A Dangerous Man

What do you tell a brawler with two black eyes? Nothing. Candy already told them twice.

Moderator: Candy Hart

Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

A Dangerous Man

Post by Candy Hart »

January 22, 2013—After Midnight

"What if I told you everything I've done around you was to impress you?"

Candy's leather jacket rested on the ground beside her, despite winter's chill in the air. FireStar provided enough warmth to keep the cold at bay. Nothing stirred within the cemetery to distract her. The graves of the Murdock family sat before her, silent companions—witnessed to the unvoiced thoughts that played through her mind. From the fingertips of her right hand a flame flickered, casting light onto the business card she held in her left hand. The plainness of the card's layout, a simple font that gave a name and phone number, didn't disguise the expensiveness of the materials that constructed it. She ran the number through her mind again and again and wondered, What if..?

Her fires didn't have enough hate to burn. The evaporation of her miss-focused rage left a hollow she didn't know how to fill. Simon, the person she'd somehow gotten used to turning to, laid in his grave, unable to give her advice. Jay wouldn't talk to her and those that would keep her company she kept at a distance, all too aware that Simon's fate could easily become theirs. Simon's death had been more than enough collateral damage for the vengeance she sought. The only life she wanted to risk was her own.

The distance came at a cost. Two nights before Candy sat in a booth at the inn, watching those gathered enjoy the company of others. She sat at the edges, not a part of anything going on, a voyeur into the lives of those living and not waiting for death. Her desire to find some connection to the living, only led her to feeling further apart. She'd left the inn and spent another night amongst the graves.

What if..?

Lifted lettering of the name pressed against the flesh of her brushing thumb. The man's grin, Cheshire and deadly, remained with her after so many meetings. Her memory of his eyes wavered between seeing a sharp intellect and a dark madness she couldn't begin to understand. The two duels between them left her in no doubt of the man's combative skills. Dangerous.

The fire went out. She put the card away and reached for a fresh Badsider, popping the cap off without inspecting the seal. A long pull and Candy pulled out the card again, looking at it under what little light the night sky provided.

What if..?
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

January 23, 2013—After Midnight

The calling card remained secured in a pocket of her jacket, still there despite having memorized the number along with every angle of black font against pristine white. She'd taken the card out over and over again, wondering the same thing... What if... She had been minutes away from caving in a calling him, but she didn't need to. He planted himself firmly in her path, leaning against a newspaper bin, well within her line of sight and movement as she left the Outback following her shift.

"Hello there Miss Candy."

"It's jus' Candy." She approached the grinning man, keeping her distance just out of arms reach. Though, she wondered how quickly he could change that given the way she'd seen him move.

"I kind of like Miss Candy though... I guess it could come across a little snide though. Alright, Candy. Glad I caught you. Was wondering if you gave any thought to hanging out with me for a while?"

"Might have given it some." The noncommittal truth. The offer from the dangerous man had rarely left her mind since the night before. "Seem like a dangerous sort t'be around."

"I am. Right now, not really though. I am taking this seriously. But the more you get to know me, the more danger will come. I would not fault you, nor say anything if you just want to give me that card back and walk away. But, I think if any woman in this town can handle me, and the danger that sometimes comes around me... I think it's you. Part of the reason I am attracted to you."

I am. That statement alone caught her. But he had continued talking, burying her in the directness of his words. Silence held her, as she tried to process it all, before she found her voice again. "I don't date." The same three words, said without the usual strength. The little line she drew in the sand for herself and not anyone else. It lowered expectations, gave her room to think without commitment. No one has put this much effort into being around her except for Jesse. Those scars remained inside and out. She watched the man, taking in the lines of his grinning face, before looking away. "It's dangerous t'be close to me..." Simon Murdock's corpse visits her thoughts, her schooled features barely show a hint of the loss she suffered. The sentence hangs unfinished in the air between two dangerous people. She turns back to him. "Y'play pool?"

