Who's your dueling kryptonite?

Everything else, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Staff

Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Who's your dueling kryptonite?

Post by Hope »

This random thought passed through my head last night and I thought it was a fun question. Who, regardless of when and your approach, bests you time and time again? The answer can change by sport of course. Please if this seems fun I'm curious if anyone else randomly thinks of these, do respond.

In DoF I think Jake has been an indominable snowman of sorts. I didn't get to duel him a ton when it came to high stakes but between one opal, IFL and powerhouse I simply couldn't beat him. I wonder how it would go since then but history's definitely not on my side :lol:

In DoS I think Matt has been a hurdle I can't seem to wrap my head around. Two OL challenges and this past Madness have been a pretty good ruler. Can't beat him, at least not yet.

I don't do a whole lot of DoM I'm afraid so I think it's fair to say if you've ever dueled in it you're probably my kryptonite ;)

Edit: would love to hear about some old rivalries, duelists who don't come around anymore etc!
PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Who's your dueling kryptonite?

Post by PC »

Gren. Because I know for a fact that all our fights are going to be a 50/50, no matter what I do. Every challenge, regulation fight, tournament, etc, if I get matched up against him I know that the first two rounds will make or break the fight for me lol. But that's the charm of it, I really like dueling Gren.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Post by Michelle Montoya »

In magic, Bailey trounces me every time. I can't figure you out Bailey!! Hopefully I figure out the secret by next challenge....

In sword's, Rachael has my number. When I'm seeded early against her I know it's going to be a rough tournament. No matter what I try Rachael has a new trick!

And no matter the sport, Gren is just indomitable. I agree with PC, except it's more 2:1 odds in his favour. I love you Gren. Glad I'm on your team :p
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

DoF-wise, Harris. There was a period of ~3 years where I didn't ever beat him. I'll need to ponder the others.
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
XanthVanBokkelen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by XanthVanBokkelen »

There’ve been a lot of names mentioned so far, so I’ll throw out one that hasn’t been yet: Lem DeAngelo (DoM).

If I was lucky enough to beat him (which was rare), it was always barely, by a point.

Also, there was a “Lambast Lem” Achievement, where you had to beat him by 3 points or more. Only 4 people ever did, and only one of those was a shutout. I got the achievement during Hydra 2013, when he was calling four duels at the same time! I felt bad for claiming it, but that was the only way I was ever going to get it. ;)
Rachael Blackthorne
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
The Professor

Location: Current: Number 6 Willow Way, Canopy District, Gloaming. Former: a beach house in Arcadia.

Post by Rachael Blackthorne »

First of all, thank you for the mentions, Michelle and Xanth.

Swords is the sport which took me the longest to get a hang of, ironically because of its limited matrix of moves. It took me until Madness 2016 and getting to the final two to finally advance in rank there. So, in a way, Swords itself was my dueling kryptonite, because I advanced in rank in Fists and Magic relatively fast in comparison.

I agree with Xanth, Lem was one tough opponent in magic. When I got that 5 - 0 in five shutout versus him during the finals of the Archmage tournament, I damn near fainted because I couldn't believe the results. He of course trounced me but good the next match, so Karma got me back.

Dueling kryptonite for me in general has been challenges for titles, so far. Also, anyone that I've dueled multiple times can sneak up and lay the kryptonite smackdown on me.

I agree with the other choices for dueling kryptonite. Dueling legends are that for a reason. They've earned it.
The hand is quicker than the eye.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

The people I grew up dueling against... Hope, PC, Nat, etc. With them, I pretty much just have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

In fists, Harris more often than not. Matt's also one of those 50/50 things that gives me anxiety every time. Not just in fists but swords too. We gotta stop meeting like that lol.

In magic, Mur Ollavan. Lem too. He was a puzzle and a half to duel.
Gloria Blaze
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Gloria Blaze »

Sadly, the names I mention will be ones the vast majority of you never dueled.

DoS - Sartan - He had some uncanny intuition that I just couldn't shake. Also tough for me Dalamar Ar Daumon (and alts) and Avery Shiv Blade
DoM - Daegarth Mithmellon - I just knew odds would not be in my favour, and I think he was that way in DoS for me too
DoF - my weakest sport, with that many losses its hard to single anyone out
Gloria Blaze,
House Royal
Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Bailey stands out in my mind for frequently stumping me in DoM. Xanth, too! On the rare occasion that I beat either of you guys, I let out a big breath I didn’t realize I was holding. xD

Return to “Thoughts at Large”