an entertaining way.

"What? He's not. It's uh... it's a long story. Trust me, you don't wanna know." She exhaled another chuckle.

For quite a few moments, Charlie had been oddly fascinated. Almost like a child. The silence hung between them for a time before he finally cleared his throat and exhaled. "Okay. Stating the obvious, I could use your help, Jin. I found myself in an unfortunate situation on Monday afternoon and I've been in the Watch's jail cells here in Dockside ever since. It's something of a sensitive situation, given the recent rash of tabloid stories concerning Melanie..."

"Damn, yo. Of all the Watch Houses you ended up in Dockside?" She blew out a low whistle shaking her head. "S'alright, KC's been there a couple of times." Pausing to count thumb through the bundle in her hand, she rocked a shrug unseen by the person on the other end. "Paparazzi vultures... what can I help with?"

"Yeah. I was working Dockside when things went down. I need someone to come and discreetly bail me out. Apparently I lack the pull and most definitely the funds to make this happen and they're not being very forthcoming about how long I'll be stuck here if I don't pay. I understand I'm asking for a lot."

In between her various questions and observations, she had been counting the bail fund. Why did she need a secretly stashed bail fund? That was a good question, though one easily answered if one looked at her siblings and their tendency to attract trouble. "Maybe Jim's working lock up. Oughta be pretty straight forward... I can be there in say half an hour?" She paused. "You didn't like... kill anyone did you?"

"I didn't do what I'm being accused of," he replied in complete honesty. "And I appreciate what you're implying you'll do for me, Jin. It might take me some time to compensate you, or repay the favor, but I'm good for it."

That was reassuring. She stared at her phone for a moment before sighing softly. "It's whatev. I'm sure you'll find a way or something eventually. I've bailed KC and Morgan out over stupider stuff." Stuffing the rubber banded bundle down the front of her shirt, pockets couldn't be trusted down by the docks you know.

"They're your blood." He countered. It was hard for him to wrap his mind around, distinctly lacking in the familial, blood or otherwise. "I'd say that counts for more. But I might be useful at some point."

"Meh." She shrugged noncommitally and headed for the door, keys snatched up along the way, soon to be deposited down the shirt much like the money had been after she got the apartment door locked behind her. "Yeah, we'll see. In the mean time let's just see about getting you out of that hell hole."

"The food still moves." It was a helpful addition, perhaps to give her some amusing sense of urgency. All he could do now is wait.

Return to “Team Beat Down”