((adapted from play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

January 23, 2013—Before Dawn

Candy left the bar behind her, not turning back to see if he watched her go. His touch, now gone, still registered in her mind. The lightest pressure of his hand felt through her leather jacket at the base of her back when he'd held the door open for her. She hadn't bothered with a power struggle, her victory over him at the pool table and the bet she won—a favor owed to her from the dangerous man—put her in an accepting mood.

"I hope to see you again, like this."

"Like this?"

"Privately."

Like the touch, his words echoed in her thoughts. Candy ran her thumb over the business card, still housed safely in the pocket of her jacket. A small part of her able to admit, if only to herself, she wouldn't mind seeing him again either.
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

"Lemme cook you dinner."

--

January 24, 2013—After Midnight

Candy laid on the small leather couch, watching the unchanging ceiling of the bunker. The soft glow from dim lights gave her enough to see by, not that there is much to see. Aside from the furnished manors provided to her by the Arena for the titles she held, Candy never bothered much in the way of making a place feel lived in. There had been limited additions to the bunker. A couch, a coffee table, a bed. Her money went into the addition of a security system and small private gym rather than any sort of interior decoration; and they didn't do much for making it look like someone lived there. The signs of her—the motorcycle helmet and boots sitting by the door, the few items of food in the fridge, the army duffle of her belongings, and the files of information—could just as easily be removed in one trip. One trip and she could be erased.

His place had been different. Settled. Lived in. Full of the things Candy never really needed. A television, photos, room for more than one person to sit, kitchen utensils that amounted to more than a couple plates, glasses, and the basic silverware. The normality of his living arrangements made her feel out of place. Or maybe it was just him that put her off balance.

A dangerous man. After her dinner with him there could be no doubt of that. For all the normalcy his home presented, the things he shared of himself were beyond belief. Tales from a mad man, delivered with a sincere voice and easy grin. A week ago she would not have bought into such impossible stories. Now—with him as the storyteller—she believed.

Without thought, her finger tips touched lightly against her stomach, tracing the line of the scar beneath her shirt. Scars that served as a constant reminder of the risk of believing what someone said. Drawing her hand away, she turned her head, looking from the ceiling and to the coffee table. In the soft light provided, the flower could be seen. Small, vibrant red petals gathered around the floret of the valley flower.

"I'm bad with livin' things."

"It's already been plucked. It's living on borrowed time."

Her own borrowed time stretched out before her, unsure of when or where or how the end would come. The desire to avenge the deaths of those close to her meant accepting the possibility of her own at the same hands. Even knowing the fate she risked, she would not turn away from it.

"I don't want to change you Candy. Just give you a flower. Nothing more than that."

Did a death looming in the unknowable future mean she couldn't live in the here and now?

A week ago she would have had a different answer.
Last edited by Candy Hart on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

January 26, 2013 — After the Grant Tournament

Her exchange with Jay running through her mind. It gave her no insight if he'd gotten and opened the package... if it had made any difference. Jay hadn't been quite as volatile toward her, but she couldn't help but feel she'd handed him the knife to slip into her back. Maybe she deserved it for pushing him away...

--

Every night for four nights the Dangerous Man had been her companion and with the passing of each moment in his presence, Candy found herself growing more used having him around. Not just used to having him around... but looking forward to it. Even with the guards she kept up, even with the fears she had, even with knowing how dangerous keeping his company could be.... she wanted him around. Candy stood up in the lighthouse, watching the water below and waiting.

Her secrets kept her at a distance from others. The distance kept her safe. Safety kept her alone. Candy stood at the point of two choices... continue to hold on to her secrets or risking everything she feared for the chance to hold on to something else.

The steps on the lighthouse stairs, echoed upwards to announce his arrival...

--

"That's more than anyone else knows 'bout me Mad Man."

