A New Baroness for Old Market

What do you tell a brawler with two black eyes? Nothing. Candy already told them twice.

Moderator: Candy Hart

Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

A New Baroness for Old Market

Post by Candy Hart »

April 22, 2012 -- Sunday

Someone had to point out the message to Candy. When she saw it she stood there looking at it for a few minutes, squinting as though to determine the meaning behind it...

After some long thought on the matter, I have decided that the grant shall be given to Candy.

~Tass

Skepticism and suspicion hard coded into her DNA, she couldn't fathom any reason for the old man to give the grant to her. Surely, he wasn't foolish enough to think such a gift would endear him to her any?

Whatever the reason, however, the grant belonged to her.

Quickly, she jotted down a short reply in acceptance.

Thanks.

- Candy

She walked away from the boards, thinking on her options for the grant and unsure what her next move should be... but she knew just who to ask.

((Originally posted on RoH boards))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Advice for a Grant

Post by Candy Hart »

April 23, 2012 -- Monday

Halfway into the training session, her quick breath an echo to Jay's as they sparred in preparation for their headlining match, Candy broached the subject of the grant.

"Did you see the Arena boards?"

"No, I didn't."

"Got a grant to challenge."

"Yeah? Somebody up there likes you, I guess." Jay shrugged, wiping sweat out of his eyes with his forearm.

A smirk to the comment that someday up there liked her, she pushed her hair back from her eyes with one hand. "What do you think?"

"If it was me, I'd challenge for Old Market. No defenses and they've the lowest wins to loss ratio. They'd be a Commoner otherwise."

With a short nod the words were considered before she put the thought aside and returned her focus fully to training.
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Challenge Issued

Post by Candy Hart »

April 24, 2012 -- Tuesday

Candy stood before the Arena's board, looking over the other messages. Jay's advice running through her mind as she considered the current holders of the baronies. Part of her wanted to challenge the Old Man for giving her the grant to begin with... but Jay's words returned over and over. In the matter, she would trust his judgment.

Camilla -

I've a grant to burn and I'm calling you out.

- Candy R. Hart

((Originally posted on RoH boards))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Candy doesn't like to be kept waiting.

Post by Candy Hart »

May 19, 2012 -- Saturday

The weapons rack sat before Candy with its assortment of weapons from deadly serious to playfully harmless. Her hand rested on the base of a steel bat—not her own. That one remained with many other personal items locked up in her bunker until a time she could return there without worry of the guard or some other interested party following her. Touching the hard surface of the bat, reminded her of the reason she'd picked up the first bat to begin with: Jay. A twitch showed in her jaw and she brought her hand away. The butterfly knife she carried would be enough.

--

Candy sat at a table, waiting. The time for the challenge came and went without the Baroness of Old Market showing. Thirty minutes after the scheduled time, Candy got tired of waiting. Not only had her time been wasted, but she'd given up a shift to be there. She moved to the boards and stuck up the following note:

I showed up. You didn't.

- Candy

A hand pushed through her hair. Candy decided to see what she could do about picking up the late shift instead. The cash she'd taken off Jay could only last her so long.

((Originally posted on RoH Boards))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

A new weapon.

Post by Candy Hart »

May 24, 2012 -- Wednesday

Two men stood behind the bar to the side of a trapdoor that led down into the pool hall's cellar. Candy watched the exchanged, not really listening, while she took a pull from her Badsider. The owner of the bar creased his brow, scratching the back of his neck while the other explained the situation. Through the process, the handyman set down his tools—kept in a large, wooded, open top tool box—and pulled out a cloth to wipe what he could of the grease from his hands. Candy's attention shifted from the men and to the box of tools as it took up counter space to her left. Partially buried under a couple other tools and several odds and ends and partially poking out the opposite end of the box, the crowbar gained Candy's notice. It looked new.

Halfway through the thought of picking up the crowbar to test its weight, Candy became aware of the drama starting up to her right.

"Davey, stop." Her voice sounded in a soft plea, an attempt to avoid being the focus of attention. The young girl tugged on the sleeve of a man's jacket, trying to draw him away from another man.

Davey didn't listen. Aggressively shrugging the girl off his jacket and getting into the other man's face. "You tryin' to steal my girl? That it?"

"Nothing like that, mate. We was just having a chat." The guy had his hands up in the universal sign of not wanting any trouble. He took a step back from Davey as the man got in his face.

"Bullsh*t." Davey followed with a forward step, shoving the other as he retreated.

The man Davey shoved lost his balance, stumbling backwards an colliding with Candy's stool. She managed to gain her feet without falling, but the impact knocked her beer from her hand. The bottle fell to its side, losing liquid as it rolled off the bar. Candy's jaw twitched with irritation. She turned her gaze on Davey.

His eyes tracked from the man trying to get up to the woman giving him the eye. "What? You got a problem?" His tone and manner illustrated a man that didn't have trouble hitting a woman.

The dangerous smile curved Candy's lips at his words. She reached for the crowbar.

--

Davey moaned from his position on the floor, bloodied and already showing bruising. His girlfriend worried over him. The man, spared from the trouble of Davey, couldn't bring up the courage to thank the dangerous looking woman with the crowbar. She didn't look finished cracking skulls.

