Dangerous Exploration

A collection of pretty posies.

Moderator: Craven Delights

Mylia
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Dangerous Exploration

Post by Mylia »

Spreading out for miles the underbelly of Rhydin Proper was like the great many heads of the infamous hydra. Their branching corridors never ending and each one a danger to those that entered unprepared and those that called these depths home. Many things dwelt in the shadows and damp depths. However there was one place they all avoided, a place full of tears and sorrow that filled the air with oppressive cold and unnatural fear.

It seems one was rather unaware of what was going on within the depths of that un-ventured track of catacomb. Mylia had been exploring for weeks now, yet every time she passed this area, she had to pause and wonder, before something eventually pushed her away. However, tonight, there was nothing to keep her curious nature at bay. Moving forwards through the corridor, she only paused to mark her place. It was like a breadcrumb on an extensive trail.

The air would grow colder the further any moved as the slow trickle of water carefully rose noting this to be a major junction spot. And with it came the weeping. Deep, pain wracked sobs that rent the air unnaturally as if they were the source of the cold and fear. No light came here as if any and all luminescence were repulsed.

A small gulp came and went while feet paused. The chilly breath of air upon her skin made her hold still, almost freeze in her steps all together. At the sounds of the weeping once more she found that her curiosity was peeked. Brows perked further upwards and she stepped further inwards. Even for her it was hard to see, no light even in the slightest made it harder to reflect what was there.

Louder the cries came thought wet and unclear as if behind a watered surface. Before long the tunnel opened into a wide chamber showing several drainage pits. The central sewar to be sure noting how some pipes would have labels where they came from. That's where the lights ended, the water pouring at regular intervals into a large pit, the crying coming from within.

At the edge of the pit she paused to gather what she could of her surroundings. Taking in names and directions. A few of the pipes she knew where she'd be when she came out. Good, she was learning her way around. Now about that crying. Her gaze lowered while she bit her lip, searching for the source.

There in knee deep water crouched a mis-shapen figure covered in sewage and tears. Around it floated a carnival of corpses in varying states of decay. Before it smallish legs kicked as if belonging to a child, the small figure struggled against what held it.

Mylia blinked, her form moving rather quickly with its new found grace. She looked from one opening to another before moving forwards towards the kicking legs. A small voice speaking out," Who would have done this to you? Are you alright?" A bit wary, watching as if something would come unannounced.

The legs stilled their twitching in the water though the sobbing continued. The body of a young girl, no more than twelve began to float away on the water, dull lifeless eyes looking up at nothing. Still the sobbing came, louder and more pronounced, as if invigorated by the child's death. The hunched figure's shoulders rose and fell with the sounds as it slowly began to turn, grime falling from thin hair as it returned to glorious luster. Muck fell to show platinum locks.

That got a reaction from Mylia, her eyes glued on the young girl and gaping wide. One hand lifted to her lips, holding down the startled cry. A small quiver came over her, her feet stepping back a bit when the figure before her turned and rose. Both of her eyes flickered to the locks, trying to seek the face while she tried to contain herself. At least she had no rapid heartbeat to show that this was slightly freaking her out.

Hands slowly going from skeletal to delicate covered the woman's face as she began to rise form the water as if on a rope and pulley. Still she cried but slowly words came in an incoherent jumble save one. 'Caaaain!" That one word would ring like thunder.

There was a pause, both eyes going wide. For a moment she was frozen in her steps by the sound of that name. Her head shook rapidly and then one more step drew her back. For a moment, footing was lost, she stumbled and gulped weakly. Her head turned to see what she had stumbled on, one guess. Twelve year old soulless eyes bored into her before she screamed.

As her screams overshadowed the crying, those tears found a pause. Hands fell away from an angelic face that could only be called breathtaking before a mouth opened impossibly wide showing a set of monstrous fangs, though these would be unseen as a demonic screech rent the air.