--

A ship lost at sea, he offered her safe harbor. His arms encircled her, giving her a sense of safety and comfort. Her own arms found their way around him as she rested her head against his chest. His form felt solid and stable, more so than anything else had in the last few years. Simon Murdock's death had further rocked the instability of her reality following the discovery of the death of her parents. Three deaths she felt deeply but had never shed a tear for. There, in the protection of a mad man's arms, the dam broke. The soft shuddering of her shoulders the only indication that the woman known as Hard Candy could cry.

((adapted from play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

January 26, 2013 — After the Grant Tournament (Continued)

The words of the moment didn't matter. He held her. Delicate touches exchanged between them. His temple resting against her own. The brush of his cheek. She pulled back only far enough to look into his eyes and found herself caught in his gaze. His head dipped, following the small distance to lean in and press his lips to her own for the first time. Mouth meeting mouth in a soft, slow kiss. A kiss she returned without any fear.

((adapted from play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

January 30, 2013 — After Midnight (Part One)

A light rain fell from the sky but didn't touch the woman leaning against the newspaper bin. A heat radiated out from her, keeping her dry and adding a light mist into the air. She took a slow pull from the Badsider in her right hand. From a quick glance, she looked calm as she brought the Badsider to her lips for a slow pull. A longer inspection would reveal the tense edge of her form, a coil wrought tight and ready to spring. A buzz ran through Candy, angry and urgent. FireStar leaked through the crack in her barricade against it. The earlier energies from its siblings feeding into its wrath.

Out. I want Out.

The opal's desires merged deep with her own thoughts, directing them and turning them into darker thoughts. Candy stood, aware of it and unable to subdue it without giving in to its desire. She itched for destruction. A fight waged on within her just to keep her rooted in the place where she stood, holding out for the only out she could think of...

He approached her in the rain, a beacon in the darkness...

"Hello there beautiful. You alright?"

Danger curved her smile as he entered the sphere around her where the rain dare not fall. It flickered and faded, taking on a note of seriousness as finally allowed herself to move. The beer left on top of the newspaper bin. "You offered t'fight outside with me once... I want t'take you up on it."

In reaction to her words, his body moved into position—ready for what those words meant.

"Uhhh... you don't want to do that."

"Would I ask if I didn't want it?" She could feel herself giving way under the drive of the opal. Hands moved up, unzipping the red leather jacket from her form and tossing it aside. Eyes locked onto the man before her. Violence there, but also a plea. If it wasn't him, it would be someone else. Someone who wasn't him—someone less likely to be able to handle a fight with her. Hard to explain through the fog of the opal in her mind, unsure if the request from her thoughts reached him with her voice.

"Well then... Let's see what you got Candy. You won't break me."

If Candy needed a fight, she couldn't have done much better than one with the Dangerous Man.

((adapted from play))
Last edited by Candy Hart on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

January 30, 2013 — After Midnight (Part Two)

A dance of violence between two bodies. Neither opponent able to take an upper hand for long. They made the entirety of the street their ring—claiming bruises and cuts from concrete, stone, and brick as easily as they collected them from fist and foot. Time stretched on and the minutes turned into an hour. Something in the fight between the man and woman hindered the opal's hope that the brutality would further crack the seals in place against it. The pain hummed through Candy, making her more and more aware as the fight burned through FireStar's reserves.

The pavement felt wet and cold against the back of her arms, his form half straddling her. She could see his fist ready to throw another punch when the fight finally went out of her. The opal silent, only the pain of her body voiced in her mind. She heard him groan a laugh, felt him pull away. Her eyes closed to the rain falling on her face, a slow inventory running through her mind of the singing aches. Her pain, her body, her mind. She pressed her tongue against the fresh on her lip.

"You okay?" His voice sounded further away.

"I'm okay." Gratitude filled her along with the aches, a gratefulness that he had been there to save her from herself. "...you?" It seemed a silly thing to ask, but she asked it anyway.

