The Empress & The Line

Tales from a goblin-infested brewery (home of Jake Thrash and Badsider Brew), and a lawyer-infested sports bar (home of Kalamere Ar'Din and The Line).

Moderators: Jake, Kalamere

JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

“Love ya,” she read off the side of the little heart shaped candy before popping it in her mouth. ‘Be mine’ was next. Jewell ate that one too. She also ate the ‘hug me’ one that spilled out of the bag and another ‘love ya’.

Her tongue had started feeling a bit fuzzy from all the sugar a few dozen ‘love ya’s ago, but that had not stopped The Empress. Oh no! She was determined to laze the day away in Kal’s loft in her robe of silk and lace, sprawled out with her bare legs thrown over the arm of the couch, a cheesy romance novel and the dwindling bag of sweetart hearts for company.

In her opinion, they were one of the few redeeming features of the silly holiday known as Valentine’s Day. Any holiday whose prominent colors were pink and red was instantly suspect to the blue-haired Faerie. Also, naked babies flying around with weapons hardly seemed romantic. But she could overlook all its apparent flaws since so many of the local stores seemed to be stocking up on chocolate.

And sweetart heart candies.

“Oh, ‘kiss me’!” That one she set aside on a growing pile of hearts all bearing the same message. When there was nothing left in the bag but sugary dust (which she absolutely emptied into her mouth only to cause a coughing fit), Jewell scooped up the collection of ‘kiss me’ heart, deposited them in a little glass jar, wandered downstairs, and left them on Kal’s desk.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

She lied about not going blonde for Valentine’s weekend.

And about returning the lacy red thing.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Kalamere could move more smoothly through the dark than just about anyone Jewell knew, but she was still a light sleeper by necessity (when not trapped in her regular litany of nightmares) and stirred when he got into bed.

The blonde Faerie did not appear to mind the disruption judging by the sleepy smile and drowsy greeting she murmured before shifting to curl up closer to him.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

It was a rather blasé admission as she lay in bed next to him. “So I kissed Sin at the ball the other night. It was nice and all, but you're better.”

When he drew her closer to reinforce that thought, she didn’t object.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

It didn’t take her long to pack up all her stuff. Dresses, shoes, and toiletries were all thrown rather haphazardly into her trunk. Why not? It had an anti-wrinkle spells on it anyway. Jewell locked it with a click and headed towards the stairs.

When The Empress departed, she left some things behind.

The knit throw on the couch and a jar of seaglass. January’s issue of Metropolitan fashion magazine on the coffee table next to a book about Japanese sword fighting. A bar of soap in the shower that smelled of vanilla and orange. The lingering touch of glamour that was distinctly her own. One pair of sky high heels in the closet. Hair pins in the bathroom. A blue pen with feathers on the end.

And a final candy heart that said ‘xoxo’ on the table where he sat.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

There was a Faerie in his bed.

Her dress was wrinkled, her skin burnt and bruised beneath. She hugged his pillow to her chest, her cheek pressed against it.

Blue hair fell wild across her face. Beneath it, her features were smoothed out in a sleep momentarily filled with pleasant dreams.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

She sent him an address and a note:

come swimming with me

And when he arrived (and got them inside, a skill Jewell always found particularly appealing), she had no qualms with stripping off her dress even though the cold night air prickled her bare skin and her body still bore the many scars of the ritual she had willingly undergone.

She had no shame. Not with him. Not tonight.

Tonight, she was going to show him how she could make the water dance.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

His lips on her skin, her fingers tangled in his hair, his arm around her as she drifted off to sleep.

That was the memory she wanted to take into Faerie.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

She liked to send him notes and alcohol. This one arrived on Thursday afternoon with an amber bottle.

I didn’t die because I’m AWESOME. I brought this back from Faerie though. It’s supposed to be like scotch only better.

xoxo
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“It’ll only be for a little bit.”

“Yeah,” Sapphire agreed. “And then we’ll bring him right back.”

“And he wants to go with us. Don’t you Rath?” Jewell looked up at the half-ogre and smiled, patting him on the arm.

“It’s for a good cause too: emptying out Jewell’s closet.”

“So I can buy more clothes.”

Sapphire rolled her eyes. “Well, that was a given.”

The Empress shrugged. “Still a good cause.”

“Whatever. We also promise to stop at the pet store on the way back for him too on the condition that he only eats the not-cute ones.”

“Right. No kittens or bunnies or puppies.”

“I think gerbils are kind of cute too.”

“Okay. No gerbils either.”

“Good.”

With that agreed upon, they both turned to Kal and smiled at him. It was the same, touched by glamour, ever so charming, head tilted slightly to the right, smile. “So, can we borrow him?”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Jewell showed up at The Line rather promptly after the the list of Madness seeds was released to the public. There was a thick group of people there already, all lined up and prepared to lay down money for their brackets. She smiled and easily charmed her way through the group in order to get behind the bar.

She kept out of Jerry’s way but purposely stepped right into Kal’s path as he tried to hand off a tankard of ale to someone. She was not really smiling anymore, her brows knit together in confusion. “Did you have anything to do with this?” She lifted the newspaper up so he could see the Madness seeds; her name was circled in blue at #1 under Monk division.

"Aye... ?" answered the elf somewhat hesitantly. It was his division, so the answer seemed obvious, and yet the look on the blue haired Faerie's face suggested it was not the right answer to deliver.

The brilliant smile that lit up her face should have given him some measure of reassurance in the split second before the petite Empress pinned him rather adeptly against the back bar. There were several hoots from the crowd along the bar as she kissed him and a grumble of dismay from the patron whose tankard of ale hit the floor.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

A courier delivered a pamphlet for some posh, island beach resort with a note attached:

Join us if you get tired of crunching numbers and making money off my losses.
xo
J
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

“Fifty-four. Fifty-five.” She lay with her cheek pillowed in her hand, piling the coins from her Madness winnings carefully on his bare stomach. “Fifty-six. Fifty-seven.”

The towers of gold wobbled unsteadily as Kal reached for his glass of scotch. “No no! Don’t move!” Her lilting, breathy laughter mingled with the clinking and jingling of the coins as they tumbled back to the bed. “Now I’ll never know if you cheated me.”
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The patrons of The Line were in a rather merry mood. There was a pretty Empress sitting on the bar, blitzed out of her mind yet still drinking to celebrate her most recent marriage; a half-ogre bouncer at the door with a flower garland on his head; a round of drinks supposedly on the house; and no Kalamere to dispute it.

Jerry had tried. Good man, that Jerry, but he really was no match for the glamour wielding Faerie when she was at her most charming. “But Jerry,” she had smiled at him with her hand on his arm, “this is a happy occasion. I so wanted you to celebrate with me!” The kiss to his cheek had likely sealed the deal.

Come morning, he was undoubtedly less pleased with the devilish, blue haired lady when she left him to clean up the impromptu party (which may have gotten a little out of hand as the night went on) just so she could stumble home to nurse the worst hangover she had suffered in years and face the wrath of Ishmerai.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

The clock informed her that she was already running twenty-two minutes late for her spa appointment in preparation for the gala this evening. Yet, she was only a few feet closer to the door than she had been the first time she had attempted to leave. If the half-elf wasn’t so damn good looking and distracting, it would make the process a lot easier.

But he was and attempt number two really wasn’t going much better.

She only stopped kissing him long enough to say, “I can come back and get dressed here. Maybe at two-thirty.” Then her lips were on his again, her fingers tangled in his hair. She was really going to need to reevaluate this plan. “Two. Better make it two. And if you mess up my hair, I’ll make you pay for it later."

Return to “Red Orc Brewery & The Line”