Her feet scrambled wildly, her head shaking madly. One foot pushed her upwards and forwards. She was moving for one of the out lets as fast as she could. Water could weigh her down all it liked, nothing could stop her at this point on her attempt to escape. All she had to do was keep from meeting the same fate as that girl.

A swirl of air and suddenly that face was in front of her, hands reaching like talons where the fingers stretched out impossibly long a madness in these eyes that were drowning pools of sorrow and madness.

Shaking her head wildly, she stumbled back, doing her best to keep the hands from her neck. Both lips pursed, hands swatting forwards to push the hands away. She was too busy to even notice those eyes. Living with vampires had warned her about a gaze.

A surge sent the arms reaching again, elongating impossibly so as the creature rushed to ensnare this being that'd entered her lair. Honey brown eyes with impossible hunger burned brightly as songs filled the air like a children’s choir.

When arms closed around her throat she thrashed roughly. Both of her eyes clenched shut, a long cry left her lips. Rough sobs left her, her nails reached up and gripped into his wrists. Nails clawed at the grip holding to her. The song brought widened eyes to bubble up with tears before she screamed out," Cain!!!" One foot surged forwards to kick at what was gripping to her.

At that lone name those honeyed eyes widened in a mixture of absolute rage and fear before hands were pulling as if to lift and throw. "NEVER THAT NAME SHALL YE SPEAK!" The words echoed like thunder in a bowl where acoustics echo and overlap.

A yelped scream left her lips when she hit the intended wall. A lone grunt, she slid down into the knee-deep water and then shifted up. Growling for a moment, but then the horror returned with a newfound surge. Both feet pulled her backwards along the wall, hugging to it and hoping an opening was near. Deep, sharp breaths pulled in and hardly given out," Who are you?!" Screamed out in horror. In the back of her name she continued to pray that Cain heard her. Something.

Another rush of wind came then as a tempest blew into the chamber at it's heart would be an electric wind of otherworldly energy and wrath. Crystal blues were the only visible presence in that storm of whipping wind and sound. Though the woman turned, eyes widen in that combination of resent and hatred as she rushed headlong at it all ready assuming a matching form.

An opening was found by Mylia and she didn't stick around, she ran. Her feet pushed her a long way down the catacombs, she didn't care where she went. Once she knew she was free from the cold, the woman, and the corpse, she collapsed. Her feet pushed her back against the furthest wall from the way she came. Both of her arms folded around her legs. Panting roughly she watched the way like a hawk, eyes wide and trembling.

Lights, sound, and screams came from down the tunnel as a literal war seemed to be raging. Nothing natural could be down there but the scent of Cain was in there. She had called, he had come. At much risk it seemed. At long last the cries died down, the lights faded, and all that remained was silence.

It still didn't mean she would move. As it was, she was horrified, frozen to her spot. When the silence came she began to sob, her face still lifted even while she watched the path. If she needed to, it wouldn't be hard for her to stand and run.

After what would seem like an eternity came the footsteps. Slow and counted with the faint jingle of metal on stone. The sound of spurs. The closer the sound came, the more the shadows seemed to creep back down the tunnel as if pulling back and away from his path. Blood ran down his sides and face in countless places, but the blood on his hands said it was not all one sided injuries.

A sob of relief left her lips. Her frame rose upwards and she moved for him. She was shaking like a leaf. One arm looped around him, helping him brace herself. The smell of blood, she had to ignore it so breathing stopped. She started to help him move to a place that she knew he was safe despite her sobbing and her jumbled nerves.

An arm around her shoulders he seemed to support her more than anything. The cuts were healing even as she rushed to him. But the blood would be there regardless until he could wipe it away. "Never. Go. there." All he said before the tunnels began to shift and they returned to 'his region' of the catacombs.

Once they made it to a dead end, a room like chamber she paused. Both hands moved over to him, checking on his wounds. She sighed in relief, knowing in no time he'd be alright. Her eyes locked to his, she nodded, and then slid down against a wall. She understood his warning but her own question blurted out," Who was that?"