"Yeah, I'm fine... in a general manner. That is the first time I've done that with a... hanging out friend."

He sat on the bench, his hand swiping at the rain on his face and slicking back wet hair. She could hear the chuckle coming from him where he sat. Her own quiet chuckle responded, "Hanging out friend." Her head turned back up to the sky, she smiled to herself. Elbows scrapped against the street as she pushed herself up to sit and then stand. A glance showed her where her jacket waited to be reclaimed. The little energy left to her wasn't worth fetching it. Tired steps brought her towards the bench and she dropped into a kneel before him. Her hands lightly grasped the lines of his jaw, drawing their lips together. A slow, deep kiss. His arms wrapped around her, pulling her close. The pain from the cut on her lip, the taste of copper mixed between them, the rain, the night, the opals, faded from her mind in that instant.

((adapted from play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

Wrappers from the tacos she brought with her on the impromptu visit sat with the sack, forgotten, on the coffee table. Their eating done, but the conversation continued...

"I like learning about you."

"Y'can ask me anythin."

"Mmm, I will ask you anything. I was just waiting until I knew you were comfortable with me..."

"I am comfortable..."

"I think I'll keep you as my... girlfriend."

"If y'want."

"I definitely do want."

--

January 30, 2013 — Night

Candy walked the beach of the Overlord Island, her thoughts continuing to return to hours earlier. Girlfriend. The word made her heart rush. She agreed, no longer denying that something existed between them. Something more than friends hanging out. But she'd been unable to address him as her boyfriend in turn. Unable to say the word out loud to herself on the privacy of the beach. A fear born from previous experiences held her back and forced her to go slow—waiting for readiness before giving into want.

((adapted from play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

February 1, 2013 — After Midnight

There they stood, in the street, taking turns making and breaking eye contact. Two questions and Candy's understanding of what was between them faltered...

He sighed, shrugging. "What do you want to do darlin'?"

Her axis felt askew. As much as she tried to balance it, she failed. Her thoughts running the same circles over and over. Afraid, now, that he didn't see her as she thought he did—clearly. Part of her wanted to run, shut herself back in and say I told you so. How could she be dumb enough to believe she could have something good? That the last few days could have been anything but history repeating in some twisted way? Part of her wanted to walk away, shut him out, take space and slow down. Make him feel the way he had suddenly made her feel—further away from the man she'd felt so close to only moments before those questions. It hurt to feel that way.

She pushed her hair back, watching him waiting for her response.

What would either of those options gain her? Neither would make her feel any better.

She trusted him. She wanted to move beyond fear.

Stepping forward, she closed the distance between them. A hand on his cheek, gently pulling him into a kiss. Long and slow, parting for only short moments for air before continuing again. She kissed him and forgot all the thoughts from before, let them become trifles that didn't need consideration. His hand found the small of her back, pulling her into him hungrily. She melted into him in the darkness of the night.

Finally, she broke the kiss with a long steadying breath, "I want t'get some food with my boyfriend."

((adapted from play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

February 3, 2013 — Morning

Skin buzzed, electric and alive between the two. Lips coming together as hands explored uncovered terrain. Only a few barriers remained—the barest coverings of cloth on each. Even so, the press between them left little unknown. His form covering her own. The heat between them filled the bed, threatened to set it ablaze. The room could have burned around them and Candy wouldn't have noticed.

Desire for the Dangerous Man hummed in every nerve. Wanting, needing, hoping. A hunger revealed to a woman that never knew she'd been starving. She wondered of what would happen when the obstructions of fabric gave way to flesh. What would happen when bodies met without restraint?

The fear found her, cut into her thoughts and whispered of the price she paid before. The flash of a blade. The dark smile. The betrayal. The lie. The pain. Her only experience with intimacy marred her memories the same way the scars from that night marred her skin. Jesse. A poison that refused to leave, refused to let her go. It threatened to overwhelm her, pull her down.