"Hey that's--" The handyman and owner of the place had reappeared. A hand from the owner stopped the handyman's words. Candy's eyes turned toward the owner of the crowbar.

"Nice. What's it made out of?" A twist of the bloody crowbar in her hands.

The handyman blinked and looked toward the owner for some indication on what was going on. The owner just nodded for him to answer Candy's question. "Uh... uh... titanium."

Candy nodded her approval. "I'm gonna keep it."

The handyman watched the woman looking at him, a hard gaze that just dared him to argue the call. From the floor, Davey moaned again. The handyman nodded, "S-sure.. sure."

Her attention turned to the owner of the bar, "Alec."

"Candy."

"Badsider for the road."

The owner paused, then asked, "Your tab?"

A glance toward the handyman, she considered the man, before bringing her attention back to Alec, "I'll settle it."

Alec nodded, taking out a cold Badsider and setting it, unopened, on the bar.

Candy took a bit of cash from her jacket pocket and exchanged it for the beer. She gave the owner a short nod of thanks, then headed out of the hall—stepping over Davey's legs and passing those who were careful to avoid being in her way.
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

The Challenge

Post by Candy Hart »

May 30, 2012 -- Wednesday

Outside of the ring, Candy watched as Camilla entered with a double-edged axe at her side. The memory of Jesse's blade biting into her flesh ran through her mind as Candy followed her opponent into the ring. FireStar whispered. A gesture of her arm, flames encircled the crowbar and the fist that held it. Candy lowered her head in a short nod to Camilla.

--

Twice during the first match the blade of the axe bit into Candy's flesh, each cut waking a beast of anger. In the tenth round, her opponent went low—right into the path of the fiery weapon. With a primal sound from its wielder, the crowbar descended upon the ducking woman and struck her.

Even with the first match called, Candy struggled with wanting to strike the woman again.

Destroy her... Destroy her...Destroy her

Apple's words cut into the fog, "Do you two need a break?"

With effort, Candy backed away from Camilla. "A moment." She forced the fire from the crowbar and worked to bottle the rage. Her own. FireStar's. Both. Each wanted destruction in their own way—but the woman was more selective with her targets compared to the Opal.

A slow breath, then another.

Candy nodded to Apple. A turn of wrist and the flames returned to the crowbar. "We're ready."

--

She held back. Focusing on containing the rage more than her opponent. Camilla landed another strike, and then forced the crowbar from Candy's hand.

Weaponless. The rage came. Instinct took over.

--

The second match ended with her opponent on the ground, unable to stand—bruised and burnt. Candy stepped away, eyes roaming the Arena as though looking for her next fight.

Once more Apple's words drew her attention, "Will you be loyal to the Overlord or not?"

"I am loyal to myself and no other."

Jaycy entered the ring, kneeling by Camilla. Candy spared the pair a glance on her way out of the ring. "Nice fight." Offered without a care that her opponent likely didn't hear her.

Energy still up, Candy left the Arena, looking for another fight.

((Adapted from Live Play))
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

It comes with a manor.

Post by Candy Hart »

June 3, 2012 — Sunday

Candy navigated through the foot traffic outside of the Cardinal Inn, the stony exterior and line of windows taken in as she approached. The building looked historic. Even so, it appeared well cared for. She stopped at the door, and having no key to enter with, looked for a buzzer or bell of some sort. Standing out against the stone to the right side of the door, a mother of pearl button rested within an delicately ornate silver frame. Candy pressed the button, yet did not hear anything from within to indicate that the doorbell worked. She waited for half a minute before pressing her finger to the button one more, this time not letting up.

The peephole window in the door snapped open to reveal fade grey eyes glaring with irritation. Taking in the rough appearance of the woman outside. "No soliciting." The man barked, before the cover to the peephole snapped back into place.

Her finger lifted from the buzzer as the man appeared, returned the moment the man vanished. A twitch to the edge of her jaw, she watched the peephole for his return.

The man must have made several steps away and debated before returning, given the time that passed before the peephole snapped open again. "No petitions." This time the window stayed open; the waited to witness the woman leaving.

"You Franky?"

"Franklin." He corrected. A pause, then he added, "And we're not hiring."

"Already got a job." A shift of her hand from above the buzzer to the pocket of her jeans, Candy pulled out the baronial ring G had passed on to her the night before and held it up for the man to see. "I'm the new Baroness."

The gray eyes only lost part of the irritation as once more they took in the woman standing outside. Slowly, the peephole shut. Candy's fist lifted, ready to pound on the door. Before she could do so, the door opened, revealing a rail thin old man with a head full of white hair. He stepped back, allowing Candy to enter before he shut the door and locked it. Resigned to his fate with the rough looking woman, he lifted a hand to the building's interior. "I'll give you the tour."
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Post by Candy Hart »

June 3, 2012 — Sunday

The main room and the kitchen occupied the ground floor of the building. A large hearth filled the short wall to the right of the main room, the rest of the space given up to various seating arrangements. Franklin pointed out that the space could be used to hear petitions from the citizens of the district, hold meetings, or even host parties. The last of which earned a derisive snort from Candy. Grumping out a short, "Kitchen's there," the man gestured toward a doorway that lead to the back while heading away from it and to the stairs leading up. Candy made a mental note to check out the kitchen once the tour came to an end.

