Duel Master Tournament and Petition

Random McChanse
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Duel Master Tournament and Petition

Post by Random McChanse »

As some of you know and the others might have guessed, my original plan for the Duel Master tournament fell apart because I had the bad timing to introduce the idea at the same time the March Madness DoS tournament was announced. :P The time between then and now has allowed me to reflect on the reasons and structure for the tournament, and so my first purpose for this announcement is to detail the new structure of the Duel Master tournament.

Secondly, this announcement will serve as a petition/sign-up sheet of sorts, to determine interest in the Duel Master, as I would not wish to push through a tournament unsupported by the community. So, if the following seems like something you'd be interested in participating/spectating, please reply to this post and show your support! On the other hand, if there is something about the tournament that you object to, please post it so I know why you do not wish to participate.

DUEL MASTER

The Duel Master is a 16-person multi-discipline single-elimination invitational tournament designed to determine the most skilled duelist across all three disciplines of Rings of Honor (Swords, Fists, and Magic). Think of it as the Head-to-Head to the Tour de RhyDin's Battle Royale (if I may borrow the terms from Fantasy IFL ;)).

MATCH FORMAT

Each match will consist of three duels: one Swords duel, one Fists duel, and one Magic duel. The duelist in the top rung will pick the first duel to be contested, and the duelist in the bottom rung will pick the second; the remaining duel will be fought third.

All matches will be fought in the Annex, and each duelist will receive four fancies/specials/advanced spells to use for each of the duels. Duels won will NOT count towards WoL in any of the disciplines.

Those who cannot use magic will be given means to indirectly fight, like an enchanted item or perhaps even a hologram machine...*ahem* Matt *ahem*. Furthermore, for DoM advanced spells do NOT include Mage-rank spells.

SCORING

At the end of each duel, the winner will receive points equal to the difference in scores. For example, if a duelist won the first duel 5-3, he would be leading 2-0. If his/her opponent won the second duel 5-2.5, then the score would be 2-2.5 in favor of the opponent. At the end of the three duels, whoever has the most points wins the match. If there is a tie at the end of three duels, the winner will be the one who won 2 out of 3 of the duels.

INVITATIONS

In respect of the Madness's use of the histories to determine seeding, I decided to review the standings to determine the highest ranked duelists across all three disciplines, in order to accommodate those duelists who were not able to fully participate in the 2006 Tour and to keep people from being confused on whether this is part of the Tour, which it is not.

As it happens, there are only five duelists in RoH who hold or have held the top WoL rank in all three disciplines:

Xerzes Maureen (accepted)
Harris D'Artainian (accepted)
Cory Havoick (accepted)
Vanion Shadowcast (accepted)
Cassius Gaius Maximus (accepted)

Add to that the next highest ranked duelist across all three disciplines:

Artemus Kurgen (accepted)

And finally, add the top 4 from the Tour, as it is the only multi-discipline event in Rings of Honor that I know of:

Matthew Simon (accepted)
Kheldar Drasinia (accepted)
Rena Cronin (accepted)
Bran Bale (accepted)

And you have the first 10 invitations! The other six will be awarded in qualifiers, two elimination tournaments for each of the three disciplines, which I plan to hold in the last two weeks of July in the regular rooms. More information will be coming after I set the dates for the qualifiers.

SCHEDULING

Each round of the Duel Master will be held during one week of August, so the first round will be in the first week, and the finals in the last week.

Matches for the current round will begin on Sundays and end after the following Sundays. Keep in mind that with three duels per match, one should leave time equivalent to a challenge match when scheduling.

It is highly recommended to contest all three duels in a single night. Duelists who start but do not complete all three duels will be scored based on the current score of the match, unless one of the duelists failed to show up for further appointments. Duelists who do not complete any of the three duels will both be disqualified unless one of the duelists can show proof of contact or an attempt to contact, in which case that duelist will get a forfeit win.

...That should be it aside from the qualifier specifics, which will be coming shortly. Those who have already been invited need to post their acceptance of the invitation in this thread. Otherwise, please post if you plan to participate in the qualifiers so I can gauge how large they will be. And as always, any comments, questions, suggestions, or constructive criticism would be highly appreciated! :D
Last edited by Random McChanse on Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Don't underestimate me, for when I'm working I'm super shiny and sit on a post.

And I walk on ceilings, so try to mess with that, fool.
Xerzes
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Xerzes »

I accept.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

You know me, I'm in :)
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
Felix Pride
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Felix Pride »

Sounds like this will be good times. I'm all for it.
Rena A Cronin
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Rena A Cronin »

Ah heck...you know I got to be in now.
Harris
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
King Of The Outback

Post by Harris »

There can be only one.

Count me in.
Corlanthis
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Corlanthis »

Pending on requirements for the Qualifying tournaments, color me interested in those.
"LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR? IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?"
Bran Bale
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Triple Crown Winner

Post by Bran Bale »

I'll do it.
Cassius Gaius Maximius
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Gentleman Farmer

Post by Cassius Gaius Maximius »

Really, this would be quite empty without me.

I'm in.
Darren Drazen
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Darren Drazen »

I'll give it a shot
Illusia
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Illusia »

::signed::
Illusia Aradia Marcine-Drasoini
Proud wife of Dracos Drasoini
Former Two time Keeper of Fire
55th Mage of Twilight Isle
~*~Do not get to close to the fires, for you will indeed be burned by the love found within~*~
Lem DeAngelo
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Lem DeAngelo »

I'll likely register for the preLems.

-Lem
Cory
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The IronMan

Post by Cory »

Do I have to un-retire for this? If so, that's going to be a pain in the ass.
"I took your guilt and placed it into me..."
Random McChanse
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Random McChanse »

Since the fights will take place in the Annex, don't use the ranks, and don't affect the standings, you won't have to un-retire from DoM to fight the Magic duel.
Don't underestimate me, for when I'm working I'm super shiny and sit on a post.

And I walk on ceilings, so try to mess with that, fool.
Jason S
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Jason S »

I'm in

Return to “Duel Master Archives”