Eyes closed, she forced that night from her mind. Focused on the here and now, the days leading up to it. The Mad Man's words and actions. The deluge of honesty he met her questions with. The space and time he granted her. The faith he showed.

She didn't want Jesse to have that part of her anymore...

She wanted what the Dangerous Man offered her—Him.

Her kisses turned softer, though the heat remained. Using her own body, she guided him until they knelt together on the bed. Comfort found in his solid presence, an anchor that kept her rooted. Safe. Hands found the plains of his chest and cheek, drawing out the kiss.

A brave hand dropped, easing from his chest to the line of cloth that covered him.

"Side from me not drinkin' th'water... are there any other precautions I should be takin'?"
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

February 14, 2013 — Valentine's Day

Dinner over, two bodies rested and enjoyed the night from the balcony. Winter's chill failed to reach them, due to the artificial heat that extended out from the man's home or the warmth that surrounded their closely knitted forms. Candy sat in his lap, leaning, curled against the dangerous man's side. Palms pressed together and fingers entwined, punctuated now and then by a brush of her thumb or squeeze of hand that he returned. Minutes passed in silence with only the rhythm of their hearts and the soft sound of their breathing to break it.

Since Candy's decision to end near seven years of celibacy eleven days prior the compatibility of their bodies continued to be explored. His desire for her expressed in the same way as everything else... holding nothing back. His passion kindled her own fires, bringing a heat that burned hotter than even the opal ignited. But even without that searing fervor coursing through her, she enjoyed this simple moment as much as others. Eyes closed, her mind focused on the subtle movements between them—beat and breath—storing every small detail for when she might someday need it. Need this memory of him and them together.

His solid form cradled her. His scent surrounded her head, nestle in the crook of his neck. Skin felt warm against her flesh, his muscles sturdy and protective. Her heart seemed to rush, afraid of losing this comfort, even as the steady thud of his heart calmed her. A life spent going from one place to the next, he made her want to stay. Ironic when she considered part of his Valentine's day gift to her—a necklace beyond expensive. An investment. If you ever feel the need to get out of town... She appreciated not just what it enabled her to do, but what it meant. He gave her the freedom to do what she needed and it only made her love him more.

When did it start? Not at first sight, but with a slow discovery. Layers of her defenses peeled away only to discover him rooted deeply within. The risk she'd taken on a mad man to just have a companion somehow led her to something more. She'd felt it for days. In so many small moments the thought sat at the center of her mind, on the tip of her tongue, and etched into her very being.

His voice eased into the silence of the night, parting it without any real disruption, "Best Valentine's Day ever..."

"Yeah..." The singular word carried on the sigh of an exhale, not the words she wanted to say. She turned her head delivering a light and almost innocent kiss to his neck as the he words ran through her mind. Her face dipped in, nuzzling a cheek against him and the words hammered in her heart. The need to tell him stilled her. With a steadying breath, she sat up enough to gaze down on him. The tenderness she held for him naked in her smile. Words remained too difficult to risk.

Her hand slipped free of his, moving to delicately trace a line from the edge of his cheekbone and down. Lips lowered onto his, a light meeting on first brush that held the sentiment she continued to leave unspoken. The words she longed to say mixing with the faint taste of pizza and beer. Drawing back, she pressed her forehead to his as, with eyes closed, she sought to find courage. The words sung at the back of her throat but she could only speak his name. It hung there in the air between them.

"I love you, Candy."

He beat her to it, causing her heart to skip. Its beat lifted and fluttered in her chest while those words echoed in her mind. I love you, Candy. When she opened her eyes, they gazed at him in joy and gratitude. Happy that he loved her and grateful that, like so many other times, he made it easier for her to be honest with him. The words she'd stumbled over time and again now came effortlessly, carrying all of what he meant to her with them...

"I love you, too, Dillon."

((adapted from play))

Return to “Black & Blue. And Red All Over.”