Six guestrooms took up the whole of the second floor. The third floor consisted of a master bedroom, a private office, a small—more personal—greeting room, and three additional rooms for guests, family, or friends. Franklin's tone held a forced inquiry, wondering if more rooms needed to be prepared. The prompting earned a grunt from Candy before she turned away and headed back down the stairs.

"Checkin' out the kitchen."

~

Franklin looked most comfortable in the kitchen. Likely, he would have looked even more comfortable had Candy not been there with him. He explained to that prior to working at the manor, he worked in the kitchen when it had been an inn and open to the public. Best chili in the land. The pride he held there almost alleviated his gruff exterior. Almost.

Candy continued to root around. "Where's the beer?"

"Beer ma'am?"

"Candy. Or Baroness if you've a hard on for titles Franks."

"Franklin."

The pair exchange equally flat looks before Candy interjected again, "Beer."

"I could order some, ma'am."

"..." Candy pulled out an unopened jar of sliced dill pickles. "You do that, Franks. You know Red Orc Brewery? Half Orc Jake?" She opened the jar, stuck a pickle spear into her mouth, then looked around for paper and something to write with.

"The brewery and owner are well known, ma'am."

She spotted a pad and pen near a hanging phone. "Nother addition?" Commenting on the phone around the pickle spear. Franklin nodded. She pulled the note pad over and started scrawling. "Get as much as we can store." Tearing the bit of paper from the pad and stepping to hand it over to the hired hand. "Also... get someone to run by the local Watch an' ask after the case involvin' this guy." She held up the bit of paper with the name written on it for him.

"Want a detective speak directly to you on the matter?" Looking at the name before taking the slip of paper from her.

Candy's face showed she questioned his intention with the suggestion. She'd been hauled in once and that had been enough for her.

"Bring a detective here to report to you." Franklin clarified and the expression eased from Candy's features.

"You can do that?" Pointing the half eaten pickle spear at him.

"It is a baron's request."

Smirking to herself, she nodded. "That works."
Candy Hart
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Hardest Ever

Remodeling.

Post by Candy Hart »

June 5, 2012 — Tuesday Afteroon

Case closed.

Candy sat in the upstairs private office, booted feet crossed and resting on the edge of the expensive dark wood of her desk. The file, left behind by the detective from the Watch, laid open on her lap as she thumbed through the information. The detective had covered a good portion of it, but the file held little extras here and there. The list of suspects, each one now off the hook, included herself and one Jay Capistrano. The folder included a picture that looked more like a candid from back in his blue-hair days than a mug shot. She turned to another document in the file, pushing Jay from her thoughts as she did.

Victim-turned suspect. Candy found the pages containing the descriptions and photos of the items found from the man's trophy box—all but the one she took that night. A few of the articles of jewelry had been matched to unsolved cases in the area and the details of those cases followed, brutal rapes and murders. The man would not be missed.

A knock at the open door brought her eyes up from the file and to Franklin.

"Yeah Franks?"

"Kyle Duggan is here ma'am." When the name didn't appear to register with the Baroness, he continued, "The man you request Alec send to you."

"Good." Candy closed the file, setting it in the desk as she stood up. "An' you've takin' care of the furniture from those rooms?"

Franklin nodded, "Hired men from the district to help out, per Mr. Murdock's suggestion." Stepping back as Candy exited the office, he inclined his head toward the private greeting room. "Mr. Duggan is waiting in there."

She nodded shortly to Franklin's mention of Simon's help, pleased that the task would be accomplished one way or another. "Thanks Franks."

"Of course, Ma'am."

Candy twitched a smirk, "I'll holler if I need anythin' further."

Franklin bowed his head, taking the dismissal. Under his breath, though with a tint of begrudging amusement, "I'm sure you will."

She watched the older, lanky man make his way down the hallway before stepping into the greeting room.

Kyle Duggan stood, nervously waiting. He straightened his posture at her arrival—be it in respect of her title or from a healthy awareness of her woman's brutal capabilities. Kyle hadn't forgotten the scene of the man she beat with his—now her—crowbar. "Baroness."

"Kyle. Glad you could make it, given the short notice."

Kyle bobbed a nod, though he wasn't sure why she'd requested the visit. The possibilities were endless, few of them good. Washing his hands before venturing, "Alec... didn't say what you wanted."

"To repay a debt."

Kyle blanked. Recovering, he questioned, "Baroness?"

"I'd like to hire you t'do some work for me. Need some walls taken down. Alec said it's a job you could handle. He mistaken?"

"No. No, not at all, Baroness." Things started to look up for Kyle, a proud smile surfacing. "That's a job I can handle."

"Good. I already got some bodies t'help you with the project." She stepped toward the door, signaling Kyle to follow her, "Let me show you what you'll be doin."

Return to “Black & Blue. And Red All Over.”