At that question he didn't say anything just turned away, removing his vest to be cleaned and took a seat on one of the many stone chairs. Lighting a candle, though not needed he set it on a dresser, inadvertently illuminating a painting with the face scratched over. The painting of a woman in white with platinum curls.

Both eyes locked on the scratched over painting before she pushed forwards. The panting was ran over with a brush of her fingertips before she turned to look at him. Her head shook from side to side," I don't get it... If she's one of us why is she like that?" Both of her eyes closed and she slumped down, giving out a small sob," That little girl..."

"First." Again came that scratchy voice before Myra brought in a porceline bowl with steaming water and a cloth with soap.

Mylia nodded to Myra, a hand reaching out and insisting that she do this. While they trembled, she dipped her hand forwards and started to wipe at his face," I see..." Biting back a few tears so that she could clean him up.

Elbows rest on knees as he bent over to remove boots with infinite care though the clothing was all discarded as just material. But his eyes were on her drifting between relief and anger. Though anger at who could be anyone's guess.

Her head lowered, hands trembling as she whimpered out. Small whimpers left her lips, her hands folded at her lap while she whispered out," I'm sorry... I'm so sorry." That wasn't going to make the images go away, not really go away. Finally tears began to fall free.

A hand came out then and touched her chin, subtle hints at wanting her to look at him even as a shift of cloth and sound brought him to kneel before her, eyes steady and even in that moment no longer caught between emotions.

Both eyes lifted, locking with his while she spoke out," I just wanted to know... And when I saw the girl kicking..." More tears came as she moved into him and sobbed out. Her face buring in one of his shoulders even while she continued tremble.

Those arms closed in about her protectively to let her cry and get it all out. He wouldn’t judge or admonish as she had not known. None of them did and he preferred it that way. Though the girls knew there were other dangers within the catacombs, they didn't know a few of them were of his own making.

Both arms continued to wrap tightly around his neck. Tears bubbling for a moment or two before she spoke up to him," I won't do it again... I'm sorry." Both hands lifted upwards, wiping her eyes, and then giving a small sniffle out.

He didn't say anything just held her before slowly lowering his arms to look at her as if to say 'I was more scared than you could ever be.' Before that madness began to creep in, crystalline blues reverting to their swirling stormy depths.

Simply she nodded, letting out a small sniffle and wiping her eyes a bit more. Her head lowered slowly, murmuring out to him lightly," Thank you for coming.." Giving a small pained smile to him. She'd be alright soon enough.
Maerlyna
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Maerlyna »

Fingers played against her cheek at those words. A light touch before he let out a low laugh, head shaking as he rose to stand, mind reaching out to call the others in. Though he had not wanted to do this, he would have to be done now. Turning while the women came he took down the marred painting.

May, Maer, both stepped in at the summon rather quickly. Mylia however, remained in her spot, still trying to gather herself. She gulped softly, waiting for what was to come as she nodded to all sisters in turn. Eventually, her copper gaze turned to lock on Cain. Curiosity once again inflamed.

Setting the painting down before him where it faced them all six of them a pained look overcame his features as memories began to flow. Memories of madness and confusion trying to find the way. Visions of that early time when he found how to save his mind. And of Moraine.

May didn't seem to show emotion, it all sort of swept through her lightly, however... Maer nearly collapsed with the maddening thoughts that pushed through her mind. It was something to process and she was new, just new and unprepared. When the memories hit Mylia's mind, a small sob let her lips, her head turning away. A stare came from May, a cold one, when news of what had happened moments before came over her.

A basic explanation in those visions though no words came forth. However a meaning followed the end of the history lesson. For each of them to stay away from that place and the one therein. Turning his back on them all, he set the painting back up in it's place in that long line. Then it was back to getting the blood cleaned off. Slowly he undid his buckles and removed his pants, shifting to kneel before that steaming bowl.

May simply scoffed with aggravation and turned, stepping out of the door with a bit of a growl on her lips. Her foot kicked out of the room at something before she vanished from sight. Maer moved to help Cain, lifting the rag and wiping him clean while Mylia lingered, taking a few deep breaths here and there to sooth her. It was right about this time that she noticed she was sopping wet. Sopping wet. She stood and started towards the door, glancing back to Cain and bowing her head. She needed time to dry off and clean up herself.

He looked at Mylia then and let out a light breath, motioning for Myra and Mesha to see to her, to help her bathe. Comfort her until he could do so himself. However his mind followed May out, he'd need to speak with her as well though guessing at what brought about her ire at all of this perhaps his bed would be a puppy pile once more.

Maer dabbed at his cheek, cleaning off the blood while she sought answers in his eyes. With her it was always about him, always wondering if he was alright. Her other hand moved to brush at her hair, giving a small comb before murmuring out to him softly," I'm glad you're safe." The rag was cleaned off, rung out, and then moved to wipe at his sides.

He'd been working more on the gifts they gave him, and it had been taking some work but finally he'd grasped enough to take on his own voice for brief moments. "I should wall that path off." Simple words even as he watched her, his Muse.

Still wiping him down, her rag wiping at his other sides before she nodded," It would keep us safe. What if she chooses to venture from that place?" Her hand brushed up through his hair for a brief moment. Giving his lips a kiss before whispering," She would come for you... Hurt you." That was something she couldn't take.

The kiss returned before shaking his head. "She has had ample opportunity to. She does not leave there. Food comes to her through the drains like the little girl, who's still savable, but I dare not." Cain showing heart? Perhaps a revelation.

"Why not? What could happen?" Once the side was clean, she looked over him to see if there was anywhere else that she needed to clean up," You saw how it effected Myli.." Maer bit her lip, worried that the image might have more of an effect on Myli than possible.

"This life upon a child? I have no desire to make more monsters." That was all he said before looking to her. "I have used much this night...must rest with dawn so close...." Carefully he rose up then and moved towards his bed all but collapsing upon it, arms curling under blue pillows.

She moved after him and slid down over him. Her hands ran over his back, giving soft rubs while she murmured out to him," Are you hungry?" Running her fingers over anywhere stress or worry remained.

"I'll eat later. Now I just need to rest and be with my family." Thoughts reach out pulling May back in all of her agitated glory, inviting her to lay with them if she desired.

Appearing at the door, her arms folded over her chest, was none other than May. A deep breath taken, her head shaking from side to side. She gave him a weak smile and motioned to Mylia's room before moving that way. May was going to go be a sister and comfort her sister. Maer frowned, shifting down besides him and brushing her fingers along his brow," Drink... Please love?" Her wrist being offered," I will talk with May when you're done."

"Mara is hunting right now. I will borrow from what she ingests." Even as the words came forth some of his color began to return hair taking on a more vibrant shade of auburn before he looked at Maer. It was not a rejection, not by any means though he lifted and kissed her wrist with a brush of his fang.*

Her wrist lowered, she nodded, and returned her hand to run through his hair. Slowly she leaned forwards, giving a kiss to his brow before drawing back," I love you..." Lifting his hand and giving it a kiss," But you scared the wits out of me when you left so suddenly."

"I would do it again...for all of you." Came his reply before rolling to look up at her. She above all knew the precarious line he walked in that place between man and monster.

A small nod given while a loving smile forms," And we know that." Kissing one finger at a time, she locks her eyes with his. Always, the madness in them troubled her, she always wished there was a way to ease it.

He watched her kiss each finger as some of the madness crept away. "I now you know that I know that you know." A joke perhaps? He lay back down, eyes closing wearily.

"Sleep love... I'll be here when you wake." Smiling to him and nestling in. Her head moved to rest on his shoulder, one hand still holding his as she kissed it. Giving him much deserved adoration.

"And I'm glad for it." A smile then as arms flow around her pulling close and possessive.

Return to “Ring around the Rosie”